Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Extremely High Cortisol, Low Testosterone

[mo...]

I just received the results of a recent blood test. My cortisol levels are almost double the normal reference range and my testosterone levels are almost non-existent (I’m a 35yo woman).  I’m still waiting to hear from my doctor and (surprise, surprise) my anxiety brought me.

I originally got this test because I am losing significant amounts of hair, although this started before my taper after a traumatic physical/mental event in December. Can these blood results be consistent with benzo withdrawal or has anyone experienced the same?  

Edited by [mo...]

[Cr...]

I never got my cortisol tested when in withdrawal/wave, but I did get my thyroid and testosterone tested. 

My testosterone was extremely low for a male in his 20s, (170 total, range being 300 to 1100). This was during my worst wave where I had horrible cortisol rushes in the mornings. My testosterone did go back up on its own as I recovered later on. 

Not sure if the low T was a direct side effect of withdrawal. It could have been an indirect result from having so much cortisol (never got tested, but could tell).

Women do need a small amount of T to feel normal physically (and mentally). A lot of the symptoms of low T are fatigue, anxiety, depression and the likes.

As for the solution I cannot say. T treatment comes with risks, although I imagine they are greater for males since doses for women would be small. If this could correct itself naturally there may be no need for TRT. However, if treatment would be of benefit and make you feel better I'd hate for you to overlook it.

• Like 1

[Pi...]

Adrenal tumours perhaps.  Adrenal tumours are very rare.  You would have a few symptoms in your teens and 20’s but the more serious symptoms would appear in your 40’s.

[mo...]
45 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Adrenal tumours perhaps

Oof, that would be a worst case scenario. I was hoping high cortisol would be common during taper/withdrawal rather than being an external condition. Hard to even imagine dealing with that during this time.

[Bo...]

High cortisol is super common going thru bed/BIND.

rhis book is helpful as are many posts by Jennifer Swanktowski who has a YouTube channel that explains so much of this. 
it’s always good to stay on top of checking into stuff and doing bloodwork, but if nothing else is showing up, it’s likely BIND.

our lab values get skewed and mimic so many health conditions thru this,… drs shve tried to diagnose me with 25 different conditions bc of bloodwork stuff. I’ve read everything I can listened to videos etc on all of this and realized it’s the benzo/psych med bc things started yrending back to normal ranges as I got lower on the dose and now off K certain lab values have improved. 

Solearn all you can and you’ll find info thru the Ashton manual, maudsley deprescribing guidelines, search bar here, Facebook benzo groups have guides detailing lots out,  benzo info coalition goes into detail on stuff, benzo coaches have YouTube’s or websites that detail this stuff out, inner compass iniative…., cortisol is one of the big things in this that’s affected with benzos and I actually had the opposite happen, low very low out of range and it’s gotten better as I’ve been off as everyone said it would. Our bodies heal from this stuff especially if you didn’t have a certain issue prior to taking the benzo. But always good to do check ups and scans just to put your mind at ease.

https://www.amazon.com/Maudsley-Guidelines-prescribing-Prescribing/dp/111982298X

• Like 1