Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

A question about the CNS

[jo...]

If we are at risk of future withdrawls because of previous withdrawls, does this meen drug withdrawls in general? So if we've had previous benzo withdrawls does that make us more susceptible to say, more severe opioid withdrawls, antidepressent withdrawls etc.

Or is the susceptibility only to withdrawls that hit the same receptors? Does our nervous system just remain fragile to dependancies and withdrawls in general? 

[Re...]

Very good question @[jo...]. According to member's reports and my own experiences, we become more sensitive to any changes in our chemistry. It might be withdrawal from beta-blockers, antidepressants, benzos, supplements - we are just more sensitive to it all. 

I had to taper metoprolol, and it was way more difficult than it should have been, and it also aggravated my other symptoms that were due to benzo withdrawal. 

• Like 1

[En...]
8 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

Very good question @[jo...]. According to member's reports and my own experiences, we become more sensitive to any changes in our chemistry. It might be withdrawal from beta-blockers, antidepressants, benzos, supplements - we are just more sensitive to it all. 

I had to taper metoprolol, and it was way more difficult than it should have been, and it also aggravated my other symptoms that were due to benzo withdrawal. 

I have a AP to wean off next. My Dr told me I can just quit this as it isn't like a benzodiazepine and isn't addictive. I dont believe it will be that easy. I am on a low dose but i tried coming off it a couple months ago and I felt horrible. I assume it is because of my sensitive nervous system. 

• Like 1

[jo...]

Yeah I'm going onto an AD and wondering what it's going to be like down the line coming off that. I don't know much about AP's. Whats the withdrawl from those like? Is it similar to Benzos?

[En...]
6 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Yeah I'm going onto an AD and wondering what it's going to be like down the line coming off that. I don't know much about AP's. Whats the withdrawl from those like? Is it similar to Benzos?

From what I read it is similar. I was prescribed it for the anxiety I was having on benzos before I got educated what was going on with me. I assume i will have insomnia and anxiety coming off but i am not sure. I could be totally wrong and have no issues. This is why being polydtugged is bad. 

[5f...]
2 hours ago, [[j...] said:

I wen t CT on AD and it was horrible but benzo WD is infinite worse. I would go again on my AD CT 3 times in a row better than benzo WD. Nothing equals benzo withdrawal.

[5f...]
2 hours ago, [[j...] said:

If we are at risk of future withdrawls because of previous withdrawls, does this meen drug withdrawls in general? So if we've had previous benzo withdrawls does that make us more susceptible to say, more severe opioid withdrawls, antidepressent withdrawls etc.

Or is the susceptibility only to withdrawls that hit the same receptors? Does our nervous system just remain fragile to dependancies and withdrawls in general? 

I am 100% sure that my AD CT let my brain damaged and that led to having benzo dependency so fast and and so easy.

I am positive, once you WD or CT your brain is not drug friendly never again

[Ro...]

I can only speak from personal experience.  After my year and a half taper off Clonazepam, I tapered off Mirt with absolutely no problems.  I'm currently tapering off Abilify (an AP).  I'm at 1.6 mg from 10 mg and have encountered no symptoms over the 5+ months.

• Love 2

[En...]
26 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

I can only speak from personal experience.  After my year and a half taper off Clonazepam, I tapered off Mirt with absolutely no problems.  I'm currently tapering off Abilify (an AP).  I'm at 1.6 mg from 10 mg and have encountered no symptoms over the 5+ months.

How are you tapering off the AP? How far off did you start to taper your AP after you stopped clonazepam? I am trying to figure out how to proceed from 2 weeks off clonazepam. I am thinking I should stabalize first? 

[Ro...]
35 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

How are you tapering off the AP? How far off did you start to taper your AP after you stopped clonazepam? I am trying to figure out how to proceed from 2 weeks off clonazepam. I am thinking I should stabalize first? 

I'm tapering at a rate of 20% every 10 days.  I completed my Clonazepam taper Nov. 2023, starting the Abilify taper two months later in Feb. of this year.  Yes, sounds like a good idea to stabilize from your benzo taper first.

• Like 1

[mo...]
6 hours ago, [[D...] said:

I am positive, once you WD or CT your brain is not drug friendly never again

Im so sorry to hear you are suffering in this way.

I’m not sure if you are specifically referring to withdrawing/cold turkeying benzos that creates a brain that is unfriendly towards drugs. But in the case of antidepressants, I have cold turkeyed many antidepressants (some with significant side effects). But when I have tapered properly, I have always had zero to minimal side effects (even with the same antidepressant I had previously cold turkeyed painfully).  

I’m not finished with my benzo taper yet, so I’m not sure of my personal outcome. But just wanted to throw in a positive reminder that our brains have an incredible ability to heal and it’s likely many people will not end up with permanent and severe sensitivities :)

[De...]

I guess we are all diferent. I am waiting to stabilise with this benzo wd to start tapering ad that i was put on. I talked with my doctor to give more time for my body And mind to recover from all this And then to start ad taper when I am ready (not scared like now). 
🫣

[Ct...]
12 hours ago, [[R...] said:

@[Ro...] How much Mirtazapine were you taking and how did you taper it?

[Ro...]
32 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

@[Ro...] How much Mirtazapine were you taking and how did you taper it?

I was taking 7.5 mg tablets.  My taper rate was 10% every 10 days.  I used a nail file for my cuts.

• Like 1