Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Zopiclone titration taper

[Bu...]

1 Has anyone tried this and succeeded?

2 can tapers work when tolerance has already developed?

3 is there any point in trying it now so many weeks down the line? 

I came off zopiclone 5.5 weeks ago, started to develop tolerance after 3.5 weeks continuous use of 7.5 mg a day. Reduced quickly and stopped over three days. Not too bad for the first week but now nightmare symptoms. Akathisia (mild, several hours last night. Happened badly during daytime once. confusion, sleep small and often toxic nap style, numbness in feet and fingers, intermittent extreme fatigue, instrusive thoughts. Muscle jerks. Also occasional severe panic attacks. 

things are feeling unbearable

I have long covid and was very weak from that before this began

i don’t want to try diazepam substitution cos I tried diazepam on two occasions before zopiclone to treat muscle jerks and agitation associated with a head injury. The first day was great but on the second day I felt convinced I was going to die, had severe anxiety and felt  insects crawling on my face. It also made my vertigo worse. I had problems with coordination then, even brushing teeth, though this happened during the time I first tried diazepam when I was taking 0.5 mg up to three times during the night. 

im so desperate now I’m thinking of trying to switch to diazepam, or going back on a smaller dose of zopiclone and trying to taper that

hence the three questions I posted at the beginning 

I would be so grateful for some advice

[pi...]

Hello @[Bu...],

I want to clarify something, are you off zopiclone now? Are your questions related to reinstating and then tapering slowly using tiny dose reductions? 

I have seen other people reach dependency and tolerance with short term use. I’m sorry that you are having a difficult time. However, you are still very new off the drug and at this point the symptoms can be pretty awful.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, I believe you can do small dose reductions with zopiclone. I will try to find one of our members who did follow this plan.

2. Yes, you can taper while in tolerance. This was my case. I knew the alternatives were to either updose, which I would not consider, or to taper. I chose to taper.

3. This is tricky. Reinstatement does not always work. I’ve read many people regretting the decision to do that. However, there are some who found it worked for them. Unfortunately there is no way to predict the outcome.

It’s also quite possible that what you feel is exacerbated by suffering with long covid. Many symptoms overlap with benzo/z drug withdrawal.

[Bu...]

Thanks piano girl 

I am 5.5 weeks completely off zopiclone. I’m asking about reinstatement.  To be honest the last time I took zopiclone it made me feel awful

im sure you’re right that there is a crossover with my long Covid symptoms 

im bedridden and unable to entertain myself/distract myself from the intense symptoms and they vary so much every day. My long Covid symptoms used to be consistent and never involved anxiety. 

I think reinstating it would probably be a bad idea. The awful doc that started all my pain also prescribed clonazepam which I haven’t tried yet. I think that would be an even worse idea

i think I have to just carry on and hope I can take it 

i spoke to a benzo service (not local and just kind enough to speak to me) today and they said that with my duration of use it’s likely that things will improve a lot over the next couple of months. I guess I have to hold on to that

wish me luck please

[pi...]

Hello again @[Bu...],

I agree, starting clonazepam is a very bad suggestion. You would be on the road to dependency again with a very strong benzo.

Of course I wish you luck, and also I will send some hope along as well.

When I was on the thick of things, acute phase, I had movies going day and night. I didn’t really watch them, but just having them there was something of a distraction. I read Success Stories. I met a great group here on the forum and we encouraged each other, celebrated the good days and even shared a few pity parties. 

Things will improve, the body wants to find balance again. The hard part is waiting, we’re not in charge of that.  Healing takes its own path on its own time.

• Like 1

[Bu...]

Thanks piano girl 

unfortunately cos for long covid brain fog I can’t have movies - too overstimulating 

extreme weakness from long covid means that I can’t do much with my arms either

it’s a horrible ongoing challenge to keep sane, but am trying my best 

I have windows where I write music which is nice 

Thanks for your encouragement 

• Like 1

[pi...]

Wow, writing music. I admire people who have that talent. I play very good but the composition gene passed by me. 

[Bu...]

Dumb question here - but is it piano that you play?

I’ve played piano since age four. Playing ability took big hit with long covid brain fog two years ago, gradually recovering j until covid relapse a few months ago. Then concussion followed by Benzo madness has meant some days I can’t play at all but others I can play simple pieces for a few minutes .

last year I was composing properly for my old choir. 

now this is the best I can do.

see attached file - tell me what you think :-)

image.jpg

• Like 1

[pi...]

Yes, I play and teach piano. Honestly, while in the thick of withdrawal I think my 5 and 6 year old students played better than me! 

It’s a little hard to read the score, I believe it’s in d minor, yes? It’s a very lovely melody! 

[Bu...]

I always wanted to teach piano :-) 

I remember when I was first I’ll with long covid I would forget what I needed for work, turn up places at the wrong time etc

now with the Benzo poisoning I’m bedridden and in terror and would love  to have that level of function back

I’m glad you like my composition 

• Like 1