Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

It's true about antibiotics

[Mu...]

I will be benzo free for 5 years this coming September. The past 2 years have been manageable, in spite of numerous waves. I recently developed a sinus infection and was prescribed a steroid shot and 5 days of Azrithromycin. On the 5th and final day I was hit with the worst wave ever which I'm still in. The muscle tightness especially in the lower abdomen returned ,with nausea and benzo belly swelling where my stomach is like a balloon. The absolute worst is the fatigue. I'm so weak it takes every ounce of energy to check the mail. I'm 68 and every jerk doctor assures me my withdrawal was over in 6 to 8 weeks.FAT CHANCE.

The old Buddies warned me about Cipro but I guess we should consider all antibiotics.

God bless music60 

[pi...]

Hello @[Mu...],

I am sorry to hear about your setback. Have you considered that the steroid might actually be the reason for this setback? While I tolerate steroids with just a few minor side effects, others have a more difficult time. Additionally, oral steroids are very hard on the stomach. I have had both oral steroids and injections. The oral steroid does affect my stomach and my energy levels. . When was the steroid finished? 

Some people have reported issues with azithromycin. We’re all different and react differently to drugs. I take this drug with no issues, I’m glad because I’m allergic to many others.

I hope you get some relief soon.

[Id...]

Anecdotally to me was Flagyl, others report that…

4. Antibiotics for some reason, sometimes seem to aggravate withdrawal symptoms.

However, one class of antibiotics, the quinolones, actually displace benzodiazepines from their binding sites on GABA-receptors. These can precipitate acute withdrawal in people taking or tapering from benzodiazepines. It may be necessary to take antibiotics during benzodiazepine withdrawal but if possible the quinolones should be avoided.

(There are at least six different quinolones - ask your doctor if in doubt).

C. H. Ashton, January 2007