Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy

[in...]
7 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

The only thing I can think of is wearing a mouthguard.

From ChatGPT

Here’s how a mouthguard can help:

1. Protecting Teeth: A mouthguard creates a barrier between your upper and lower teeth, preventing them from grinding against each other. This protection can reduce the damage to your teeth caused by bruxism.

2. Reducing Muscle Tension: Wearing a mouthguard during the day may help to relax the jaw muscles and reduce the intensity of clenching and grinding. By providing a cushioning effect, it can alleviate some of the strain on the jaw muscles.

3. Increasing Awareness: The physical presence of a mouthguard can make you more aware of your clenching and grinding habits during the day. This increased awareness can sometimes help you consciously control or reduce the habit.

The mouthguard is for nighttime.

[in...]
3 hours ago, [[i...] said:

So I keep pressing teeth during daytime from all the stress because of WD. Any suggestions on how to quit doing it? It just happens automatically since I'm so used to it. So I keep telling myself that I don't want to do it anymore. Still it just happens.

Somebody said something about switching from pressing to doing something else. I just don't know what to do instead. Anyone?

Anyone else? ☝️💯🙏

[Al...]
1 minute ago, [[i...] said:

The mouthguard is for nighttime.

The information I posted is about the benefits of wearing it during the day. You probably don't want to be wearing it all the time during the day, but just wearing it for a while might make a difference.

[in...]
2 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

The information I posted is about the benefits of wearing it during the day. You probably don't want to be wearing it all the time during the day, but just wearing it for a while might make a difference.

Thank you. I've tried it before, and it creates a VERY unnatural feeling since it's so big. I can't talk/swallow or anything. It creates stress for me.

[Al...]
8 minutes ago, [[i...] said:

Thank you. I've tried it before, and it creates a VERY unnatural feeling since it's so big. I can't talk/swallow or anything. It creates stress for me.

You could try some jaw exercises to release muscle tension.

Just google "jaw exercises for bruxism".

• Like 1

[Al...]

You could also increase your magnesium intake to relax your muscles.

• Love 1

[in...]
1 hour ago, [[A...] said:

Thanks for all your help! It's much appreciated!! 🙏

• Like 1

[in...]
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, [[A...] said:

I wonder what the right amount would be though. Because I do eat oatmeal and bananas every day.

Edited by [in...]

[in...]
Posted (edited)

Ignore this post. I just realized I've posted something similar earlier. "This tension headache is really kicking my a*s... Any tips besides a mouthguard?"

Edited by [in...]

[in...]

Does your symptoms get worse when hungry? My anxiety goes through the roof when It's close to a meal. Most of the time I feel better after eating. Exhausted, but still.

[in...]

How does nicotine affect you when going through WD? Did you quit, cut back or start using more?

[in...]
1 hour ago, [[i...] said:

How does nicotine affect you when going through WD? Did you quit, cut back or start using more?

Anyone? ☝️

[WU...]
2 hours ago, [[i...] said:

How does nicotine affect you when going through WD?

Doesn't make any difference to me, but then I don't smoke much anyway

[in...]
4 hours ago, [[i...] said:

Anyone else? ☝️

[in...]

I just got home after swimming! Exercising is the best decision I have made since quitting benzos. Give it a go! It's totally worth it!

• Love 2

[vo...]
12 minutes ago, [[i...] said:

I just got home after swimming! Exercising is the best decision I have made since quitting benzos. Give it a go! It's totally worth it!

I'm happy to hear you're still at it! I'm going again this morning too! Sorry I'm not able to respond about the clenching. I've always done it and just chalk it up to anxiety.

• Like 1

[in...]
12 minutes ago, [[v...] said:

I'm happy to hear you're still at it! I'm going again this morning too! Sorry I'm not able to respond about the clenching. I've always done it and just chalk it up to anxiety.

Did it start while you were taking benzos or earlier?

[vo...]
1 minute ago, [[i...] said:

Did it start while you were taking benzos or earlier?

While I was taking benzos, but I was on benzos since I was 17 years old, so the majority of my life. I've always grinded and clenched my teeth. I don't think I'm doing it as much these days (13 mos. into w/d). 

• Love 1

[in...]
1 hour ago, [[v...] said:

It's good to keep going! Did you go already? For how long have you been exercising since quitting?

[vo...]
3 hours ago, [[i...] said:

It's good to keep going! Did you go already? For how long have you been exercising since quitting?

@[in...]I just got home. It's 10:30 EST. I quit last July and started exercising this April. I almost didn't go this morning but I didn't want this withdrawal crap to win, so I went and I'm glad I did. Symptoms went away in the pool with the distraction. Now I have to get ready to go to the dentist. It's so much better when I'm busy. When are you going swimming again? Did you say (if you did, I forgot) if you were doing any other type of exercise?

• Love 1

[in...]
9 minutes ago, [[v...] said:

@[in...]I just got home. It's 10:30 EST. I quit last July and started exercising this April. I almost didn't go this morning but I didn't want this withdrawal crap to win, so I went and I'm glad I did. Symptoms went away in the pool with the distraction. Now I have to get ready to go to the dentist. It's so much better when I'm busy. When are you going swimming again? Did you say (if you did, I forgot) if you were doing any other type of exercise?

I used to do it all. Floorball, basketball, inline skating. I'm thinking about getting my membership at the gym renewed.

Yeah I'm the same way. It's really tough before I actually get in the pool, but once I'm in the water the cortisol and stress goes away. It feels so much better when I'm done! How about you? Anything other than swimming?

• Like 1

[vo...]
4 hours ago, [[i...] said:

I used to do it all. Floorball, basketball, inline skating. I'm thinking about getting my membership at the gym renewed.

Yeah I'm the same way. It's really tough before I actually get in the pool, but once I'm in the water the cortisol and stress goes away. It feels so much better when I'm done! How about you? Anything other than swimming?

@[in...] I'm feeling better and better. Thanks for asking. Mostly things I'm doing at the gym like weights and cardio. They have some other classes that I'm interested in, but just haven't done it yet. Spending time with my granddaughters is my very favorite thing to do. I go out to eat with friends frequently but because I'm very careful about what I eat, I'm trying not to do it too much. I don't really see a lot of healthy things on menus and I'm very tempted to eat things I used to eat. My membership is at the Y is the best thing I've ever done in my life for myself and it's a really nice YMCA. I hope you do join! I have to look up cortisol. I guess I've never really paid attention to it before.

• Love 1

[vo...]
52 minutes ago, [[v...] said:

@[in...] I'm feeling better and better. Thanks for asking. Mostly things I'm doing at the gym like weights and cardio. They have some other classes that I'm interested in, but just haven't done it yet. Spending time with my granddaughters is my very favorite thing to do. I go out to eat with friends frequently but because I'm very careful about what I eat, I'm trying not to do it too much. I don't really see a lot of healthy things on menus and I'm very tempted to eat things I used to eat. My membership is at the Y is the best thing I've ever done in my life for myself and it's a really nice YMCA. I hope you do join! I have to look up cortisol. I guess I've never really paid attention to it before.

@[in...] I meant to ask....do you have children/grandchildren? If so, how old, and also what keeps you busy with all this stuff we have going on? Of course I have no idea how old you are...lol. Also, I looked up cortisol - it made me remember that I had SAI at one point. It caused me to have little/no cortisol. I had to have injections to get rid of it. I should probably get retested for it.

[in...]
10 hours ago, [[v...] said:

@[in...] I meant to ask....do you have children/grandchildren? If so, how old, and also what keeps you busy with all this stuff we have going on? Of course I have no idea how old you are...lol. Also, I looked up cortisol - it made me remember that I had SAI at one point. It caused me to have little/no cortisol. I had to have injections to get rid of it. I should probably get retested for it.

I have no kids. I'm 35+. What keeps me busy? I guess exercising (swimming) is my thing right now. I'm thinking about the gym. I'm gonna wait though. Can't do it all at once. That's gonna end with me quitting it all lol.

• Like 2