Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Constant chest/heart worries

[TH...]

I've spoken about this before on here and as I'm dropping further it's getting worse and worse which is to be expected. But now I'm seriously convinced it's something other than withdrawal. 

I really need some help on how to deal with the barrage of chest and heart pain I keep getting daily now. It used to be every now and then but since I've dropped to 3mg, it's daily. I keep waking up around 2-3 every single morning and not dropping off again till like 5-6. Then I just wake up in horrendous fear that I'm waiting for the inevitable to happen. The pain is like a squeezing/tight feeling that never goes away, just eases after a while. I've got all the signs of a heart attack...get rapid heart rate when doing daily tasks. Pain in my calves. It's just too much. I've had tests, ecgs etc and all fine but I just can't believe it whatsoever when feeling like this. I feel like I'm being lied too. I spend most of my days fearing or waiting for something bad to happen. I get annoyed and angry at little things like neighbours making noise or people walking past the house. 

I really need reassurance...I can't take anymore. It's too much. 

Edited by [TH...]

[vo...]

@[TH...] Hi. You've mentioned you've had tests done to rule out anything wrong with your heart, so it would seem you are only going through withdrawal symptoms similar to so many in this group. Some insomnia, heart palpitations, etc. What was your dosage before you dropped to 3mg? How long were you on the previous dosage? Just asking to see if maybe you reduced too fast. What type of pain do you feel in your calves?

Edited by [vo...]

[TH...]
8 minutes ago, [[v...] said:

@[TH...] Hi. You've mentioned you've had tests done to rule out anything wrong with your heart, so it would seem you are only going through withdrawal symptoms similar to so many in this group. Some insomnia, heart palpitations, etc. What was your dosage before you dropped to 3mg? How long were you on the previous dosage? Just asking to see if maybe you reduced too fast. What type of pain do you feel in your calves?

Hi, I was on 3.25mg. Been dropping .25mg every 2-3 weeks. Depending on how my body is feeling. But the last week or so has been so bad. The calve pain is like a grabbing/squeezing pain. 

[vo...]

@[TH...] It doesn't sound like you dropped too fast at those mg. Are you planning on making smaller cuts as you get to lower dosages? That seems to work best for most people to keep symptoms from ramping up. The calf pain sounds like a typical withdrawal symptom. You haven't mentioned anything that's too unusual...I think you just need to power through this....you can do it. We all have to - it's the only way we're going to heal ourselves.

[TH...]
54 minutes ago, [[v...] said:

@[TH...] It doesn't sound like you dropped too fast at those mg. Are you planning on making smaller cuts as you get to lower dosages? That seems to work best for most people to keep symptoms from ramping up. The calf pain sounds like a typical withdrawal symptom. You haven't mentioned anything that's too unusual...I think you just need to power through this....you can do it. We all have to - it's the only way we're going to heal ourselves.

Well I have been thinking about dropping even slower but I can't work it out for the life of me. Maths isn't my strong point. 

I'm thinking of sticking with 3mg for another 2 weeks so will be 6 weeks in all. Then try and drop to 2.75mg. Do you have any links or help to show me how to drop even slower? 

[ch...]

i had this for quite a while and palpitations my partner is a nurse and we recorded them i had 17 in the space of a few minutes what is quite a few ! 
they have subsided now im 10 months out but i still get them now and again , i used to wake up with my chest pounding to and heart feeling like it’s going to explode ! 
things will get better once you stop the med and give it some time 

[vo...]
2 hours ago, [[T...] said:

Well I have been thinking about dropping even slower but I can't work it out for the life of me. Maths isn't my strong point. 

I'm thinking of sticking with 3mg for another 2 weeks so will be 6 weeks in all. Then try and drop to 2.75mg. Do you have any links or help to show me how to drop even slower? 

@[TH...]I'm being taper coached myself by someone here on BB. I'm including @[Cr...] in this reply so he sees your question. He may be able to suggest a taper that would work or bring someone else into this conversation that can help.

I'm adding @[...] because I see she's online now, so maybe she can jump in and help.

Edited by [vo...]

[PE...]

The brain is searching good for finding stuff to worry about at this stage.

As 99% of posts here is buddy's worrying about stuff.

Worrying is just a symptom. 

You done a hell of you job I know!

Take care.

• Like 3

[PE...]

Palpitations is really common i think most of us had it at one point.

Hi, @[TH...]. I know you'll hardly believe me but i'm sure there is nothing to be concerned too much about, especially since you had all the tests done and was told everything was ok. Various heart symptoms are pretty common while tapering or for a while afterwards. I wasn't always that sure myself and there was time when i called ambulance to check exactly on my heart three times on end only to be told not to worry, relax and try to distract myself after all the checking stuff.

All the wd symptoms we go through can feel just unbearable and yet they don't meen we're really ill.

I agree, perhaps, you need to adjust your taper to lessen the heart issues. You can start a new thread concerning this on Benzodiazepine Taper Strategies. Try not to worry too much. Good luck!

[Cr...]
12 hours ago, [[T...] said:

Sorry you are experiencing such harsh symptoms, Will. If you have had check-ups and tests done, ruling anything serious out, it is probably a safe bet to just assume these are merely uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms.

Anxiety itself (no wd) can even cause palpitations, chest pain, and pounding heart feelings. Factor in withdrawal and these symptoms may have an extra layer of intensity, even waking us up in the middle of the night. Your fear of these symptoms is most likely adding your own natural anxiety into the mix and causing them to seem even more intense than they are. 

Benzos also relax muscles, so withdrawal from them will likely have the opposite effect and cause tension which can lead to dull pain. Anxiety can also cause tension. That could be a factor in your calf pain.

With tests ruling serious issues out, your goal should be to focus on accepting the presence of these uncomfortable sensations in order to decrease your fear of them. You cannot mentally/physically force these scary symptoms away as that would be picking a fight with them. Try to avoid fight or flight responses when it comes to these symptoms by accepting them as unwanted house (body) guests. They will get evicted eventually, but sadly you will have to wait until then. Luckily they may only act up every so often.

Smaller cuts or longer holds "might" help, but these symptoms may also just be from the recovery going on in your body from the culmination of many of your previous cuts. It may not be about your rate being fast, but that your body is in a wave of sorts from the healing that is taking place.

Do not forget that slow tapers do not always guarantee mild symptoms. Healing does not just start after your very last dose but also occurs during your taper. Your chest symptoms may be a reflection of your current recovery as well as your own anxiety about the symptoms that very reco very brings with it.

Before you choose to slow down your taper, keep that in mind.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
[ry...]

I’m really sorry you’re dealing with this and hope it has gotten better. I’m currently doing the same thing searching for common threads and reassurance that what I’m feeling in my chest is not serious. I’m relatively ok now from withdrawal, but I have had a constant tightness or pressure directly on my heart. It feels like somebody is stretching my heart with their hands. The problem is with the heart it can’t be ignored or is the scariest. What if it’s the one time you don’t do anything I always ask. But I’ve been to the E.R., EKG, and other test and I’m fine. But it’s finally died down but still makes it difficult to move around. Hopefully knowing you’re not alone and that other people have the same thing and are ok helps you. Hang in there and get better.

• Like 1

[TH...]
8 hours ago, [[r...] said:

I’m really sorry you’re dealing with this and hope it has gotten better. I’m currently doing the same thing searching for common threads and reassurance that what I’m feeling in my chest is not serious. I’m relatively ok now from withdrawal, but I have had a constant tightness or pressure directly on my heart. It feels like somebody is stretching my heart with their hands. The problem is with the heart it can’t be ignored or is the scariest. What if it’s the one time you don’t do anything I always ask. But I’ve been to the E.R., EKG, and other test and I’m fine. But it’s finally died down but still makes it difficult to move around. Hopefully knowing you’re not alone and that other people have the same thing and are ok helps you. Hang in there and get better.

Thank you. 

It's really scary but like I said, I've had tests etc and all seem ok. But it's so hard to convince myself that everything's fine. Glad yours has died down. I just pray recovery on us all. 

[Bo...]
On 20/07/2024 at 11:36, [[T...] said:

I've spoken about this before on here and as I'm dropping further it's getting worse and worse which is to be expected. But now I'm seriously convinced it's something other than withdrawal. 

I really need some help on how to deal with the barrage of chest and heart pain I keep getting daily now. It used to be every now and then but since I've dropped to 3mg, it's daily. I keep waking up around 2-3 every single morning and not dropping off again till like 5-6. Then I just wake up in horrendous fear that I'm waiting for the inevitable to happen. The pain is like a squeezing/tight feeling that never goes away, just eases after a while. I've got all the signs of a heart attack...get rapid heart rate when doing daily tasks. Pain in my calves. It's just too much. I've had tests, ecgs etc and all fine but I just can't believe it whatsoever when feeling like this. I feel like I'm being lied too. I spend most of my days fearing or waiting for something bad to happen. I get annoyed and angry at little things like neighbours making noise or people walking past the house. 

If you have it daily, its probably not a heart attack. They can see on your ecg if you had one. Its probably stress and/or hyperventilating. I have that and it mimicks the feeling of a heart attack. Its very scary, but not harmful. 

[An...]
On 20/07/2024 at 05:36, [[T...] said:

How old are you?

Male or Female?

Are you overweight?

What is your diet like?

[TH...]
On 30/07/2024 at 10:01, [[A...] said:

How old are you?

Male or Female?

Are you overweight?

What is your diet like?

I'm 35, male, not overweight no. My diet isn't too bad. I eat a lot of fruit, veg. Trying to leave out the chocolate and sugary sweets. 

[Tr...]

Hello @[TH...], am very sorry that you feel like this. I have the same problem with heart palpitations and chest pain/squeezing after reducing my Clonazepam dose from 0.5 to 0.375 mg within 2 weeks. 

May I ask how you feel now? Did the palpitations and chest pain subside? Are you still on 3.00 mg or did you reinstate to 3.25 mg?

Thanks in advance for your reply! I hope that you feel better!

Edited by [Tr...]

[TH...]
3 hours ago, [[T...] said:

Hello @[TH...], am very sorry that you feel like this. I have the same problem with heart palpitations and chest pain/squeezing after reducing my Clonazepam dose from 0.5 to 0.375 mg within 2 weeks. 

May I ask how you feel now? Did the palpitations and chest pain subside? Are you still on 3.00 mg or did you reinstate to 3.25 mg?

Thanks in advance for your reply! I hope that you feel better!

Hi Triny. 

It's a really scary symptom right? Sorry to hear you're going through it yourself. 

I have good days and bad days with it. I've noticed aswell that it all depends on what I eat. There's a link between the brain, heart and gut so I'm assuming it's related to that. I'm still on 3mg today but managed to get the liquid Valium from my dr's so will be picking that up tomorrow. 

Thank you for your concern. I hope you feel better soon also. 

• Like 1

[Tr...]
29 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

Hi Triny. 

It's a really scary symptom right? Sorry to hear you're going through it yourself. 

I have good days and bad days with it. I've noticed aswell that it all depends on what I eat. There's a link between the brain, heart and gut so I'm assuming it's related to that. I'm still on 3mg today but managed to get the liquid Valium from my dr's so will be picking that up tomorrow. 

Thank you for your concern. I hope you feel better soon also. 

Hello, thank you so much for the swift answer! I am glad that you are feeling better and will continue soon your taper! Good luck!

[En...]
On 20/07/2024 at 04:36, [[T...] said:

I had this a few months ago after going for a walk. I felt a pain in my heart that I never felt before. Then I got shoulder pain. I thought for sure something was wrong and had massive health anxiety. I ended up calling an ambulance and went to the hospital and spent all day there getting tests done. Worst day of my life with anxiety. Ended up nothing was wrong but I had peace of mind knowing it was all withdrawal. 

• Like 1

[TH...]
14 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

I had this a few months ago after going for a walk. I felt a pain in my heart that I never felt before. Then I got shoulder pain. I thought for sure something was wrong and had massive health anxiety. I ended up calling an ambulance and went to the hospital and spent all day there getting tests done. Worst day of my life with anxiety. Ended up nothing was wrong but I had peace of mind knowing it was all withdrawal. 

I'm glad it wasn't nothing serious. Have you had it since? I've had the paramedics out like 5 times over 2 years. They took me in once and had tests etc, all fine. I just can't seem to get convinced its just withdrawal. It's driving me up the wall. Plus I've recently lost all enjoyment for the things I previously enjoyed doing. I'm literally just waiting to go to bed and do it all again the next day. 

• Like 1

[En...]
2 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

I'm glad it wasn't nothing serious. Have you had it since? I've had the paramedics out like 5 times over 2 years. They took me in once and had tests etc, all fine. I just can't seem to get convinced its just withdrawal. It's driving me up the wall. Plus I've recently lost all enjoyment for the things I previously enjoyed doing. I'm literally just waiting to go to bed and do it all again the next day. 

Yes I had it more after the hospital visit but I didnt panic because I knew I had a bunch of tests done. Had blood work done ekg and all fine. If you had tests done and all is normal it is just withdrawal symptoms. 

The lack of enjoyment is called emotional blunting. I had this as well. I still get it when I'm in a wave like right now. I had windows where pleasures came back. It is a withdrawal symptom as well. It will all go away with time. 

• Like 2