Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Will we ever get our old selfs back ?

[S_...]

I feel like I'm not the same person anymore. Will I ever be the same again ? :(

[be...]

if it is emotional symptoms only yes. if u have serious phyisical symptoms especial brain symptoms no

• Angry 1

[S_...]

@[be...] I only have emotional symptoms left but I'm worried I'll never be the same person I was :( 

[vo...]
1 hour ago, [[b...] said:

if it is emotional symptoms only yes. if u have serious phyisical symptoms especial brain symptoms no

You're saying our physical symptoms are permanent? What brain symptom are you stating is permanent? What is the disease or condition that you are referring to that we have as a result of  "permanent symptoms"? 

Edited by [vo...]
reworded

[pi...]

I knew that sometime, the real me would emerge. I chose to think to was a new and improved version. I was now someone who was much more proactive about her health and what she puts in her body. I also learned not to sweat the small stuff, having gone through an extremely challenging process. So yes, I believe you will be the same again.

• Like 2

[Ma...]

@[be...] Your posts continually saying this is permanent is not helpful and it is incorrect.

I know you are suffering and afraid just like everyone here. This is a forum for support and encouragement.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

[En...]
5 hours ago, [[S...] said:

I feel like I'm not the same person anymore. Will I ever be the same again ? :(

Yes. I felt like I was going to feel like this permanently before I had any windows. I have had periods where I felt like myself again even better because you will not take the good days for granted. When I feel hopeless I talk to myself that these feelings are a symptom and will go away because they have before and will again. It does help to have acceptance that this is what you have to go through in order to get better. We all get feelings of hopelessness. We have to develop coping skills. We have to have acceptance. We have to have good support. We are all suffering on here and we are here for each other because we understand each other. You will feel good again. Let that thought be your strength. 

Edited by [En...]
  • Like 1

[vo...]
2 hours ago, [[M...] said:

@[be...] Your posts continually saying this is permanent is not helpful and it is incorrect.

I know you are suffering and afraid just like everyone here. This is a forum for support and encouragement.

@[Ma...] thank you for saying this. I've already used up my "reactions" today. We should have only one topic for people to post doom and gloom. lol.

Edited by [vo...]
update
  • Like 1

[be...]

sorry. if i upset u guys. but my head is full of so many weird symptoms and i have read so many stuff about protracted brain symptoms so i was kinda scared

• Like 1

[vo...]
1 hour ago, [[b...] said:

sorry. if i upset u guys. but my head is full of so many weird symptoms and i have read so many stuff about protracted brain symptoms so i was kinda scared

@[be...] I'm sorry. I get that is what is going through your mind and it can be consuming. It may also cause your symptoms to worsen. The only way I can find to cope with all the symptoms is distraction. Try to stay strong through this. Keep a journal if you can so you can keep track of your symptoms and how they make you feel. I recently posted about the sound sensations finally subsiding. I never thought they would go away, but they did. If I wasn't writing all my symptoms down, I may not have realized the sound sensations have now left me. Umpteen symptoms left to go.

• Like 1

[PE...]

I don't want that guy back. After this journey it's impossible not to change. 

Better stronger faster 😁

• Like 2

[WU...]

"Will we ever get our old selves back?"

I sincerely hope not!  Reminds me of the phrase everyone was using a couple of years ago " Build Back Better"!

• Like 2

[PE...]
2 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

@[WU...] I mean the person we were before the benzos 

What he means is that you will be a new a improved version of your old self.

• Like 1

[WU...]
1 minute ago, [[S...] said:

I mean the person we were before the benzos 

We are always changing, so the person we were before the benzos isn't really relevant. We change whenever circumstances change or events occur. We develop throughout our lives and I never think of the person I used to be, only the person I am now.

• Like 1

[WU...]
2 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

What he means

I am a she not a he!

• Haha 1

[PE...]
1 minute ago, [[W...] said:

I am a she not a he!

Omg I'm sorry!!

🤐

• Like 1

[WU...]
1 minute ago, [[P...] said:

Omg I'm sorry!!

Apology accepted ! 😀

• Like 1

[Fa...]
21 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

I am a she not a he!

Before the site changed software, there were indicators for 'male/female'.  Unless it's obvious, I never know whether I'm replying to a male or female now.  I've made the mistake before, too.

[Ni...]

Good Day,

I can only speak for myself. YES! I’m a month out and feeling fabulous! Zero issues! I am like a totally new person. Tons of energy and going out and enjoying life. Not to say that I don’t have agoraphobia or panic. I have not had panic since ending but the agoraphobia is still there but very mild. I am working with a therapist using CBT. It’s working. I allow myself between 6-9 pm to go into my cocoon. That time frame is shrinking as well. Life is 100% better without these ridiculous medications. Work with your Dr and a therapist to work through CBT. Everyone is different and this is just my story. You can do this and look forward to an amazing life ahead! Please contact me if you want specifics on how I got here. 

take care of yourself and don’t beat yourself up. These drugs should be illegal! Not your fault! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Go...]

I’m with @[PE...] and @[WU...]!! I don’t EVER want to go back to who I was before this. I am excitedly looking forward to the butterfly that will emerge from this experience and am appreciating the person who I AM becoming already as I learn and grow each day. We cannot control how our bodies react to benzos or coming off of them, but we CAN control how we respond.

[Cr...]
8 hours ago, [[b...] said:

@[be...], please do not make statements using your own opinion and presenting it as a fact or a certainty.

You are essentially saying all people with physical symptoms will never go back to normal. You are barely 2 months into recovery so it is far too soon to even reach such a negative conclusion. Impatience with the recovery process does not excuse dangerous hyperbole.

There are many members that experienced no improvements for months on end that went on to recover.

[Ni...]
7 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

@[be...], please do not make statements using your own opinion and presenting it as a fact or a certainty.

You are essentially saying all people with physical symptoms will never go back to normal. You are barely 2 months into recovery so it is far too soon to even reach such a negative conclusion. Impatience with the recovery process does not excuse dangerous hyperbole.

There are many members that experienced no improvements for months on end that went on to recover.

These are my experiences only. My opinion IS that after withdrawal life does indeed become wonderful again. I am only trying to use my experience to give hope. It’s can happen! 

[Ni...]
11 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

As you can see the first this I say is “I can only speak for myself”. Please read entire post before attacking someone that’s going well. 

[Ni...]
8 hours ago, [[b...] said:

Are you a doctor and know exactly how it will be for everyone? Sorry, I can honestly say I have no issues. It can happen and please encourage people that things can go back to normal.