Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Full body burning/ sun burn like feeling

[Lu...]

Curious if anyone has had this? 

Since my cold turkey in February I have had small patches of burning skin. Maybe thigh for a couple minutes or a hand. But starting about a week ago I have been having full body sun burn like feeling. Almost to where it is uncomfortable to have clothes on or have my skin touching things like the seat of my car for example or the blankets of my bed. Skin is not warm to the touch, but feels like I have a terrible sun burn all over. So weird. Curious if anyone can relate. This one makes me nervous 

• Sad 1

[Ma...]

Hi again, Lucas! This is very common. Sometimes you feel like you’re sweating, but there’s no perspiration too?

Last summer I used ice packs around the clock. And Tylenol. And a fan.

Rest assured this too shall pass ❤️‍🩹 

• Sad 1

[vo...]
7 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Curious if anyone has had this? 

Since my cold turkey in February I have had small patches of burning skin. Maybe thigh for a couple minutes or a hand. But starting about a week ago I have been having full body sun burn like feeling. Almost to where it is uncomfortable to have clothes on or have my skin touching things like the seat of my car for example or the blankets of my bed. Skin is not warm to the touch, but feels like I have a terrible sun burn all over. So weird. Curious if anyone can relate. This one makes me nervous 

@[Lu...] Hi Lucas! I copied the below out of my profile and wanted to share it with you to give you peace of mind that you are dealing with some classic withdrawal symptoms...I've been tracking my symptoms since day one of withdrawal. I read what these symptoms are called in our group, so I added the name of what these symptoms are at the end of my journal entries...

Itching – all over my body – I don’t know what else to call it but “spot itching”.  My head, arms, trunk legs, feet (top & bottom of feet). Paresthasia

Burning spots all over my body – similar to the itching, but it feels like someone is holding a match stick to my skin all over my body. Paresthasia

Clothing - almost every day in the afternoon to early evening, clothing feels uncomfortable touching my skin, on the trunk of my body as well as my legs. If I move any part of my arms or trunk, the clothing makes my skin crawl both in back and in front. I literally have to either hold my clothing still or put a blanket around me and hold it tight to my body.

So, don't be nervous! You are definitely not alone!

• Sad 1

@[Lu...]hi I also am experiencing this in my chest/and arms mainly sometimes in the top off my thighs it starts towards the late afternoon and goes on into the night making it uncomfortable to sleep I do hope it subsides it makes me feel nauseous 

[Lu...]
5 hours ago, [[v...] said:

@[Lu...] Hi Lucas! I copied the below out of my profile and wanted to share it with you to give you peace of mind that you are dealing with some classic withdrawal symptoms...I've been tracking my symptoms since day one of withdrawal. I read what these symptoms are called in our group, so I added the name of what these symptoms are at the end of my journal entries...

Itching – all over my body – I don’t know what else to call it but “spot itching”.  My head, arms, trunk legs, feet (top & bottom of feet). Paresthasia

Burning spots all over my body – similar to the itching, but it feels like someone is holding a match stick to my skin all over my body. Paresthasia

Clothing - almost every day in the afternoon to early evening, clothing feels uncomfortable touching my skin, on the trunk of my body as well as my legs. If I move any part of my arms or trunk, the clothing makes my skin crawl both in back and in front. I literally have to either hold my clothing still or put a blanket around me and hold it tight to my body.

So, don't be nervous! You are definitely not alone!

Thank you for this detailed response and I’m so sorry you are experiencing this! Definitely helps put me at ease to know I’m not alone. It’s such a bizarre feeling! Feels like I laid in the hot sun with no sunscreen for 12 hours haha skin feels like 100 degrees just not to the touch, have you had it effect your whole body head to toe at the same time before??

makes me so nervous as I know this can be a pretty prominent symptom of MS. It’s quite scary how this benzo induced neurological dysfunction can mimic almost down to the word of many peoples experience with MS 

• Like 1

[Lu...]
5 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Hi again, Lucas! This is very common. Sometimes you feel like you’re sweating, but there’s no perspiration too?

Last summer I used ice packs around the clock. And Tylenol. And a fan.

Rest assured this too shall pass ❤️‍🩹 

Thank you as always Mary! 😊

praying this one passes soon it’s so uncomfortable. I don’t think I got a wink of sleep last night, was on fire all night! 

so strange this would start happening 5 months in

Yes it did early in the withdrawal it was painful to me as I have epilepsy it put me into a seizure and I was taking into hospital where they upped my AED meds but the burning sensation seems to come at the evening my skin seems to stay the same temperature but sometimes does feel warm

[vo...]
1 hour ago, [[L...] said:

Thank you for this detailed response and I’m so sorry you are experiencing this! Definitely helps put me at ease to know I’m not alone. It’s such a bizarre feeling! Feels like I laid in the hot sun with no sunscreen for 12 hours haha skin feels like 100 degrees just not to the touch, have you had it effect your whole body head to toe at the same time before??

makes me so nervous as I know this can be a pretty prominent symptom of MS. It’s quite scary how this benzo induced neurological dysfunction can mimic almost down to the word of many peoples experience with MS 

Yes, I absolutely agree with what you said! And yes, head to toe. Sometimes in certain parts of my body and sometimes my entire body. These as well as the other symptoms only started within a couple of weeks after my last dose of xanax on 7/30/24, so I knew it had to be withdrawal. First was the akathisia. I got that possible diagnosis pretty quickly after explaining my symptoms. Then came the vibrations - only vibrations.

I searched like crazy online to find out what was going on. I went to my PCP, neurologist, allergist and a psychiatrist. Not one of them was able to tell me what the vibrations running through my body were and there was no other word that described it better than vibrations. A therapist mentioned protracted w/d. I have no idea how she knew about it. Went home and researched it and BINGO! There they were, listed in the Ashton Manual - confirmation that I was dealing with protracted withdrawal or BIND from benzos.

We are most definitely our best advocates, more so maybe than any doctor might be. Then the other symptoms started to happen which you saw in my profile. I have some other ones that I didn't include. I intentionally didn't read the symptoms of BIND because I tend to be a hypochondriac so I know not to read about symptoms until I get them. Telling you all this so you too, can track your symptoms and then search for them in this group - you're probably going to find it here or in the Ashton Manual. I highly recommend tracking symptoms so you can see your progress, or symptoms subsiding, which means progress! Even if you don't see them, ask, because I'm sure you may find maybe a few people that have the same symptoms. You are right, and I didn't realize it until you mentioned it - certain toxins common to MS can mimic withdrawal symptoms.