Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Will I experience severe withdrawal after a week of taking a Xanax every day?

[hu...]

I have been taking Xanax for the last 8 days. I have not taken more than 1mg in a days time and the past couple days I have only taken .25mg(a quarter of a pill) but I feel like I’m experiencing withdrawal symptoms(I’ve been through Ativan withdrawal in the past) I had tingling in my hands last night and today I have a headache, muscle twitching and anxiety of course. Should I be concerned about seizures or death from the short duration of use? I take an SSRI and subutex on a daily basis as well. I have severe OCD hypochondria and I’m just trying to see if I should be concerned or if I’ll be fine in a couple days.

@[hu...], hi and welcome to BenzoBuddies! We're glad you've found us!)

How long ago did you have ativan withdrawal and how hard was it? Whatever, i think you shouldn't be too concerned about cessation of xanax. You nervous system could hardly have been affected much during a week. But the unpleasant issues you described can stay for some time. It's quite expectable. I'd taper xanax further for a few more days not longer. Hope others will share their thoughts to the point as well.

Good luck to you!)

[Be...]

@[...] on same line of questions. I am 70 and have taken Xanax 0.25 for 30 days for insomnia then 0.125 for 2 days and stopped yesterday. Today feeling badly depressed (am taking venlafaxin and Mirtazapine since 3 months) with no other symptoms. Do you think it is the initial depression not yet resolved or because of the Xanax withdrawal?

[Co...]

It could be either way. But better to quit and not look back! You are lucky if it is mostly just depression alone and it should resolve by itself in some time :)

Although speaking from experience I do not agree that a week of benzos hardly affects someone's nervous system. It ruined my life and I took 2 weeks only. But I am very unlucky and I was stupid and had a huge stroke. Most people get away when using only limited time. You seem to have no reason for concern here.

• Like 1

[Be...]

@[Co...]Thanks for your advice. I just have to not ask myself anymore questions but quit and move on. Hope and pray my depression will soon be over.

1 hour ago, [[B...] said:

@[...] on same line of questions. I am 70 and have taken Xanax 0.25 for 30 days for insomnia then 0.125 for 2 days and stopped yesterday. Today feeling badly depressed (am taking venlafaxin and Mirtazapine since 3 months) with no other symptoms. Do you think it is the initial depression not yet resolved or because of the Xanax withdrawal?

@[Be...], hi) I took mirtazapine too. In my case, it helped to get through the worst withdrawal induced times of mine.

As for your today's depression, i guess it's most probably caused by benzo withdrawal. I'd give it a few  days to lessen. My withdrawal symptoms, feeling low included, never stayed for more than a few days on end, although everyone's withdrawal is unique. Hope with all my heart you'll soon feel better!

@[hu...], it'd be understandable you feel worried even if you didn't have your previous hard experience. Benzo lies and can mess our brain for a while, be it symptoms or hypochondriacal fear,  but i'd try not to worry. Your Xanax use has been very short and your brain could have hardly developed any physical dependency yet. The symptoms you're experiencing most probably mean brain biochemistry changing while coming back to its benzo free level. Smth like that. And i'm sure you'll have no seizures. As far as i know, they might happen after much longer term of use.

I also had kind of ocd while in the acute phase of benzo wd and so can imagine how miserable it can make us on top of physical issues. Please, don't be concerned too much, just accept that you may feel unwell for a while but it will pass, i'm sure, quite soon in your case!

• Like 2

[Up...]

Absolutely nobody can guess if you will experience withdraws.   Your best bet is to stay off the internet, stay in your life and reality and deal with what happens.  The absolute worst thing you can do is read all the horror stories and wait for it to happen.  It may not nobody knows.   

• Like 1

[Co...]

Agreed. You know they are dangerous. Just quit and live your life and never look back! You can do this!

[Al...]

On 17/07/2024 at 11:41, [[h...] said:

I have been taking Xanax for the last 8 days. I have not taken more than 1mg in a days time and the past couple days I have only taken .25mg(a quarter of a pill) but I feel like I’m experiencing withdrawal symptoms(I’ve been through Ativan withdrawal in the past) I had tingling in my hands last night and today I have a headache, muscle twitching and anxiety of course. Should I be concerned about seizures or death from the short duration of use? I take an SSRI and subutex on a daily basis as well. I have severe OCD hypochondria and I’m just trying to see if I should be concerned or if I’ll be fine in a couple days.

IMO you don't need to worry about seizures after 8 days of use. You should be fine to stop and the sooner you stop the better.

Just out of interest, do you find the subutex helps with the OCD? I read a couple of papers where it has been used off-label for OCD with encouraging results.