Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I'm 59. Is it OK to take 1mg of lorazepam for the rest of my life?

I'm 59, have been taking 1 mg. ativan (lorazepam) for 5 years. Tried tapering three times, but failed, miserably. Is it OK to take 1mg for the rest of my life? With 1 mg lorazepam, daily before bed  my life was pretty OK, except headaches the day after I reduced to .5 gm., .I would then take pain killers, and back to 1 mg lorazepam. I've also noticed some cognitive decline, which I am aware that it's caused by ativan, and my age.  

Perhaps my tapering strategies were ineffective. Tried to go from 1 mg to .5 mg. Lasted only 10 days, then severe headache. Perhaps I should taper by transfering gradually to valium. Will this strategy work: change from 1 mg. lorazepam to .5 mg, plus 5 mg of valium, for 4 weeks; then .5 mg lorazepam plus 2 mg. valium for 4 weeks; then what next? Appreciate any advise. Thanks

[pi...]

Hello @[...],

I noticed you joined the forum years ago, welcome back.

I think you have to assess your goals. Do you want to be benzo free? There is a lot of data about the long term effects of benzo use, such as cognitive decline and memory issues. Additionally, as we age, there could be balance problems.

However, you seem to be doing ok on the drug. What is the main reason you are taking it? No one should be forced off a drug that is doing it’s job. 

I am not surprised that you felt badly after cutting 50%, that is huge. When I tried that myself, it was pretty horrible. We generally suggest reducing no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days. The idea is to let the body have time to adjust to the dose reductions.

Many people can taper directly from lorazepam. I did cross to Valium and it worked for me. 

There are benefits to being benzo fee. I also was concerned about my cognition since I was in my 60’s when I tapered. 

This is doable, you just need a solid sensible taper plan. There are also methods to do small daily reductions. Additionally, some people sue a jewelers scale to make accurate cuts.m

Ler us know how we can help, we’re here for you.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. The reason I'm still on the pill is because I haven't be a able to stop it, hence, cannot sleep, and headaches the day after I reduced the pill.

I had been using a jewelers scale to taper. Forgot why it wasn't successful. I will give it a try again, tapering directly from lorazepam, 10% reduction every 10-14 days, as you suggested.

Curious to know your tapering plan, crossing to valium. Could you please share with me. Thanks alot.

I am now reducing 5% every 10 days. According to the calculation, it'll take me 360 days to reduce doze to 0.16 mg.! I don't know how I will be able to cut the pill so precisely  after that.