Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium Taper/Hold Question

[in...]

I have been steadily tapering from 6.0 mgs down to 4.06mgs  using near daily water titration over the last 168 days.  I’ve been averaging 0.34mgs per month reductions. My bad symptoms rotate from skin burning to muscle neuropathy pain.  I seem to be suffering more so I think I need to do a hold for a a few weeks at 4.0.  I know that the steady daily tapering can snowball.

I would love to hear fro others  long has it taken holding to feel improvement before restarting their tapers?

Thanks!

7/19/24

image.thumb.png.c7f93e10e857359c6b60b2c490e80782.png

[Pa...]

I don't have taper experience but I think you're smart to hold for now.  I hope you'll get some input from Valium users.

[in...]

Dear Pamster,

Thank you for responding!  I plan on holding 2-4 weeks at 4.0 and restarting my taper.  It will have taken me about 6 months to go from 6.0 Valium to 4.0mgs.  So I guess with a few holds it will take me another 14-16 months.  I hope a 2-4 week pause will be enough to feel more stable and less symptoms.

I would love to hear from anyone else who slowly tapered Valium and benefitted from short “holds” periodically! Also, if my taper rate appears slow enough!

Thanks for any ideas!

[Fa...]

Hi, @[in...].  Congrats on your taper and getting down to 4mg!  I think you have a good plan in place.  You can always re-evaluate after 2-4 weeks of holding. 

I strongly believe factoring in holds is beneficial to those who make small [near] daily reductions in dose with diazepam.  I usually pause for 7-14 days at .5mg intervals (or if I feel like I'm trending in the wrong direction) and 1-3 months at 2mg intervals (I swap a 2mg diazepam tablet for 2mg/mL liquid at these intervals).

I am currently at 6mg diazepam and have been holding for 1 month now.  It is beneficial for me, and I feel every time I hold, my worst symptom (insomnia/poor sleep quantity and quality) improves and I feel better.  I have young family, employees, etc.. that count on me so I cannot risk severely destabilizing (in which I have experience and hope to not experience again).

I let how I feel, and what my schedule looks like, determine when and how I taper.  For example, I have a couple trips upcoming before my son goes back to school next weekend, and also in early August, so I do not believe it is wise for me to drop a 2mg tablet, swap to 2mg/mL liquid, and actively reduce until mid-August when school starts back and I don't have quite as much on my plate.

I hope something from my experience/journey is beneficial to you and wish you the best!

• Like 1

[in...]

Hi @[Fa...],  Thank you for your words of encouragement!  I began my hold at 4.0mgs today and I plan to stay there for 2-4 weeks before resuming my taper.  I have been going pretty slowly over the last 5.5months averaging about 0.34mgs reduction per month and even slowing down to about 0.25mgs per month in the last few weeks.  I think I should have included a few short holds on a regular basis like you have.  I eagerly look forward to following your progress and wish you the very best!

Warmest Regards!🙏

• Like 1