Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Uk Prescriptions

[li...]

I have had drug counselling recently and they told me to speak to my gp for any medications needed while tampering off valium... 

GP told me to more or less get lost and come back with a email from your drug counsel 

I feel like I'm getting pushed pillar to post just to make it through the day 

Anyone in the UK with any advice would be amazing, I've recently done 2 months cold turkey, including seizures and extreme anxiety.....

I feel with help I can completely get off the drug but it seems there is no help 

[Cr...]

Hi mate , I'm the same a am in the UK and the doctors told me they wouldn't help but don't stop talking them I could die wtf lol I hope you get help mate 

• Like 1

[Cr...]

Hello @[li...], welcome to BenzoBuddies.

You are already going through a lot with benzo withdrawal, so it doesn't help matters when medical personnel are not being as cooperative as they should be.

Can you give us some history on your benzo usage and tell us where you are currently at in dose for your Valium?

We have several members that are from the UK. I am not too familiar with the protocols of your healthcare situation, but hopefully others will offer some useful suggestions on how to proceed. Maybe good ole @[Co...] may pop in at some point.

• Like 1

[jo...]

I'm from the uk and can't find good support from the health care system. They just tell you that your problems can't be because of the benzos because there out of your system, Then offer you an AD and CBT. This seems to be common wherever your from is what I'm finding. There are no support groups either such as AA and NA.

• Angry 1

[li...]

I started talking them about 7 years ago, I started taking them without the knowledge of the long term and was happy with the short term confidence boost, happiness

Years later I've lost 3 great paying jobs, friends, money and my will to live ! 

The health care is absolutely shocking atm for anything in the UK, nevermind a drug withdrawal 

[li...]

Am I right that in America you can pay for benzos over the counter? 

Well in the UK they have refused them to me after multiple seizes

At this point I'd give a weeks wage to feel okay for 2 weeks.

• Haha 1

[Ka...]
53 minutes ago, [[l...] said:

I have had drug counselling recently and they told me to speak to my gp for any medications needed while tampering off valium... 

GP told me to more or less get lost and come back with a email from your drug counsel 

I feel like I'm getting pushed pillar to post just to make it through the day 

Anyone in the UK with any advice would be amazing, I've recently done 2 months cold turkey, including seizures and extreme anxiety.....

I feel with help I can completely get off the drug but it seems there is no help 

Sorry to hear this @[li...] am in UK too. 
Are you able to ask the drug counselling service to email your GP? This should be joined up healthcare & it looks to be extremely lacking leaving you without help. No one should be left at risk of seizure. That’s positively dangerous. 

Nationally, there is dhi-online.org.uk who provide drug addiction support  service in local areas (sorry that’s what they call it but you’ve had a dependency on valium not addiction) & I believe work collaboratively with GPs. Maybe that’s another place to try. 

I hope you get help you deserve and need. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Cr...]
31 minutes ago, [[l...] said:

Am I right that in America you can pay for benzos over the counter? 

No. They are a schedule IV controlled substance (a few in schedule I), you can only aquire them by a prescription.

I am just astonished that they would not offer you benzos after having seizures. I don't know the full story but on a general analysis that does not seem like proper protocol.

Did they offer any other types of seizure meds?

• Like 1

[li...]
1 hour ago, [[K...] said:

Sorry to hear this @[li...] am in UK too. 
Are you able to ask the drug counselling service to email your GP? This should be joined up healthcare & it looks to be extremely lacking leaving you without help. No one should be left at risk of seizure. That’s positively dangerous. 

Nationally, there is dhi-online.org.uk who provide drug addiction support  service in local areas (sorry that’s what they call it but you’ve had a dependency on valium not addiction) & I believe work collaboratively with GPs. Maybe that’s another place to try. 

I hope you get help you deserve and need. 

1 hour ago, [[l...] said:

I haven't heard of my GP since 2.30pm when he needed a email of my drug counsel, it's now 8.00pm and theve had the email.... I've not had a call back, maybe try again tomorrow. 😪

I've never felt so lost, lucky for me I know how to handle this withdrawl, it's more or less every other week but I feel for anyone who's not come across this situation before heart goes out to you guys 💔 

I know friends that's on similar support but had it years ago, Britain is a dying country to be fair what's my one problem compared to 100s of thousands in the UK

[li...]
1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

Did they offer any other types of seizure meds?

As soon as I've heard of my GP i will let you know for future reference 

[On...]

@[li...]. Well done on jumping off these drugs. Totally hear your struggle,I'm in the UK. I'm 81 days off benzos. My husband has helped me and had appointments with community mental health, though has been limited, my end have not coped with going lately. Had to have home treatment team help too, as was in severe crisis. Seeing a psychiatrist again, had to be appointments as had to be in hospital for 21days delirium/psychotic break, from two week cold turkey. 

Not ready for therapy, but writing loads down. 

Stay strong.