Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Switching frm clonazepam to valium

[ba...]

Hi everyone I hope this isn't a question in the wrong forum.

My taper: I have had benzo dependency for over 20 years. So after going to private treatment centre's 2 of them I relapsed as we all know they just aren't suitable for long tapers.

I am being pushed by immediate family. Was about to go to another centre but I got lucky and found this online doc willing to taper using clonazepam.

He has been all over the place. Currently I have dropped from 8 mg clonazepam to 3.5 mg. I think 8 lol been to long. It's been about 6 month. Living with parents and brothers family and wife and kids all them help but actually make it harder for obvious reasons.

Now I have been on 3.5 for a month and the doctor just forgot about it. I'm not contacting him because the anxiety is 10 out of 10 most days.

Now I'm going through a divorce situation. So hard. We all have issues but I was wanting t ask two things. 1) A pain doctor who I regularly see is willing to take over. I have to serve current doctor with the notice verbally if I switch. (Tough decision because who knows what the new doc will do). My plan is to ask him on the 26th when thee next drop happens wat his plan is. I think he will go jntense on me. Would u guys switch I mean I'm also on lyrica which will be hard to get off of and who knows what new guy will do but I'm just asking what u guys could recommend. Maybe I've asked this but my anxiety doesn't even let me think. Switch to someone I know or not? 

2) clonazepam is taking its tolerance out on Me so like u guys know I can't even feel it.

I wad thinking about switching t valium. Maybe the switch will help because of the longer action and it's a new drug.

I still have months to go. Family is scary wife is leaving and I have child custody issues. I wish this can end what a nightmare. 

Parents have assets in trust for me if I complete this taper. 

I know for sure I will have anxiety for ages after the taper. I will try staying on other meds if docs allow but I need some help clonazepaa not working and life is feeling so sickening.

Can't sleep so i end up taking meds early all at once. Can't eat or the medication wears off. This is something no doctor knows about. 

Thanks everyone I wish u guys all the luck in the world. @alpha has helped me so much.

Always stuck at home. Can't leave alone. It's just bad. I can barely do anything with being happy. Valium may help although it is weaker from past experiences.

[Fa...]

Hi @[ba...]

I have reviewed a few of your older posts.  You have come down a lot in dosage, although fairly fast.  It sounds as though you don't have a lot of control over the pace of your taper.  It, also, sounds as though your scheduled dose times are not consistent.  I'm having a little trouble understanding how you are receiving your scripts.  Dosing schedules are important.  They need to remain consistent so that your blood serum levels remain as level as possible.  This includes the dosage amount.  The more consistent you are with this, the more you are helping your body through the process.  Meaning, if you usually take half your dose in the a.m. and half in the p.m. and then decide to take a full dose all at once the next day, your symptoms will be exacerbated.

You are in WD, so it is not necessarily that Clonazepam is not working...it's that you are in WD.  You have experienced a fast taper along with two detox attempts in the rear view mirror.  Your NS has been through a lot.  And, the WD experience can be very, very difficult.  It is the way of it, unfortunately.

Deciding to switch to Diazepam would be a process unto itself.  It may not be an easy process for you.  There are no guarantees of how you will respond to Diazepam.  Some feel they do much better on it, and some have done the crossover and have decided to cross back again.  If you are considering this because you feel you should have more relief after taking your dose, you may want to reconsider.  If you were to abruptly stop taking Clonazepam, it would take very little time for you to see just how much it was in fact doing.  Both Diazepam and Clonazepam are long acting benzos but work differently...as you said, Diazepam does not pack the 'punch' that Clonazepam does.  Unless there was a serious reason you were unable to continue with Clonazepam, sticking with it may be a better path for you.  It seems as though there has been enough disruption to date.  However, if you are feeling as though you really need to give it a try, just know that it will be a slow transition and will add time to your taper.  It may take a good amount of time to settle into it, and I'm not sure by how you are describing your interactions and directions by your doctor that you will be given the time required to adjust to a crossover.

You can look at a difficult WD process as being in tolerance as you taper.  Your body is not getting the amount it needs any longer and it is constantly working at finding some degree of homeostasis after each cut.   

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' answer to whether or not you should switch.  It is such a personal decision.  Just consider that the grass may not always be greener on the other side.  There are always risks when changes are made.

I wish you the best, and I hope that this gives you a little to consider in making your decision.  Perhaps others will offer their thoughts and experience with respect to this.

Warmly,

F

Edited by [Fa...]
  • Like 1

[Al...]

Hi @[ba...]

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. It must be really hard dealing with all those domestic issues on top of your taper.

Regarding which doctor to go with, is there any possibility of negotiating with your current doctor before you decide? From what you say, it sounds like it may be difficult, but if you're considering giving him notice anyway, could you try explaining how bad your anxiety is and asking him to adjust the taper to give you some relief? If he refuses, at least you tried, and you will know where you stand.

Also, would it be possible to speak with your pain doctor about how he plans to manage your taper if you switch? You say he is willing to take over, but has he said anything about how hard he would push you? If he is willing to go slower and be more flexible than your current doctor, then that would be a good reason to switch.

I'm also wondering if there might be a third option such as finding a truly benzo-wise doctor who would be more understanding of your situation. You could always try posting here. Someone from British Columbia might know of such a doctor and be willing to point you in their direction.

With regards to switching to valium, I agree with @[Fa...] that it's usually best to avoid any big changes if possible. I asked a similar question a while ago, and this is the reply I received.

"I generally suggest that members make no unnecessary changes to their medication. If your dosing regimen is working, don't change it. And if the medication you are taking is working, don't change that.

Every change we make carries a certain (undefinable) risk. Changing the medication includes certain risks, so if the change is not required, don't make it.

Sometimes, the benzodiazepine we use becomes unsuitable or less suitable. That's when when you might/should consider your options.

For the most part, a gradual swap to another benzodiazepine causes no great difficulties. And as you suggest, some people benefit from diazepam's longer half-life. But a small number of people do not react well to diazepam, so why take the risk unless there is an obvious benefit from the change?"

Thinking of you and hope things improve soon!

• Like 1

[ba...]

Really appreciate both of you guys and your advice. @Faith25624 you are correct. This doctor one time stuck me at 6 mg eventually realized and in two weeks went to 5mg then in 2 weeks went to 4. I'm actually scared to call him.

I do agree that switching to Valium won't help. I agree but I will ask both doctors what they're taper plan for me looks like.

@[Al...] the wife situation is very hard. Can't sleep even with medication. It is what it is.

Have an appointment for pain doctor on the 22nd and I'll slide a few questions to him. He's nice just like the other guy but most doctors don't really care as much as they should.

I have an appointment for Mr. Phone doctor on the 26th. See what he says. If I don't like it I'll just switch.  

Family doesn't say much but they want me off asap. Lol I'm talking about family not the separated wife who is just awful. We have a 5 year old otherwise she would be gone in a second.

Thanks both if u I'll keep u updated. Been so stressed I took longer than I should have to respond. 

• Like 2

[ba...]

This separated wife ex wife issue is the worst. Don't wish it on anyone. No pot y u know what in but fights with people in the household everyday. Harrasing me I hsve called the cops. I just want her gone and I wish this taper was over so I can start my life. Just a bad person in general.