Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Does anyone get through with minimal problems?

[ze...]

Has there been anyone who tapered slowly enough that they didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms or only experienced minimal withdrawal symptoms?

• Like 1

[Pa...]

We don't see many with that experience here, people who don't have problems don't typically need support.  We've had a few members sign up out of an abundance of caution only to find out they're one of the lucky ones who can get off of these medications with little to no problem.  

As for your question about a slow taper minimizing symptoms, its my belief that if you're going to experience symptoms, a slow taper can help minimize but it can't eliminate them.  I've seen some very slow tapers with much suffering so while slow tapering is one of our tools, its not the ultimate solution. 

• Like 3

[Ru...]

I'm one of the lucky ones. My taper went very smoothly, not without symptoms, but very doable.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

[mo...]

I started my taper in March after 2mg Xanax daily for 4 years. I have been terrifying myself for months by compulsively reading benzo withdrawal horror stories. I’m already 2/3 of the way through my taper with no symptoms other than dehydration. I try to remind myself that benzos are one of the most commonly prescribed drugs(30.6 million adults in the US within the last year), so there must be a large amount of people that are able to get off without significant suffering. Trying to stay hopeful! Don’t scare yourself too much, we’re all different.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

[ze...]
20 hours ago, [[R...] said:

I'm one of the lucky ones. My taper went very smoothly, not without symptoms, but very doable.

Thank you for this.

• Like 1

[ze...]
18 hours ago, [[m...] said:

I started my taper in March after 2mg Xanax daily for 4 years. I have been terrifying myself for months by compulsively reading benzo withdrawal horror stories. I’m already 2/3 of the way through my taper with no symptoms other than dehydration. I try to remind myself that benzos are one of the most commonly prescribed drugs(30.6 million adults in the US within the last year), so there must be a large amount of people that are able to get off without significant suffering. Trying to stay hopeful! Don’t scare yourself too much, we’re all different.

Thank you for saying this.

• Like 1

[ze...]
On 14/07/2024 at 15:11, [[P...] said:

We don't see many with that experience here, people who don't have problems don't typically need support.  We've had a few members sign up out of an abundance of caution only to find out they're one of the lucky ones who can get off of these medications with little to no problem.  

As for your question about a slow taper minimizing symptoms, its my belief that if you're going to experience symptoms, a slow taper can help minimize but it can't eliminate them.  I've seen some very slow tapers with much suffering so while slow tapering is one of our tools, its not the ultimate solution. 

Do you know, if I decrease and get withdrawal symptoms, will they go away if I go back to the previous dose? I know with antidepressant withdrawal, when I tried to reinstate, I got significantly worse.

[Pa...]
12 minutes ago, [[z...] said:

Do you know, if I decrease and get withdrawal symptoms, will they go away if I go back to the previous dose? I know with antidepressant withdrawal, when I tried to reinstate, I got significantly worse.

From what I've seen around here, its hit and miss, some members report symptoms getting worse by going back up in dose, sometimes they have to go even higher than the last reduction.  Where I see the most success is holding with most members reporting symptoms settling at some point.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
[Tr...]

@[Ru...] Hello Rubi, it is so encouraging to read that you have tapered smoothly! May I ask if you have taken other medications during your taper, for example a beta blocker, AD, etc?

[Tr...]

@[Ru...] Thank you so much for the reply! I am tapering Clonazepam 0,5 mg taken for only 7 weeks. I started 2 weeks ago tapering every week 0,0625 mg. I had only tinitus and dizziness as symptoms until last Saturday evening when I had an episode of tachycardia - 118 bpm for around 5 minutes and felt scared and disappointed. I will slow down my taper and decrease every 2 weeks like you did. I hope and pray that I will be able to carry on the taper without needing to take a beta blocker. 

May I ask what were your WD sxs during the taper?

Did you feel better or worse with the progression of the taper?

How do you feel now after your taper has finished?

Do you feel like your body and mind are returning to normal and the sxs are fading away or have disappeared? 

Edited by [Tr...]

[Ru...]

@[Tr...]

The first month was when things were the "worst" for me and even then they were not terrible. I had very mild flu-like symptoms; muscle aches, headaches, sore throat, but I remained very functional. I made a cut every 10-14 days and I'd feel it on day 5/6. As I got lower in my taper the symptoms went away all together.

I think that by cutting .0625 mg every two weeks is very doable. I remained very optimistic throughout my taper.

I started walking 3+ miles a day and I think that helped in my tapering.

Try not to think about your taper 24/7. Find things to distract you. For me, it was listening to podcasts. Limit your time on here. I say that with the utmost respect and acknowledgment that there are so many who are having a very difficult time. I had to cut my time away from here as I'd convince myself that I was having wd symptoms that I read someone else was having (phantom symptoms, if you will.) The benzo played with my brain.

I'm just over 6 weeks post jump and doing well. I thankfully have no symptoms.

You've got this!

Feel free to message me anytime.

Edited by [Ru...]
typos
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

[Tr...]

Thank you so much for your kindness, all the information, good advice and giving me hope! 

• Like 1

[or...]
On 14/07/2024 at 12:50, [[z...] said:

Has there been anyone who tapered slowly enough that they didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms or only experienced minimal withdrawal symptoms?

Hi z,

I am getting minimal enough to where I can do my normal routines, eat good, exercise, run errands etc.  I started out doing 1-3 % and now am doing 5% DMT (dry micro taper).  It works for me, and I taper then hold that dose for usually around 2 weeks, or less depending on how I feel.  If I'm confident I can handle the typical wd sxs I get, then I cut again. 

I've become adapted to my, I'll call them minor, wd sxs.  I have a number of sxs, but nothing puts me down except a bad migraine.  Otherwise, I have quite a bit of quality of life, oregonlady :hug:

PS I reserve the right to get on here and moan and groan though when it gets tough, for me. Especially when anxiety hits with a real "hair-trigger" temper I have to watch out for.  I'll isolate when I know I'm in that frame of mind.

• Like 3

Yes, my taper was very confortable and i was living life normally. Postponed for years as i thought it would be awful based on what i was reading. What got me in severe life altering issues leaving me disabled was taking single doses of benzos after the taper

Edited by [...]
  • Wow 1

13 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Did you do that many times? I think it's dangerous to have the stuff at home after quitting..I had to flush my down the toilet. 

About 5 doses in a period of maybe 7 weeks. All the knowledge i have know is useless as the damage is done 

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I will learn by your mistake! 

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you.. and next time just flush them..doing better job down the toilet..

Too late but thanks anyway 

• Like 1