Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Does sound sensitivity from benzodiazepines go away?

[he...]

I am not referring to hyperacusis, but for example, the sound from my father’s TV bothers me even with our doors closed.

I am in tolerance from pregabalin (200 mg) and diazepam (12 mg), which due to the luvox I take is then 2.8 fold the dose I mentioned for the diazepam due to the interaction of these drugs.

So, there is a lot to taper, and I am trying to find hope that my brain will again process information without causing discomfort or if I will need to adapt for life. I hope and pray that for things to get normal again, to be healthy again.

Your experiences are welcomed.

[Go...]

@[he...] I can’t tell you if it goes away or not, but I can tell you that I experience the same thing. I have little kids and it’s very difficult for me to escape noise. What is even worse for me is multiple sounds going on at once (people talking while music playing, etc.) it’s just too overstimulating. 

[Fa...]

@[he...]  Yes, this will go away as your NS slowly begins to calm.  One may think how will that happen when I have so much more to taper still...how much longer will I not be able to tolerate exterior stimuli?  However, it will not be a question of will this ever go away....because it will.  Even during the taper process.

I can only speak for the way in which this dissipated for me, and I am still tapering.  I actually purchased blue tooth headphones so that when the TV was being watched by another in my home, they could listen through them so that I could have a quiet environment.  I was not able to tolerate the sound of the TV.  Even noise from the kitchen in the distance would set my NS off.  It's very difficult.  I completely understand.

What I can tell you is that this gradually became less and less invasive to me.  I still do not like a lot of exterior stimuli, but there is no comparison to how it affected me before versus how it affects me now.  Now, it feels like more of a preference to have a quiet, calm environment...not like a threat to my well-being if it is not.  It does not set off my NS as it did.  The shift just happens as a natural progression, and there is nothing I did differently to expedite it.  It's just time.  But, it is not a permanent situation.

Warmly,

F

[Re...]

I've been off of benzos since September of 2022. I still have sound sensitivity. it is not as extreme but still very very difficult to live with. I hope that it goes away. I got tinnitus with it as well. These drugs are ototoxic along with many others. I hope and pray you start to feel better soon. @[Fa...], Glad to hear you are improving.

Edited by [Re...]

[Fa...]

@[be...]  I would be cautious using the term 'permanent' for multiple reasons.  Most importantly, I would caution it because it instills fear, and many are already dealing with a chemical induced fear during WD.  It is a disservice to members to add to their fear.  This is not toxic positivity, it's being mindful of the states of others and not wanting to add to the distress.

I am well aware that symptoms can last for varying degrees of time...often far longer than is humane.  But, that does not equate to permanency.  I have no problem addressing this point because I feel much frustration when I read members alluding to symptoms being permanent.  It pops up once in a while, and each time it spawns a thread of worry and a sense of hopelessness.  We are here to lift each other up within these unknown periods of time of very difficult symptoms/suffering.  Expressing your feelings of fear and hopelessness is one thing...suggesting permanency is not helpful.  Fear of permanency is real.  Most of us have felt it.

@[Re...]  I'm a glad we are not where we were when we first met.  It is still not where we want to be, but we are not where we were.  I feel grateful for that...for us both.   

[da...]
5 hours ago, [[T...] said:

So this is something I’ve been struggling with and I think I just need to get it out and see whether others have this. To start, I’ve tapered down to 0.188mg clonazepam. It has been brutal and is getting harder. Through this process I feel like I’ve lost my identity and even maybe my personality. I do get a lot of depersonalisation and severe anxiety in withdrawal. I also have a history of cPTSD. But I feel like I have no sense of self, no identity, no personality even at times. I know the DP can cause these feelings but I’m just so lost. I seem to try to be the old me before withdrawal but he’s just not there. I find myself ruminating back through my life to see who I might be but I’m 45. I’ve been many people. I can’t relate to the people I love because I feel like I’m just not here properly. And they relate to me as if I’m ok, and like I’m the old me, but that person is gone, at least for the moment…. Maybe forever. It doesn’t help that I feel so numb and blank inside. I’m often confused about how I should act in a situation. I think in reality I do much better than I feel like I am doing when I have to interact with people but I just don’t feel anchored in myself at all and will often just act like the people around me to fit in and try to hide how I feel. Feeling so lost. If people have experienced this I’d love to chat about it.

Thanks

Wow. I actually thought im the only one on here who felt like this. I too act to blend in cause i feel like my personality is blank. It has been worse lately but i think its also part of anxiety 

[he...]

I was wondering if introducing rexulti contributed to reducing your symptoms somewhat; but it would be good to know if removing it also contributed

[Fa...]

Nothing positive came from Rexulti.  What came from Rexulti was Akathisia.  As far as my sensitivity to sound dissipating, I don't know why.  It would be guessing.

Are you still going back and forth about Rexulti?

[vo...]

@[he...] I just read this post and it dawned on me that I was sitting outside for a little while and the birds chirping and loud cars weren't piercing my ears!! I realized that this hasn't been happening for the last two days. I've had sound sensitivity for almost 13 months. I'm hoping this sensitivity is now gone?!  There is hope!

• Like 3

[Th...]
On 15/07/2024 at 23:01, [[d...] said:

Wow. I actually thought im the only one on here who felt like this. I too act to blend in cause i feel like my personality is blank. It has been worse lately but i think its also part of anxiety 

I’m so relieved to hear you say that. I have been terrified it’s some sort of underlying disorder. I am sorry you’re going g through this too though. It’s horrific and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

• Like 1

[Th...]
23 hours ago, [[F...] said:

@[da...]  You should post this to @[Th...]'s thread.  I'm sure he would appreciate your response.

Warmly,

F

Thanks Faith 😊

• Like 1

[he...]

@[Fa...] in brazil we only have the 0.5mg dosage available, not the 0.25mg. This makes it difficult to use smaller dosages as part of my treatment. Because of this limitation, I’m currently leaning towards not using Rexulti.

• Like 1