Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Activation syndrome

[Ma...]
48 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

The doctors also know I abused benzos, because I made the mistake of being honest with them, although I prefer the term took without prescription :heybabe:.

That just makes them even less sympathetic and willing to help, or believe you. I have these nightmare visions of me dying and just being written off as a drug addict. Which I'm not.

And even if I was I should still deserve to be helped by the medical system which I have paid plenty of tax towards. The truth is though, abused, prescribed, there isn't that much help for any of us.

Just wanted to say again, just know you’re not alone. (I imagine you’re in the UK?), I am in Australia suffering a similar chemical predicament. Maybe one day there will be special clinics that deal with these exact problems just for us. 

• Like 1

[jo...]
1 minute ago, [[M...] said:

Just wanted to say again, just know you’re not alone. (I imagine you’re in the UK?), I am in Australia suffering a similar chemical predicament. Maybe one day there will be special clinics that deal with these exact problems just for us. 

Yeah I'm from UK. No clinics in sight.

[b2...]
7 hours ago, [[j...] said:

I'm not sure to be honest. I dont know if I can handle another cut at the moment. Are you on mirt?

@[jo...] nop, i am only on diazepam, doctors offered it to me and also, gabapentin, pregabalin, ssris and some other ADs with i refused politely.

I want drugs off my body not more to be worried about cause they are all big trouble more sooner than later.

Thats why i asked if it is worth it.

[jo...]
1 minute ago, [[D...] said:

@[jo...] nop, i am only on diazepam, doctors offered it to me and also, gabapentin, pregabalin, ssris and some other ADs with i refused politely.

I want drugs off my body not more to be worried about cause they are all big trouble more sooner than later.

Thats why i asked if it is worth it.

It helps some people but I'm starting to wonder if I'm one of them. It depends on peoples situation whether or not it's worth a try. Depression can be serious.

[b2...]
18 hours ago, [[M...] said:

I was on it, on and off for years - probably more than 15 years on and off. I had stabilised the best ever in my life in 2022 and 2023 on 20mg. I worked full time for almost two years harder and better than I ever have in my life. But then there was a family tragedy last year and for some reason I went off my Prozac (I just forgot to take it). Thought I’d use the opportunity to have a break from it cause it had been years. After about 3-5 months the panic attacks started (really severe chemical feeling ones). So then I went back on 20mg Prozac about 2.5 months ago and 7 days into the dose (whilst feeling really good) - the activation syndrome started - it was so bad. Like psych ward bad. I feel ya mate.

@[jo...] @[Ma...] the reason i am here and i got benzo dependancy is cause i was taking citalopram, an ssri for about 20 years, i did a fast taper and stayed off it for a year but my life turned too stressfull and reinstated it and after i few months i got something called serotonin syndrome, much worse than activation syndrome. It hit me so hard i had to cold turkey it and went through WD from mild to severe after 3 months and to extreme after 6 months off it, and thats what made me take benzos daily for 3 months.

Psych drugs are dangerous, my brain was compromised after the ssri and benzos got me weak and already injured so if you guys can avoid it, dont add more drugs to your already sensitized nervous system.

It is hard to cope with symptoms and waves but i wouldnt want another year of taper when i get rid of benzos.

Edited by Guest
typos

[Bo...]

Ya the adrenaline surges and then the heartbeat pounding in ears, head outside body etc (people have various versions) can be a mirt and also a benzo thing. 
I hope things calm some for you soon.

if you taper down liquid is helpful instead of shaving and weighing but that works too for mirt (although the mirt fb group is against it). They have detailed guides on their group how to make your own suspension with water and maple syrup. 
I used a pharmacy compound I used for my Klonopin taper. 
Abe last with liquid I can do .01mg reductions every day or ever few days depending how I am doing. I am so sensitized from various meds I was run thru so the ability to make very tiny reductions wihh the syringes helps 

hoping your body starts to level out soon and I think you can try to see maybe how a 10% reduction goes next drop and if that is fine you might be able to work off this at a decent speed. But just know it can have a bit of a lag time when the cuts hit for mirt so just don’t get too ahead of yourself….. but it symptoms are not there at all as you drop 10% that’s a good sign. Some people don’t have issues coming down off at all. 

[Bo...]

Ya the adrenaline surges and then the heartbeat pounding in ears, head outside body etc (people have various versions) can be a mirt and also a benzo thing. 

if you taper down liquid is helpful instead of shaving and weighing but that works too for mirt (although the mirt fb group is against it). They have detailed guides on their group how to make your own suspension with water and maple syrup. 
Abe last with liquid I can do .01mg reductions every day or ever few days depending how I am doing. I am so sensitized from various meds I was run thru so the ability to make very tiny reductions wihh the syringes helps 

hoping your body starts to level out soon and I think you can try to see maybe how a 10% reduction goes next drop and if that is fine you might be able to work off this at a decent speed. But just know it can have a bit of a lag time when the cuts hit for mirt so just don’t get too ahead of yourself….. but it symptoms are not there at all as you drop 10% that’s a good sign. Some people don’t have issues coming down off at all. 

• Like 1

[jo...]
4 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Thanks for the advice @[Bo...] It;s much appreciated. I have some decisions to make:unsure:

[jo...]

Was on 7.5mg for 4 days. Jumped up to 15mg for 2 weeks. back down to 7.5 for 8 days. What kind of cut should I make next? Been suffering today. Days seem to be alternating now. Average , good, bad.

[Cr...]
4 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Was on 7.5mg for 4 days. Jumped up to 15mg for 2 weeks. back down to 7.5 for 8 days. What kind of cut should I make next? Been suffering today. Days seem to be alternating now. Average , good, bad.

Depends on your goal and what you can tolerate. If getting off asap is your goal then maybe try halving it again to 3.75 for another week and then jump. 

• Like 1

[jo...]
Just now, [[C...] said:

Depends on your goal and what you can tolerate. If getting off asap is your goal then maybe try halving it again to 3.75 for another week and then jump. 

I actually cant go slower than that anyway as I dont have scales etc. I'm just worried I'm not going to stabalise so I should maybe get going.

[Cr...]
3 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

I actually cant go slower than that anyway as I dont have scales etc. I'm just worried I'm not going to stabalise so I should maybe get going.

Since you are still going through recovery from benzo use, it can be hard to determine when stabilization from mirt stops and benzo withdrawal begins. 

Since you haven't been on mirt that long and a rapid taper is the goal (to prevent further physical dependence), it would probably be best to get the next cut going. 

Keep in mind that although just like your first cut this would be another 50% cut, you are actually reducing the total amount of medication by half as much as your previous cut (3.75 vs 7.5 last time).

[jo...]
9 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Since you are still going through recovery from benzo use, it can be hard to determine when stabilization from mirt stops and benzo withdrawal begins. 

Since you haven't been on mirt that long and a rapid taper is the goal (to prevent further physical dependence), it would probably be best to get the next cut going. 

Keep in mind that although just like your first cut this would be another 50% cut, you are actually reducing the total amount of medication by half as much as your previous cut (3.75 vs 7.5 last time).

It's the agitation. I never got that from benzos. It all feels like mirt at the moment. Yesterday wasn't too bad though it's weird.

[Cr...]
7 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

It's the agitation. I never got that from benzos. It all feels like mirt at the moment. Yesterday wasn't too bad though it's weird.

Then I believe the answer is clear that you probably need to come off this med as soon as you can. Luckily that agitation may have only been an issue at the 15mg + range. So your current dose may be less likely to cause agitation, but it is also less likely to provide any benefits beyond possibly more sleep and an increased appetite.

I think I predicted it would probably take about a week to level out from the effects of being on 15 mg for 2 weeks. You may still improve, or this may be as good as things get while still on the medication.

[jo...]
20 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Then I believe the answer is clear that you probably need to come off this med as soon as you can. Luckily that agitation may have only been an issue at the 15mg + range. So your current dose may be less likely to cause agitation, but it is also less likely to provide any benefits beyond possibly more sleep and an increased appetite.

I think I predicted it would probably take about a week to level out from the effects of being on 15 mg for 2 weeks. You may still improve, or this may be as good as things get while still on the medication.

Hi Crono. Do you think just stopping is best at this point?

[Pa...]
48 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

anyone have any advice on cutting pills? Have no scale.

Are you talking about cutting mirtazapine?

[Pa...]

I thought so, do you need someone familiar with the pills to share how they did it, or can you use the same techniques members use with benzo's? 

[jo...]
2 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I thought so, do you need someone familiar with the pills to share how they did it, or can you use the same techniques members use with benzo's? 

either is great.

[Pa...]

Are you thinking of getting a scale, I hear they're about $30.00 US on Amazon.  Is this measurement critical or can you eyeball it?  I've seen members file their pills into little piles. 

[jo...]
2 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Are you thinking of getting a scale, I hear they're about $30.00 US on Amazon.  Is this measurement critical or can you eyeball it?  I've seen members file their pills into little piles. 

Dont really have time to order a scale so other methods would be ideal(y)