Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium slow withdrawal after 20+years

[Ly...]

Hi, I’m looking for help. I watched a This is Life with Lisa Ling episode (season 6 episode2) the Benzo crisis. I’ve been taking 4mg Valium 3x day for 20 years. I went to a rehab 10 years ago and they basically just stopped it cold turkey. I’m surprised that I’m still alive. 4 months after that my doc put me back on because I was totally unfunctional. Anyway I watched this show and saw how a woman was weaning off 1/100 mg per day - She got help from this forum. My long time doctor in Philadelphia is now semi-retired - and I’m having a hard time finding a doctor who is willing to help, let alone prescribe. I wish I’d never taken this… I live in South NJ, Is there anyone out there with advice, or help me find a Doc who will help me? I have tried over and over to taper, so hard. Thank you

[Pa...]

Hello @[Ly...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm so sorry to hear how much pain you endured only to have to go back on and face this again, we understand how discouraging this is.

We can help you taper from the Valium as long as you have a steady supply, but it sounds like you're concerned this may be a problem.  We suggest reducing by about 5-10% every few weeks but what works better is using your symptoms to determine when to make a reduction, this will hopefully keep you functional.

Please elaborate on your concerns about a steady supply, so we can make suggestions about possibly finding a new caregiver. 

We're glad you found us and hope we can help you.

@[Pa...]