Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Need advice for a complicated situation

[Lo...]

Hi, I've been taking clonazepam for a few years now. Recently, there was a shortage with the manufacturer Teva that I was taking. And the pharmacy used a different manufacturer and I had adverse reactions to it. So, I started taking the name brand Klonopin. Unfortunately, Klonopin didn't quite work out either. It either has some side effects or doesn't work at all.

I called Teva and they said clonazepam is estimated to be back in stock in November. That's a long wait when your medication is not working or causing side effects. Plus, my insurance has only agreed to cover the cost of Klonopin until August. So, I would need to request an extension.

I can't try another manufacturer because I'm not allowed to change pharmacies. So even if I found a pharmacy that has Teva, I wouldn't be allowed to get it. I understand that it's a controlled substance, but that seems counterintuitive to me.

I have considered switching to a different benzo, probably diazepam. I plan to start tapering soon and diazepam is a good choice for that. However, there can be problems when switching benzos. Especially if it's not done gradually and with the correct conversion ratio. For example, I thought 0.5 mg of clonazepam is approximately 10 mg of diazepam. But, my doctor says it's 5 mg.

So, what do you recommend? Thanks.

Hi, @[Lo...], and welcome to BenzoBuddies! So sorry for the situation you've found yourself in. I'm not very good at benzo switching, i always did it overnight because knew little of all the complications. However, i can provide you with a link to The Ashton Manual, a useful guidance in benzo tapering in general. https://www.benzoinfo.com/ashtonmanual/ There is also a chapter on substituting one benzo for another there.

I think it might be a good idea to try to switch to diazepam. Many people did it in order to taper off of benzo and succeeded. As far as i know, you're right 0.5 mg of clonazepam approximately equals to 10 mg of diazepam. 

Hope other members will step in and give their opinion too. Good luck to you!

• Like 1

[vo...]

@[Lo...] Hi and welcome. Type "brand switch" into the search bar. There is another thread on the exact issue with Teva that you are asking about. Hopefully you can get some answers in that thread :-) If you can't find it, let me know.

[Li...]

@[Lo...] If you have not already done so, you might try discussing your situation with the lead pharmacist at the pharmacy you’re required to use. Ask them if they would be willing to fill your prescription with just one generic manufacturer until the Teva clonazepam shortage has been resolved.  Based on posts I’ve read, it seems like Accord and Solco are two of the more commonly used clonazepam generics.   

PS Tip of the hat for your clever username … 

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.