Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Does anyone else have hypercausis?

[S_...]

Hi guys How long till hypercausis completely goes away ? During my acute phase i had it constantly for few months straight and couldnt take my ear plugs off i thought it was gone but now it only gets triggered when I take few sips of coffee and  if I don't have any caffeine I'm completely fine even with very loud noise. Will this go away ? I read somewhere it's because of the tensor tympanic dysfunction in the ears caused by these stupid drugs...is this permenant ? :(  how long did yours take to go ?

[be...]

I do. When someone drops something or close the door, it soulds like someone is scrstching a chalkboard

• Like 1

[S_...]

@[be...] don't worry it won't be as bad once you pass the acute phase. I used to have it constantly and could not go without ear plugs for few months straight ! . I'm fine now and it only gets triggered when I drink coffee but I really hope this goes away too 

• Like 1

[Fa...]

@[S_...]  I know this sounds obvious, but have you tried cutting down on the coffee or drinking decaf if you aren't already?  It's a toss up, isn't it?  Weighing the enjoyment of coffee versus dealing with the sound sensitivities.  We give up so much we once enjoyed during this in the name of health and healing and to keep ourselves as symptom 'free' as possible.

It is not permanent.  No one knows how long each person will experience it.  I used to be completely intolerant of any noise.  It would send me into very difficult states.  At one point I thought even if I were to move to an island to get away from all the noise and everyday sounds, I'd still end up contending with the sounds of birds chirping, or a thunderstorm.  I felt like I was going to lose my mind.  Then, bit by bit, the acute sensitivity lessened.  I still do not like loud sounds...I feel my NS get triggered by them.  But, the severity is not what it was.  As we heal, this can only get better over time.  But, there is no prediction as to the timeframe.  We are all too unique to try to compare, and it brings more frustration than anything.  

Warmly,

F

• Like 1

[S_...]

@[Fa...] hi faith I still could not tolerate a full cup of coffee because it feel like I'm on lsd when I drink it but I try a few sips and it brings back my hypercausis I'm worried I'll never be able to drink coffee again :( are u able to tolerate caffeine ? 

[Fa...]

@[S_...]  I have not drank caffeine for many years now.  Not because of WD, I just decided to quit.  I LOVED coffee.  Still do.  I just gave it up.

I don't believe you will never be able to drink coffee again.  You may not be able to drink it now...but, that is just now.  You can keep giving it a try once in a while to see if things have shifted for you.  But, it's not gone for good.

Have you tried decaf?

• Like 1