Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Just put on a taper

[Me...]

Feeling like an idiot for never knowing the risks of taking prescription medication has prescribed by the doctor would end in the worst benzo withdrawal the symptoms seem unbearable. I have contacted my medical team and was out on a taper for escitalopram (lexapro) and alaprazolm (Xanax) it’s looking like 4 weeks. I just wanted to know if anyone else did this taper what were your thoughts, tips and tricks for getting through this?? If you have recommendations I have open ears.  

@[Me...], hello to you and welcome to BenzoBuddies! You're so mush not alone in finding yourself in this situation due to doctors' prescriptions. At least, you have a medical team who are willing to help. 

Could you a bit clarify your situation for BB members to support you better?

How long have you been taking alprazolam? What dosage and frequency of use? What is a taper rate suggested by your m. team? 

As far as i know, it's a bad idea to taper off of benzo and antidepressant at the same time. It's usually recommended to finish with benzo first since it's harder, besides, antidepressants might help you with covering benzo wd symptoms.

Good luck to you!

[pi...]

Hello @[Me...],

As @[...] mentioned, it would be best if you would provide more information so we can give you the best information based on your circumstances. That being said, a 4 week taper is just too aggressive. Additionally, I also agree that it’s best to taper just one drug at a time. 

I do understand how you feel, I also berated myself for taking a drug with so many issues like dependency and withdrawal. However, it made me more proactive in terms of my future heath. 

We look forward to hearing more from you.

• Like 1

[Me...]

I have been on 1mg of Xanax daily and 20mg of lexapro for 2-3 years daily. And intermittently taking other anti depressants before getting switched to lexapro. I was also put on gabapentin for nerve damage due to a severe burn that’s unrelated. The doctors have simultaneously put me on a 21 day (Xanax)and 24 day (lexapro) taper when I have been in withdrawal for about 2-3 weeks. I have been on Xanax for about 10 years taking it has prescribed. 

[pi...]
23 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

I have been on 1mg of Xanax daily and 20mg of lexapro for 2-3 years daily. And intermittently taking other anti depressants before getting switched to lexapro. I was also put on gabapentin for nerve damage due to a severe burn that’s unrelated. The doctors have simultaneously put me on a 21 day (Xanax)and 24 day (lexapro) taper when I have been in withdrawal for about 2-3 weeks. I have been on Xanax for about 10 years taking it has prescribed. 

Thanks for the information @[Me...]. I continue to say that the taper your provider has suggested is too fast. Additionally, tapering two meds at once is not a good plan. I would suggest you take the Ashton manual to your doctor. I did that and I found a doctor willing to follow the guidelines. 

https://www.benzoinfo.com/ashtonmanual/

Here is some additional information.

https://www.benzoinfo.com/benzodiazepine-tapering-strategies/

Some people can withdraw with few issues. Since you state you are already feeling withdrawal, likely due to tolerance to the dose, I think it is important to make this process as easy as possible on your sensitive nervous system. A slow taper can help minimize withdrawal symptoms and also allow the body to adjust to the dose reductions. 

• Like 1

[7b...]
2 hours ago, [[M...] said:

The doctors have simultaneously put me on a 21 day (Xanax)and 24 day (lexapro) taper when I have been in withdrawal for about 2-3 weeks. I have been on Xanax for about 10 years taking it has prescribed. 

Hi, Those tapers are way too agressive and you might suffer severe withdrawal symptoms and if you successfully come off the medications in less than a month you most likely will have severe symptoms for many months if not years so, what's the point?

The doses you're taking need would probably need a year slow taper more or less for each drug and i strongly agree with @[...] you shold taper first only the benzo as the AD can help you cope the WD and then go for the AD.

This is a clear case of uneducated providers that we most have suffered, they always think you can come off the drug in less than a month and that lead us to a very sick condition and end up here figuring out a propper way to taper.

Have a read to the Ashton manual and trust the buddies are here to help ypu in this process.

[Ma...]
18 hours ago, [[D...] said:

The doctors have simultaneously put me on a 21 day (Xanax)and 24 day (lexapro) taper when I have been in withdrawal for about 2-3 weeks. I have been on Xanax for about 10 years taking it has prescribed.

This makes me so angry.  21 days to taper 10 years of continuous Xanax use is malpractice.  While some people can get off these drugs faster, this is way too fast for anyone.  I hope you can find a provider willing to give you more time and go at your own pace.  That is vitally important.  Ideally, you would switch over to Diazepam or Clonazepam too because Xanax has such a short half life and is difficult to taper from.  

• Love 1