Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Could my symtoms be akathisia?

[Je...]

I have a chronic feeling of too much adrenaline in my body . At least twice a day , I have to burn it off with cardio exercise . Once when I wake up and once before bed . Or I cannot relax and feel horrible , like in fight or flight mode untill I physically release the adrenaline with exercise . No meditation or relaxation helps . I’ve tried . The only thing that works is to physically jog/ swim / cycle to burn it off then I feel pretty good after for a few hours . This is chronic for years now and I deal with it everyday  . I don’t really understand akathisia but I’m curious if anyone with it , feels the same as this or similar symptoms or thinks it is or isn’t akathisia . Please let me know ! Been on Clonazepam 15 years tapered down form 2 mg to less then .25 mg currently over the last couple years 

• Like 1

[jo...]

It just sounds like typical withdrawl anxiety. It should improve a lot after your off completely I think, mabey even before. If you had full blown AKA I doubt you'd be abel to ride a bike or swim. You would doubtful be able to leave the house unless it was to walk around it in circles. 

Edited by [jo...]

[PE...]

No it doesn't ☺️☺️

If you want to see how real akathisia is there are good/horrible vids on YouTube. Look for "Christina akathisia "

Take care.

[PE...]

Akathisia is kind of a movement disorder. You just have to keep moving/walking. A abnormal restlessness..unable to do anything else then walk. I wasn't online for months having it

• Like 1

[Je...]
1 hour ago, [[j...] said:

It just sounds like typical withdrawl anxiety. It should improve a lot after your off completely I think, mabey even before. If you had full blown AKA I doubt you'd be abel to ride a bike or swim. You would doubtful be able to leave the house unless it was to walk around it in circles. 

Thanks 

[Je...]
44 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

No it doesn't ☺️☺️

If you want to see how real akathisia is there are good/horrible vids on YouTube. Look for "Christina akathisia "

Take care.

Thanks 

• Like 1

[Ma...]

It’s a cortisol surge, IMO-especially in the mornings. I get them too.

Akateshia is a movement disorder and usually involves non-stop pacing.

Edited by [Ma...]

[Je...]
Just now, [[M...] said:

It’s a cortisol surge, IMO. I get them too.

Anything that you have found to help it ? Or is it just something we gotta deal with 

[Ma...]

If you can take supplements Ashwaganda, Magnesium may help but many have a difficult time with both of those.

Just try to manage them like you do every symptom. I find-when it’s not 100 degrees outside-that a daily routine of as many miles you can alleviates them almost completely.

Also, as you know, no sugar or caffeine as they make the surges worse.

[On...]

My fit bit was recording 24000 steps!!, never leaving flat. Calmed down a bit now. My fit bit however has broken the other day 😆 

[Co...]

I had this too!!! Inner restlessness and then they gave me the benzo omg.

[PE...]
19 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

I had this too!!! Inner restlessness and then they gave me the benzo omg.

You using a awesome painting as your profile pic. Edward Munk "skriet"=the scream. Norwegian I think.

• Like 1

[PE...]
21 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

I had this too!!! Inner restlessness and then they gave me the 

Yes benzo is the only thing that works for akathisia. And gives it when stopping 😆😐😊

[Co...]

Haha but now I do not pace anymore. I cannot even walk or talk anymore for over two years omg. And they gave me the benzo for tinnitus not for aka. And I had no negative feelings. I was too positive and highly suggestible and manic. Dumb therapists. And I was just compulsive like obsessively taking hearing tests and too hard on myself. Like I had a concussion but I had not falling on my head. But it was all the cortisone. And my doctor kept giving me weird meds and telling me to drink alcohol. And every therapist I went to told me to take sleeping meds. Omg. But I went to therapy because I slept bad not to get medications. 

Thank you! Yes, you can visit the Scream in Oslo. I love art. And well it represents the agony of akathesia and other horrible brain symptoms well. So that is why I chose it. I feel like him a lot of the time. Aaaaaargh

• Like 1

[PE...]
9 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Haha but now I do not pace anymore. I cannot even walk or talk anymore for over two years omg. And they gave me the benzo for tinnitus not for aka. And I had no negative feelings. I was too positive and highly suggestible and manic. Dumb therapists. And I was just compulsive like obsessively taking hearing tests and too hard on myself. Like I had a concussion but I had not falling on my head. But it was all the cortisone. And my doctor kept giving me weird meds and telling me to drink alcohol. And every therapist I went to told me to take sleeping meds. Omg. But I went to therapy because I slept bad not to get medications. 

Thank you! Yes, you can visit the Scream in Oslo. I love art. And well it represents the agony of akathesia and other horrible brain symptoms well. So that is why I chose it. I feel like him a lot of the time. Aaaaaargh

Oh he had akathisia!!?, love art too..

[Co...]

No I do not think so but he might as well. I screamed like that lol.

• Haha 1

[in...]
17 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Akathisia is kind of a movement disorder. You just have to keep moving/walking. A abnormal restlessness..unable to do anything else then walk. I wasn't online for months having it

Was that right after you got off the benzos?

[PE...]
1 minute ago, [[i...] said:

Was that right after you got off the benzos?

I had it when i tried to taper. And a while after i stopped. I can't really say for sure how long i didn't watch tv or was online. I was occupied pacing and vomiting 🤢🤮🤮😝

• Wow 1

[PE...]

This is how it can look. Don't watch if you are sensitive it's very graphic!!

This poor woman had akathisia for two years then ended her life 😮‍💨.

[in...]
5 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I had it when i tried to taper. And a while after i stopped. I can't really say for sure how long i didn't watch tv or was online. I was occupied pacing and vomiting 🤢🤮🤮😝

The thing is I keep feeling this intense restlessness inside of me. I just can't relax. It goes on and on for hours. Sometimes I fall asleep at night simply from being 100% exhausted. It's like living a nightmare!

[PE...]
Just now, [[i...] said:

The thing is I keep feeling this intense restlessness inside of me. I just can't relax. It goes on and on for hours. Sometimes I fall asleep at night simply from being 100% exhausted. It's like living a nightmare!

I know exactly how it is. I didn't watch tv or was online for months. But it got better!! I almost feel it's a luxury now being able to sit down and watch a movie 😆😊

It's your brain that needs to learn how to relax without benzos..it's really tough but completely like it should be.

• Like 1

[in...]
Just now, [[P...] said:

I know exactly how it is. I didn't watch tv or was online for months. But it got better!! I almost feel it's a luxury now being able to sit down and watch a movie 😆😊

It's your brain that needs to learn how to relax without benzos..it's really tough but completely like it should be.

It feels so good to know that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Sometimes it just feels like I'm loosing my mind.

• Like 1

[PE...]
Just now, [[i...] said:

It feels so good to know that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Sometimes it just feels like I'm loosing my mind.

Yeah it feels like that..but you won't. 

It's another form of boot camp!! 

Up, eat, swim, walk, sleep and repeat. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1