Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Medical Detox other Questions

I’m struggling with my taper.  I would love some feedback

1.  Should I consider going to a facility for detox?  I found one that will keep me for a month and do the Ashton taper method.  My husband is so upset about me leaving for a month and what that will do to our family, he will likely never forgive me and tells me our daughter will be scared for life and I’ll ruin her summer.  

Doc perscribed Ativan - I had no idea what it would do to me here is my taper history: 

8 months .5 nightly + intermittent .5 daytime dose 

7/3 .5 

7/4 .5

7/5 .25

7/6 .25 

7/7  .125

7/8 .125 

7/9 missed 

7/10 .125 

7/11 .125 

7/12 .125

7/13.125

—— Cross over to Valium 

7/14 1.25 Valium 

7/15 2.5 Valium (doc said 1.25 was too low) 

2.  Why do my symptoms seem better before bed then are UNBEARABLE during the day 

3.  Is every cut THIS HORRIBLE? 

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated 🤍

[Go...]

@[...] can you take 1.25 twice a day instead of taking 2.5 once a day? When are you currently taking the 2.5?

[Al...]

1. Sorry to hear that your husband is not understanding. I think the general consensus on this site is that detox facilities should be avoided because they taper you too fast and often leave you on other meds like gabapentin and seroquel. However, your dose is already very low, so if you went for a month to concentrate on your taper in peace, then I guess it could work as long as they don't add any other meds.

2. A lot of people see their symptoms ease in the evening. One reason is that cortisol levels rise in the morning and fall in the evening.

3. Your cuts have been very large. Smaller cuts should be more tolerable.

10 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

@[...] can you take 1.25 twice a day instead of taking 2.5 once a day? When are you currently taking the 2.5?

@[Go...] i take the 2.5 before bed interestingly enough you would think my nights would be smooth but after 3 am it’s anxiety and heart racing that doesn’t end till 6pm the next day. My doctor said she would prescribe liquid if I wanted.  She told me we could discuss more tomorrow 

3 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

1. Sorry to hear that your husband is not understanding. I think the general consensus on this site is that detox facilities should be avoided because they taper you too fast and often leave you on other meds like gabapentin and seroquel. However, your dose is already very low, so if you went for a month to concentrate on your taper in peace, then I guess it could work as long as they don't add any other meds.

2. A lot of people see their symptoms ease in the evening. One reason is that cortisol levels rise in the morning and fall in the evening.

3. Your cuts have been very large. Smaller cuts should be more tolerable.

@[Al...] thank you for helping me with all of my questions.  I agree I talked to a lot of facilities and found only one that was willing to go the route of tapering rather than “detox” they said in 30 days I would likely still be on a low dose when I went home so perhaps that doesn’t make sense for all the pain I would cause my family 

The 3am wake up then ongoing palpitations until 6pm the next day must have to do with cortisol, interestingly enough I take the Valium at night before bed and it only keeps me asleep until 3am I hate nighttime now 

I pray that once I get steady at this dose I can cut smaller and it’s less painful.  My family and psychiatrist want me to go up even more back to 5 but I won’t it’s just really prolonging everything.  I guess I’m afraid of the racing heart and chemical anxiety - that it will be like this forever at this dose but I have to believe it will get better in time.  Please tell me if does.  

33 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

I know it must be hard, but I was reading one of your other threads and it sounds like you're getting great advice from knowledgeable people. If they are advising you to wait and stabilize at your current dose, I'm sure things will get better in time.

@[Al...] yes I’m blessed to have found this forum and thankful for people like you who are also suffering to take the time to encourage and give advice.  I will stay at this dose that’s the plan, never to go backwards. 

• Like 1

[Fa...]

@[...]  I concur with @[Al...].  Stabilize as best you can before moving forward with your taper.  Allow your NS to calm some.  That 3 a.m. wake-up is indicative of your being highly symptomatic.  The intolerance to cuts is also a sign.  Some more patience, and you can be on your way again.  Your dose is very low.

I don't even want to go into the detox scenario.  Being in your own home, with those who love you is the best place to be, in my opinion. Being able to be in your own bed.  Detox facilities are not nice and not recommended for BW.  And, that is putting it nicely.

• Like 1

@[Fa...] I love your photo - hummingbirds are so special to me.  Yes I am wary of the detox facilities they all really gave me pushy vibes when I talked to a few over the last few days and the 7-10 day taper puts the fear of god in me.  There was only one that stood out but it would mean being away for a month and all the way across the country from where I live.  Am I safe to assume you agree the symptoms will ease at this dose eventually? And to not do what my psychiatrist suggested and go to 5mg? (I really won’t be able to do that i can’t go back up after I’ve come this far).  The detox facilities tried to tell me I could have seizures and die coming off but if I’m doing such small cuts after I level off I am hoping my dose is low enough that is not a risk.  Thank you so much for helping me figure out what the right next step is.  I appreciate it so much 

2 minutes ago, [[F...] said:

@[...]  I love hummingbirds.  I have a tattoo of one. :)

When your gut screams that something feels wrong, it's because it is.

I could go on a rant about detox centres.  I went through what you have gone through...researching detox centres.  In Canada where I am, they don't even accept those who want to detox from a benzo.  They know success rates are exceptionally low and very complicated.  I made posts regarding it over a year ago when I was desperate.  I was in a state of panic.  All the replies I got were a resounding 'don't do it!'.  I think many of us go down this path of looking into it when we are panicked and just want this to end.  In my opinion, you will make things far worse...and, your agency can be taken away while in there.  I have nothing positive to say about them.

My thoughts on updosing if you were to get to a point where you felt you just could not sustain being at 2.5mg would not be to jump to 5mg.  I would try 3mg.  I would give that time.  If that was not enough, I would go up in another .5mg increment.  Especially given your low dose.  But, those are just my thoughts.  I'm not in your body experiencing your symptoms.  In my opinion, often times people updose too much when it may not be necessary.  If you feel you can hold and wait it out, then give that a try.  It is obviously preferable, but preferable doesn't always mean 'right'.

This quote makes me angry.  You can do this at home safely. 

@[Fa...] that’s exactly it - I’m panicking and want it to be over but I have to be patient and let it happen slowly in a safe way. I’m happy to hear it can be done at home without the risk of seizures- slow and steady - my aim will be to do .5 reductions when I’m stable.  Thank you again for taking to me tonight I really needed insight.  🙏🏻

[Fa...]

@[...]  You're most welcome.  Take some comfort that you do have this path figured out, and you will be successful.  Patience is the key.  It's the name of the game.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, [[M...] said:

@[Ms...] thank you for this - I totally agree the facility I was considering follows The Ashton Taper method.  I am at 2.5 Valium and would want to finish my taper with them in a better more compassionate environment than at home where my husband tells me “fix yourself” so I can be at a level I was before all of this.  

this is the place https://www.ororecovery.com/ashton-method-benzodiazepine-withdrawal-treatment/