Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tapering from 2mg at BT

[Wh...]

I’m in my 50’s and I’ve been on Klonopin for 15 or more years originally prescribed by several p-docs and then my MD’s for severe insomnia, anxiety, panic attacks, PTSD and myoclonus “hypnic jerks”. I tried about everything prior to the Klonopin for my issues, I admit it has helped but I feel trapped by this drug. I’m on 2mg at bedtime, I asked my doctor about tapering and he said it was totally up to me but felt it has helped me. My original starting dose was around.5mg 3x daily 15 plus years ago. I see a psychologist weekly and asked him and the reply was about the same as my MD saying it was up to me. I’m prescribed 1mg 3x daily but never take it during the day so I always have meds left at my next refill.,I’d like to slowly taper down at a rate that’s comfortable. Any suggestions? I’ve read 5% and hold but mentally I don’t feel like I can do that much. I have a small jeweler’s scale I can use that’s very accurate in grams. 

Edited by [Wh...]
Edit

[pi...]

Hello @[Wh...],

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! 

Are you having issues with the klonopin such as tolerance or inter dose withdrawal symptoms? Do you have a plan in place to deal with the myoclonus, anxiety and panic? 

There is a lot of information out now about long term benzo use contributing to cognitive issues as well as memory problems. So I am not discouraging you from tapering, I personally think long term benzo use is very detrimental in most cases.

You can taper as slowly as you wish. It’s good you have a scale, it will help make more accurate reductions. Some people make very tiny reductions in order to minimize withdrawal symptoms as much as possible.

This is your taper so you should be in charge of the taper rate. You might start out even less than 5% and see how your body feels. Additionally, waiting 10-14 days between cuts is suggested. 

We are happy to support and encourage you through this process. You might do some reading before you start. Here is a good place to begin:

https://benzobuddies.org/benzodiazepine-withdrawal-methods/titration/

Keep posting, we’re here to help.

• Like 1

[Wh...]

Thanks, I’m going to talk to my psychologist this week but I don’t seem to be having any issues with the medication that I know of. Yeah I kinda need a plan in place. A lot has been happening lately and it’s been quite stressful so I might let things smooth out a bit before trying 

[pi...]
Just now, [[W...] said:

Thanks, I’m going to talk to my psychologist this week but I don’t seem to be having any issues with the medication that I know of. Yeah I kinda need a plan in place. A lot has been happening lately and it’s been quite stressful so I might let things smooth out a bit before trying 

You are doing the right thing. Starting a taper during stressful times is not a recipe for success. It can be done but you might as well wait until things settle down.

I think it’s a great idea to speak to your psychologist. There are a lot of modalities to deal with anxiety and panic such as CBT, meditation and controlled breathing techniques. 

For now you can do a lot of reading so you can choose the best plan for yourself. 

Please ask questions, we’re here to help.

• Like 1

[Wh...]
Posted (edited)

I do have a question I haven’t found an answer to online, as said I’ve had some stressful events and disappointments lately and it has increased my anxiety levels. Say this increase in anxiety is related to “tolerance’, is the taper process the same? I’ve always been curious about tolerance, interdose withdrawals and tapering at the same time. Hopefully my question makes sense 

Edited by [Wh...]

[pi...]

Tolerance is when the dose is no longer effective, requiring increasing doses to achieve the original effect. Inter dose withdrawal is when you feel withdrawal symptoms between doses.

I was in tolerance for a while but knew the drug was making me sick. I did taper even though I was having symptoms of tolerance. If your increase in anxiety is due to tolerance the choices are to updose or taper. For myself, the only real choice was to taper.

Stress can cause all sorts of issues and anxiety. Have these stressors  resolved? 

• Like 1

[Wh...]
3 hours ago, [[p...] said:

Tolerance is when the dose is no longer effective, requiring increasing doses to achieve the original effect. Inter dose withdrawal is when you feel withdrawal symptoms between doses.

I was in tolerance for a while but knew the drug was making me sick. I did taper even though I was having symptoms of tolerance. If your increase in anxiety is due to tolerance the choices are to updose or taper. For myself, the only real choice was to taper.

Stress can cause all sorts of issues and anxiety. Have these stressors  resolved? 

Yes the stressors have passed but with me the I kinda hold on to things something I’m trying to work on or I over over analyze and ruminate, health anxiety doesn’t help much either. Guess you could say I have triggers that spark my anxiety/depressive episodes. Thanks again 

• Like 1

[Wh...]
On 22/07/2024 at 11:25, [[W...] said:

Yes the stressors have passed but with me the I kinda hold on to things something I’m trying to work on or I over over analyze and ruminate, health anxiety doesn’t help much either. Guess you could say I have triggers that spark my anxiety/depressive episodes. Thanks again 

Well I decided to try a very slow taper and I hope there are no downsides to my method. I know everything I've read says go at your own pace. So Im on 2mg at bedtime, l decided to cut only one of my two pills, the pill weighs 169 grams so l cut only one to 167 grams, again I know it's not much. Any negatives in doing such small cuts and holding vs say 5% of the entire dose?