Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Steroids (Prednisone)

[al...]

Hi All

I am currently tapering valium. Started at 20 mg  and now down to 10mg.  Been having some back issues and need to take a steroid ( Prednisone) for a few days. Anyone have any problems or setbacks taking an oral steroid for a few days? 

Thanks for any responses

[pi...]

Hello @[al...],

I’’m sorry about your back problems. Some people do react to steroids and I frankly believe the oral ones have more side effects than injections. I’ve had both. I have never had withdrawal related issues with either. The oral ones are tough on my stomach and I feel like a sloth, very tired. I do better with injections, just some flushing and a burst of energy initially.

Steroids do have side effects that can include insomnia, anxiety and mood swings. 

One thing I did try before my shoulder replacement was PRP, plasma rich platelets. It uses your own blood and acts as a natural anti inflammatory. It worked before me before a vacation so I could be active with no pain. The downside is that more insurance doesn’t cover it and it’s pricy.

• Like 1

[Pa...]
58 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

@[al...] do not touch them , that’s the best advice I can give 

Hi @[Lo...], I can see you're passionate about steroids and I understand, many members have had bad experiences with them but its important we phrase our "advice" in a way that isn't prescriptive.  We do our best to avoid telling people what to do, here is a more detailed explanation.

Please adopt a non-prescriptive writing style. Relating your experiences, stating options, or posting suggestions of what other members might do are all welcome. However, advising members of what they should or must do is against the ethos of the BenzoBuddies Community. Nor should you attempt to 'diagnose' medical problems or suggest medical treatments to other members. This policy also applies to members with medical qualifications. A more detailed explanation of this policy can be found in our Guidelines regarding the Giving of Medical Advice

• Like 1

[Lo...]

I really think I was just giving my perspective if people wish to take them that is ok , I wish someone had told me 

[Le...]

they will add challenges. everyone has some WD from steroids. you are already dealing with a lot of inflammation likely and will react more strongly. present gains vs future challenges is the dilemma imo. 

i am very convinced that a lot of this WD creates inflammation and can even treat my occasional spikes in symptoms with anti inflammatories. 

I would suggest being very aware of how long you need to use them and the spike you will need to endure after.  

[WA...]

HELP!!!  I was put on 40mg of Prednisone for 4 days and 20mg for 2 days. My head felt like it was on fire. Heart palpations, high bp, anxiety. Went to the ER and they gave me compazine and Bendryl. Which made things worse. I used Xanax for 5 days which got me sick. My doctor put me on Zoloft (stopped after 5 days since I was having severe side effects) and Beta Blocker. 5 doses of a muscle relaxer off and on. My whole system went into shock. I was on all of that for 3 weeks. I stopped everything. This was 6 weeks ago. I'm still experiencing heart palpations, anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, tingling and pressure on face/head, exhaustion, muscle spasms, dizziness, lack of appetite, weight loss. What should I do? My doctor says I need to go to therapy... I'm too scared to restart an anti-anxiety med since I had such a bad reaction. Am I in danger? I'm scared. I do have rare windows where I feel okay so if I weren't ever getting better then that wouldn't happen right?! Mornings are the worse and things start to lighten 1-230pm usually but then my head gets fuzzy/dizzy, I feel down and tired.

[Av...]

A couple of Benzo buddies have had quite severe setbacks from this steroid. I’d be very wary. 

• Like 1

[Pa...]
53 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

HELP!!!  I was put on 40mg of Prednisone for 4 days and 20mg for 2 days. My head felt like it was on fire. Heart palpations, high bp, anxiety. Went to the ER and they gave me compazine and Bendryl. Which made things worse. I used Xanax for 5 days which got me sick. My doctor put me on Zoloft (stopped after 5 days since I was having severe side effects) and Beta Blocker. 5 doses of a muscle relaxer off and on. My whole system went into shock. I was on all of that for 3 weeks. I stopped everything. This was 6 weeks ago. I'm still experiencing heart palpations, anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, tingling and pressure on face/head, exhaustion, muscle spasms, dizziness, lack of appetite, weight loss. What should I do? My doctor says I need to go to therapy... I'm too scared to restart an anti-anxiety med since I had such a bad reaction. Am I in danger? I'm scared. I do have rare windows where I feel okay so if I weren't ever getting better then that wouldn't happen right?! Mornings are the worse and things start to lighten 1-230pm usually but then my head gets fuzzy/dizzy, I feel down and tired.

Hello @[WA...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

This is a lot to unpack but the trouble is, its on another members thread so it would be better if you started a thread of your own so we can get into the details.  For now though, I'll ask you a couple of questions so we can get started, then perhaps, you could start your own thread.

Please tell us how long you've used Xanax, was it only for 5 days and was that after you took the Prednisone?  If you only Xanax after your Prednisone dose then it wouldn't have been the cause of your extreme reaction.

You mention windows so are you withdrawing from another benzo, or have you withdrawn?

I hope we can help you, you sound so miserable.

@[Pa...]