Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

My doctor is cutting me off

[An...]

I just found out my doctor is cutting me off, he didn’t say it directly but he said I can’t keep prescribing you 10 mgs a day he wants me to cut back to 5mgs  I need you to take less I just got to 10 mgs and I was planning on doing a long hold and now I’m stuck and don’t know what to do? I physically am too sick to keep tapering at a fast rate 

Edited by [An...]

[vo...]

@[An...] It would be horrible if the doctor would do that to you. Did he say how long before they cut you down to 5mg? Do you think you could show the doctor a published taper method and they might be open to it?

[Ma...]

You need to bring them a copy of The Ashton Manual and your specific taper plan, so they will take you seriously.

Ask them politely to work with you in the taper plan and express your valid concerns about coming off too quickly.

Hopefully they will work with you. If not, find another provider immediately.

[pi...]

I am terribly sorry this is happening to you, just when you wanted to hold for a while and perhaps slow the taper down. I agree with @[Ma...], bring as much information and data to your doctor. Try to do it in a calm and thoughtful manner. Have you heard of this book?

https://www.amazon.com/Maudsley-Guidelines-prescribing-Prescribing/dp/111982298X - you can take this book to your doctor to educate them about withdrawal and tapering.

If this fails, I would seek a new doctor who would be willing to help you self direct your taper in a symptom based fashion.

[On...]

Sorry to hear this difficult situation for you. Don't be dismissive about a psychiatrist either, they can deal more with this, especially the psychosomatic stuff. I have to see one again, general doctors don't deal with this in UK anymore 😒

[Go...]
17 hours ago, [[A...] said:

I just found out my doctor is cutting me off, he didn’t say it directly but he said I can’t keep prescribing you 10 mgs a day he wants me to cut back to 5mgs  I need you to take less I just got to 10 mgs and I was planning on doing a long hold and now I’m stuck and don’t know what to do? I physically am too sick to keep tapering at a fast rate 

Here is a resource for potentially benzo-cooperative providers: https://www.benzoinfo.com/doctors/

you may be able to find someone on there who can replace your current doctor.