Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Heart palpitations that last and ruin my day

1 minute ago, [[v...] said:

@[...] Wren, if I may ask, what does your morning routine look like, from when you wake up until mid-morning? Also, what do you eat and drink during that time?  Asking because I'm thinking if you change up your routine, it might possibly help with avoiding the heart palpitations.

@[vo...]i wake up and usually get my family situated with their day breakfast, plans etc.  I try to shower before all of this.  I don’t drink coffee i will usually have some sort of smoothie for breakfast and I try to take it slow. I’ve made myself obsolete through this so when they leave I have nothing to do.  I have no purpose anymore 

4 hours ago, [[B...] said:

@[...]I am in a similar situation. Two things have helped. I take 20 mg propranolol before I get up, it slows the pounding heart.  Have breakfast. Do deep breathing while waiting for my breakfast to digest. Yesterday I did some reflexology to ease my diaphragm ( someone suggested it on BBs )and it worked.  Mine is beginning to ease again after going from just mornings to all day like you, due to a wave. I was desperate as all day I was like a fish out of water, couldn't relax and breathe and the anxiety was so high I was dealing with amygdala hijack as well. I take a small dose of beta blockers but dosage may vary for others. For depression I am on Clomiprimine 60mg. This wave has been horrendous due to trying to reduce the Clomiprimine too quickly The other med I use occasionally is promethazine which was prescribed for me but you can get it other the counter. It's an anti histamine that helps with sleeping. This combination is really helping me at the moment. Previously, before the wave I hadn't needed to take them (apart from Clomiprimine) for a long time and had no problems stopping them. Do what you must do at the moment. We all need to survive. I also use a low histamine, low glutamate diet. Best of luck to you, hope you get some peace today., 🙏

Thank you for this insight @[Bl...].  I will try to follow a similar diet.  I appreciate your sharing your experience 🙏🏻

[Bl...]

Ignore last post I made an error and don't know how to remove the name link,🤦🏻‍♀️

[he...]

@[...]I've been dealing with heart palpitations the entire time I was on the benzo and now 14.5 months off, but I had them before benzo to much less an extent, and they have gotten much better since getting off. I rarely notice them anymore or even have them but randomly on Saturday around 5pm, my resting heart rate increased from a usual 60 to 80 bpm to 110 to 130 bpm and I was having multiple SVTs (supraventricular tachycardias) per minute. It feels like a bird is trapped flapping around in your chest. It was unpleasant, but I knew it was BIND (benzo injury), so I just went "hmm" and went about my day. By 11pm, they were gone.

It sounds like yours might be more triggered by panic and the inability to calm down, which is par for course with what we go through. The best advice I can give is sit and deep breathe and/or meditate. The Calm app was one of the few things that ever helped during this journey. I never thought it would, but I would sit and do a guided meditation, and I was always in better shape afterward. The beta blocker, propranolol, seems to be the best tolerated in general and around here, but some people have had bad reactions to coming off of it, so I won't say it's a miracle drug; there really are none, but it could provide some help until this stuff subsides.

• Like 1

[Tr...]

So sorry for your condition. I have used Propranolol at low doses and it was succesful at keeping my heart rate normal. I would suggest to avoid hight doses of this beta blocker and monitor daily your hear rate and if you notice that it is too slow, your blood pressure is too low or you feel that the Propranolol is making you too tired, to decrease your dose.

When after a month or two you feel that the tachycardia is over, you could slowly taper off Propranolol. You can decrease the dose every week and stop over a period of 2-3 weeks. You should never stop CT a beta blocker. 

Over a period of 3 months I tried first Bisoprolol, but it gave me nasty stomach and intestinal problems, then Atenolol, which caused very unpleasant pins and needles sensations, afterwards Nebivolol, which could not keep the tachycardia under control at all and finally Propranolol. 

Edited by [Tr...]