Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Withdrawal from Xanax

[Be...]

Hello. In fact I suffer from bouts of depression and was taking Mogadon to help with insomnia. When the depression receded 12 months ago, I managed to stop the Mogadon gradually then completely. But the depression came back since 4 months. I managed with a benzos but since one month I am taking Xanax 0.25 at night. However I do want to stop earliest.  

My question: is it difficult to stop Xanax say after 6 weeks and do I need to taper?

[Re...]

Hello @[Be...], I am really sorry you are experiencing depression, it can be a really challenging condition.

As you already have a history of use of benzodiazepines, I would personally be a bit more careful, yes. I would under no circumstances stop it abruptly. What taper rate you should choose, I can not tell.

The same time it might be really worth looking for some alternative coping strategies as well, CBT, excersise, lifestyle oriented changes if possible (better said than done - I know) .

Have you consulted with your doctor, is he/she willing to look for solutions other than benzodiazepines after you taper Xanax? I might be worth having a discussion about this. 

[Be...]

@[Re...] Thank you for taking the time to reply. Concerning my doctor, she just casually told me after taking Xanax for 1 month that I now try to stop it if my sleep is better. By myself, and considering I had taken the Xanax for 1 month, I opted for a quick taper. From 0.25 to 0.125 for 2 days and then cut to half dose every 2 days and be finished in one week. Do you think it is too quick? I had not taken into consideration the fact that in numerous occasions before I had taken benzos even if never for more than 2 or 3 months at a go.

For alternatives, I am trying exercise but not easy to be consistent.

Looking forward to hear from you.

[Re...]

@[Be...] It is completely irrelevant what I think, the most important thing is how you feel. There are people who can tolerate such fast taper regimens, and there are ones who need to taper for longer periods. You might try smaller, incremental steps, and your body will let you know if you have to slow down. I would personally give this a bit more time, yes. There is no rush, anyway... As you probably know already, the safest way to avoid issues is through a sensible, but tolerable taper. 

There is a phenomenon called kindling that is noteworthy, meaning that the cessation of a substance might be more challenging if done repeatedly. That is the reason, among others, why it might be worth considering an alternative therapy for the issues you are facing. 

[Be...]

@[Re...]Yes. Could be a kindling effect but I get confused with depression symptoms and withdrawal symptoms. Complicated to work out why I wanted to quit the Xanax quickest and deal with only one set of symptoms.