Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Exercising during withdrawal!

[in...]

How do you all feel about exercising? As many of you know I'm about 6-7 weeks out. I'm going swimming 3-4 times/week. It makes me feel great! I'm even thinking about starting to go more often in the future. Am I doing things the right way? Personally I don't see the problem since I feel better afterwards. Am I pushing myself too hard? Thanks!

• Like 5

[vo...]
Just now, [[i...] said:

How do you all feel about exercising? As many of you know I'm about 6-7 weeks out. I'm going swimming 3-4 times/week. It makes me feel great! I'm even thinking about starting to go more often in the future. Am I doing things the right way? Personally I don't see the problem since I feel better afterwards. Am I pushing myself too hard? Thanks!

@[in...] I will say that I agree with you, but it all depends on how we feel. If you asked this same question 8 mos. ago, I would have felt differently. My symptoms were much more frequent and very strong. It was all I could do to cope with them everyday so I couldn't exercise like I'm doing now. Fast forward to now, 13 mos. into withdrawal and I am doing the same thing as you. Treadmill, bike, weights, aqua zumba and it all feels great. The more I do it, the better I feel. Exercise releases endorphins which interact with the receptors in our brains and can help reduce anxiety.

If you can do it and it feels good, do it! If you want to do it more and your body can handle it, do that. It all depends on how we feel. Go for it!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[in...]
36 minutes ago, [[v...] said:

@[in...] I will say that I agree with you, but it all depends on how we feel. If you asked this same question 8 mos. ago, I would have felt differently. My symptoms were much more frequent and very strong. It was all I could do to cope with them everyday so I couldn't exercise like I'm doing now. Fast forward to now, 13 mos. into withdrawal and I am doing the same thing as you. Treadmill, bike, weights, aqua zumba and it all feels great. The more I do it, the better I feel. Exercise releases endorphins which interact with the receptors in our brains and can help reduce anxiety.

If you can do it and it feels good, do it! If you want to do it more and your body can handle it, do that. It all depends on how we feel. Go for it!

Thanks 🙏 Yeah because I don't see the complication!

• Like 2

[vo...]
3 minutes ago, [[i...] said:

Thanks 🙏 Yeah because I don't see the complication!

I'd click a like "reaction", however they aren't working right now. I let Colin know. I hit save too soon.....have you changed your eating habits?

Edited by [vo...]

[in...]
54 minutes ago, [[v...] said:

I'd click a like "reaction", however they aren't working right now. I let Colin know. I hit save too soon.....have you changed your eating habits?

Why would I change my eating habits?

[vo...]
22 minutes ago, [[i...] said:

Oh, maybe you didn't need to. I went from eating whatever I wanted to eating clean. I was just curious.

• Like 1

[or...]
7 hours ago, [[i...] said:

I can't recommend it more, but I do know that people can go too hard at it, and not have proper nutrition to fuel the body, enough electrolytes/water (added if necessary).  I think the biggest thing for me is because I do both weight training, and weight-resistance with bands. 

I had to force myself "not" to do 2 days in a row, or more, and started doing either upper or lower body one day, and other the next.  I now am set into an every other day pattern that I feel my muscles are getting time to repair, sometimes I take 2 days off.

I think, again, the best way with exercise is exactly how I believe about my taper, "listen to your body"!  It speaks very clearly imo, and I'm doing great considering a few wd sxs that mainly show themselves as tremor, and a rather explosive temper.  I am better thank goodness, live alone because I do best when I can isolate when I'm in a nasty mood, with bouts of crying or bitching at myself about the world.  I have a universal resentment some days, hate everyone and I know it's not me, or like the real me at all.  It's better like I said though, much better, oregonlady ~ Denise

PS I just think it's trial and error for each individual.  I suggest easy does it, and avoid crashing, over-use of muscles etc.

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 4

[or...]
5 hours ago, [[i...] said:

Because what we fuel our bodies with matters, including "extra" fixes like other pills, otc or scripts, alcohol, sugars, starches, anything inflammatory to our bodies.

• Like 1

I've kept exercising for the whole time, including my taper and the acute phase. I run in the morning. Can't say i was pushing myself. It's just a habit. I did it simply to pass torturous time since there seemed to be no difference whether i ran or not. But i noticed that the days i skipped running, i felt even worse to the evening. It's absolutely ok now as lots of other things.

I guess the same as everything else it's rather individual and depends on our body but, at least, some movements are always necessary. 

@[in...], it's just wonderful you go swimming and it gives you pleasure. Keep swimming!:classic_smile:

• Like 5

[An...]

Swimming is so good, I can swim would swim more if I had the confidence too benzos took that away. But other excersizes ramp up my symptoms