Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Short term use of Valium

Hi everyone,

just wanting some information from experienced people.. my doctor has prescribed me Valium 10mg a day because of severe anxiety caused by an over active thyroid. I’ve been reading some pretty scary stories about getting addicted to them and the whole withdrawal process.. my question is I have been taking Valium 10mg for 11 days now is it ok to just stop cold turkey ? Or should I taper it down even from using it for such a short period of time? And information will be great 

[Re...]

Hello @[...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I am glad you joined the Forum and getting informed about physical dependence and benzodiazepine withdrawal. Benzodiazepines are very potent drugs and though they caused major issues for many of us here, given your very short term use, you will be most certainly fine :)

Do you have a history of (problematic) benzo or antidepressant withdrawal? If so, these might complicate things, but if you don't, I would do a faster taper discussed below, not exceeding a few days. 

I will post a link here about short term use:

https://benzobuddies.org/short-term-use-withdrawal/

Take care @[...]

I need to add, that the thyroid issue and consequential anxiety should be definitely addressed, of course by your heathcare provider. Raise them your concerns about these medications, it is within your right to do so. 

Edited by [Re...]
Added thyroid issue, link...
  • Like 2

Hi, @[...], and welcome from me too! It's just great you've found us and can clarify your benzo concerns here among those who are familiar with the matter first hand.  I absolutely agree with @[Re...], and i personally quit benzos very quickly without issues after a short term use first time. I wish i had known all the complications of taking benzo again, at least long term, then.

Good luck to you!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

Hello @[...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I am glad you joined the Forum and getting informed about physical dependence. Benzodiazepines are very potent drugs and though they caused major issues for many of us here, given your very short term use, you will be most certainly fine :)

Do you have a history of (problematic) benzo or antidepressant withdrawal? If so, these might complicate things, but if you don't, I would do a faster taper discussed below, not exceeding a few days. 

I will post a link here about short term use:

https://benzobuddies.org/short-term-use-withdrawal/

Take care @[...]

I need to add, that the thyroid issue and consequential anxiety should be definitely addressed, of course by your heathcare provider. Raise them your concerns about these medications, it is within your right to do so. 

Hi @[Re...]

thankyou so much for your reply. I have never taken any Benzos or antidepressants before this. But I do have a family member that has been addicted to Valium which is why I’m so worried. 

What also is scary is how much the Valium helped with my symptoms caused by my overactive thyroid which was mainly severe anxiety and debilitating panic attacks which I have never experienced in my life! 

I have tried clicking the link that you posted about short term withdrawal but it’s coming up with an error message that I don’t have permission to view it. 

Im thinking my best option might just be to quit cold turkey to not prolong the use of Valium.

As for my thyroid problem I’m being seen by an endocrinologist.

Hi @[...]

Thankyou so much for your reply! It’s great to have this forum for support that’s for sure! 

Can I ask when you quit after short term use did you do that cold turkey or did you taper? 

• Like 1

[Re...]

@[...] Most likely you won't encounter any issues either with abrupt cessation or bigger daily reductions (25-50%). But keep in mind, that your thyroid issue is most likely going to resurface and you should definitely address this with your endocrinologist. (It would be most ideal to discuss other treatments options before you pause this therapy - if possible). 

• Like 1

[Bu...]

Hello axel,

im not working anymore but was a gp for many years. Usually a beta blocker is given in these circumstances- never heard of vallium being given for this purpose. 

im in real trouble with my health now because of just 3.5 weeks of daily zopiclone use (five weeks ago) and two lots of taking diazepam for 3-4 days in a row and then stopping it. 

My advice is to start getting off the vallium immediately. Whether you should stop CT or reduce slowly don’t think I’m qualified to say - I think others on this site will help you more with that. 

Whichever you decide, please act immediately and best of luck with your health

have you tried exercise yoga or breathing exercises? 

Im too weak and confused from the withdrawals to do any of those (bedbound and needing a carer) as I already had severe long covid before I started these meds. 

get away from these drugs whilst you still can

Hi @[Bu...]

I am so sorry to hear about the state of your health. Hoping you make a speedy recovery. 

I am on a beta blocker and carbimazole for my thyroid. The beta blocker helped with my heart palpitations but didn’t help with my mental state. I have tried meditating and breathing exercises and nothing seemed to help. I couldn’t even do my day to day tasks I was bed bound from panic attacks and anxiety couldn’t drive or leave my house.. it was a really scary time. So my gp ended up giving me a prescription for Valium for short term use. But I really didn’t know about the withdrawal affects of it. Hoping when I come completely off Valium by some miracle the anxiety isn’t as intense! 

[Bu...]

Hi axel, thanks for your reply. So sorry it’s so terrible for you - I can empathise so much about bring housebound from your illness! 

I wonder why the panic attacks are so extreme- are you still not in therapeutic range for your thyroid disease? 

antidepressants can also be hard to get off and can also cause protracted withdrawal, that is less likely than with benzos.  I would choose to try an antidepressant over a Benzo if it were me

obviously you must do what you feel is right for you. 

best of luck