Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Which to taper first, Seroquel or Klonopin

[Be...]

Hello,

I am new here but need help. I have been on benzos for 20 yrs, then to a detox facility twice where they rapidly tapered me off using Phenobarbital, then Seroquel. The Seroquel only made me feel irritable and anxious, so I ended up going back on Klonopin 0.5 three times a day. I also am still taking the Seroquel 100 mg at night, and 600 mg of Gabapentin. I just want to get off all of this crap, but know it’s going to be hell. Which one should I taper first? I’m starting this in August after visiting my newborn grandson. What do you guys think?

[Co...]

Hello @[Be...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Are you intending to quit Klonopin, Seroquel, and Gabapentin?

Why was Seroquel and Gabapentin prescribed? And for how long have you been taking them? And, for how long were you off Klonopin (and when did your reinstate)?

Have you talked with your doctor about your wish to quit all these meds? Presumably, quitting Klonopin was already discussed before you attended the detox facility. But were Seroquel and Gabapentin intended as stop-gap measures only? And when did you start taking these?

Apologies for all the questions; I am just trying to better understand your situation.

[Be...]

I’ve been on Klonopin for about 7 years now. Before that it was Xanax and Ambien. I went to detox and got off of those in 8 days. The doctor put me on Seroquel 100mg for sleep, and also added gabapentin for same. After barely any sleep and crazy dreams when I did fall asleep here and there, I went to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with ADHD after much convincing on my part, mostly because I wanted something to give me energy!! He put me on Adderall and I was able to function and go to work. Of course that made my insomnia worse, so I asked him for a longer acting benzo, not revealing that I had gone through detox twice. I knew I was just going to have to give in again, so he put me on Klonopin. I currently take all of these meds, and just want to wean off every one! Not sure where to start though.

[Co...]

Hi @[Be...]

It is hard to suggest what you might taper off first. There might be some merit to quitting your most recent meds first, and then tapering off Klonopin (more gradually). On the other hand, the newer meds might help you cope with your Klonopin taper better, so the Klonopin would be tapered first.

Did you attempt to taper off Klonopin before you attended the detox centre?

[id...]

Normally I'd say taper off of Klonopin first but since you weren't on the other meds for long and those are "dirty" meds (impacting many receptors) it might be better to taper off of those first before your body alters those receptors to adjust to the meds.

I'd start with Seroquel first and maybe do Adderall at the same time since those two counteract each other. Usually it's not the wisest idea to taper 2 meds at once but in this case you might have to.

[Be...]
15 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Hi @[Be...]

It is hard to suggest what you might taper off first. There might be some merit to quitting your most recent meds first, and the tapering off Klonopin (more gradually). On the other hand, the newer meds might help you cope with your Klonopin taper better, so the Klonopin would be tapered first.

Did you attempt to taper off Klonopin before you attended the detox centre?

No, I didn’t. Thank you for your advice. I was kind of leaning in that direction. It’s going to be a bumpy ride, I know, and I’m scared to death! I only have my husband for support, and although he thinks he understands what I’m facing, he truly doesn’t, and I’ve got no one else. I hope I can lean on the folks here who I know will totally get it! 

[Mo...]
1 hour ago, [[B...] said:

No, I didn’t. Thank you for your advice. I was kind of leaning in that direction. It’s going to be a bumpy ride, I know, and I’m scared to death! I only have my husband for support, and although he thinks he understands what I’m facing, he truly doesn’t, and I’ve got no one else. I hope I can lean on the folks here who I know will totally get it! 

So glad you found this site. Tapering can be a very scary thing, but knowing you are not alone in this can really help a lot. We're here to help each other because we can relate to each other, where even very well-meaning people can never get what we go through. Keep us updated!

[Co...]
4 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Sorry, 'leaning in which direction'? Which meds do you think you will quit first?

Many of our members arrive here following an unsuccessful at a detox center. The problem is, of course - and as you well know - withdrawal effects can far outlast the rapid taper at the detox center. The solution is to follow a far more gentle taper the next time round.

And of course you can lean on your fellow Buddies - that's what BB is all about. ;)