Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Benzo Belly or Quetiapine Side Effect

[Os...]

Question for those who have experienced benzo belly.

i am currently in a diazepam taper. Now at 1.5 mg. Crosstapered from tamazepam 30mg, then 15mg, then 5 mg diazepam (this was one month ago). Tapered from 5-2mg in a month, just dropped to 1.5. While I was ending the 2mg, I started to get an upset stomach, really only at night. It feels like gas or stuck stool. 
Around that time, I also started taking quetiapine 25 mg for sleep. My question:

While I know everyone is different, have those of you that experienced digestive issues on taper/WD experienced the issues really only at night? I can eat fine during the day and have a full appetite, especially lunch and dinner.

Does it sound like the stomach issue is from the quetiapine or the taper?

I find it odd that it only occurs at night and improves during the day. 

[Cr...]

If you figure out this is from quetiapine use would that cause you to stop taking it? I imagine in a choice between benzo belly and no sleep many would prefer the belly issues. If it is from still being on diazepam then you know the solution is to finish the taper and pass time.

If you are willing to give up one night's sleep and skip the quetiapine just once, that may be enough to help you learn the answer.

• Like 2

[Os...]

Yeah, that’s where my mind is at too. I just was wondering if others had indigestion only at night. Thanks for the reply!

[On...]
On 15/07/2024 at 16:56, [[O...] said:

Yeah, that’s where my mind is at too. I just was wondering if others had indigestion only at night. Thanks for the reply!

Yes I've got ibs historical. But the night time is bad yes, it when trying to relax. I am not ashamed to say have treated with glycerin suppositories too. Emotional gut reaction is real, and gaba must have a field day. 

[Re...]
On 15/07/2024 at 06:03, [[O...] said:

Question for those who have experienced benzo belly.

i am currently in a diazepam taper. Now at 1.5 mg. Crosstapered from tamazepam 30mg, then 15mg, then 5 mg diazepam (this was one month ago). Tapered from 5-2mg in a month, just dropped to 1.5. While I was ending the 2mg, I started to get an upset stomach, really only at night. It feels like gas or stuck stool. 
Around that time, I also started taking quetiapine 25 mg for sleep. My question:

While I know everyone is different, have those of you that experienced digestive issues on taper/WD experienced the issues really only at night? I can eat fine during the day and have a full appetite, especially lunch and dinner.

Does it sound like the stomach issue is from the quetiapine or the taper?

I find it odd that it only occurs at night and improves during the day. 

I had a terrible experience with Quetiapine. After stopping it, I got gastro symptoms and tongue issues from them. Burning in my esophagus, tongue, and geographic tongue. You've got a lot going on with different meds. I don't think you will be able to pin it on one thing. All of these drugs and withdrawing from them cause gastro issues. All of them.