Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Articles on the science behind withdrawal

[Mi...]

Does anyone have any articles on the science behind withdrawal from benzos?

I recall seeing one on here about the hormonal reactions in the body as we go through this. It was written by a doctor, but I cannot seem to find it now. 

[he...]

@[Mi...] Please note that with benzos, many of us experience more than withdrawal. Withdrawal is only a portion of the insanity; the rest has been named, by some groups, BIND (Benzodiazepine-Induced Neurological Dysfunction) and refers to the injury sustained by the body that can take weeks, months, or years to heal from fully. Unfortunately we don't have many articles that discuss exactly what happens to the body with BIND outside of discussion of GABAARs (GABA(A) Receptors) being "down-regulated," the calming neurotransmitter, GABA, having little to no effect on them, and the receptors having to come back online before healing can occur. I think most of us know there is much more to it than that, as every body system can be affected in dramatic fashion.

• Like 3