Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I need your help benzobuddies

[Du...]

Hey there guys I’ve been off klonopin for 4 years now, after being on it for 5 years. I got off slowly tapering over 2 years. in the 4 years being off them I have been doing pretty good. Been tapering my ssri now aka celexa, I tapered down from 10mg to 4mg in over the span of a year and a half. It was too quick for me and I jumped up to 8 mg still didn’t feel good so I switched over to lexapro which made me feel worse then I jumped off lexapro and went back on celexa thinking I’d feel better. Wow was I wrong I feel worse than I ever have in my entire life, it’s been a month now and i have been bedridden the whole time, unable to go to work and not able to take care of my kids. My anxiety is so high I’m in 24/7 panic and doom. My doctor prescribed me 5mg of Valium. What do you guys think? Should I take the Valium? I’m ok to take it for a while to be able to function again and then slowly taper back off. Has anyone gone back on benzos and then tapered again? Any input would be helpful. Thank u guys, I’m very sad this day has come 

[Cr...]

To answer your question, yes people have gone back on benzos and successfully tapered again after having experienced a withdrawal prior.

However, there is always a risk involved that the next time it may end up being a lot more difficult to taper off of the benzo. It may not be a matter of trading one problem for another, but temporarily helping one problem (ssri destablization) until the Valium stops working and now you face two problems.

That may not end up being the case, as you may luck out and find your 2nd taper/wd no worse than the first. You will have to make the choice to take the risk. I am sure most members would recommend you do not go back to using benzos.

It sounds like your AD taper caught up with you or you ran into a stressful period and panicked. By immediately doubling your AD dose then later jumping on a different med you probably desensitized your nervous system quite a bit (hence the anxiety). Your body may need some stability after those rapid changes and that usually comes in the form of time.

Have you tried anything for this anxiety yet (other meds, supplements or coping skills)?

• Like 1

[Du...]
1 minute ago, [[C...] said:

To answer your question, yes people have gone back on benzos and successfully tapered again after having experienced a withdrawal prior.

However, there is always a risk involved that the next time it may end up being a lot more difficult to taper off of the Valium. It may not be a matter of trading one problem for another, but temporarily helping one problem (ssri destablization) until the Valium stops working and now you face two problems.

That may not end up being the case, as you may luck out and find your 2nd taper/wd no worse than the first. You will have to make the choice to take the risk. I am sure most members would recommend you do not go back on Valium.

It sounds like your taper caught up with you. By immediately doubling your AD dose then later jumping on a different med you probably desensitized your nervous system quite a bit (hence the anxiety). Your body may need some stability after those rapid changes and that usually comes in the form of time.

Have you tried anything for this anxiety yet (other meds, supplements or coping skills)?

My original benzo I was on for 5 years was klonopin, figured Valium would be safer option to go on. As it might be easier to taper off with the long half-life and liquid version. I have tried everything , this is a last resort for me. I need to make myself able to go back to work or I will lose my job and then house. Benzos the only thing that has ever worked for me in the past and hoping it will work again. 

[Cr...]
15 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

My original benzo I was on for 5 years was klonopin, figured Valium would be safer option to go on. As it might be easier to taper off with the long half-life and liquid version. I have tried everything , this is a last resort for me. I need to make myself able to go back to work or I will lose my job and then house. Benzos the only thing that has ever worked for me in the past and hoping it will work again. 

Well there is a chance they could work again for you. And yes, Valium is generally the easiest to taper from due to certain attributes. 

I would say you may be able to avoid having to taper again if you only used it PRN and only long enough to see if things improve in regards to celexa, but even that can be risky when the body needs stability. Since Valium has a very long half-life PRN is usually not ideal since at even a week apart you would probably still have it in your system. You would still be getting dependent on it over time but not feel the benefits.

Luckily 5 mgs is not a very high dose. So assuming that amount is effective at treating your anxiety enough to get back to work (and you don't increase), then at least your future taper should not be very long.

Whether you decide to use the Valium or hold out for improvements without it, we will support your decision.

[Du...]
3 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Well there is a chance they could work again for you. And yes, Valium is generally the easiest to taper from due to certain attributes. 

I would say you may be able to avoid having to taper again if you only used it PRN and onlyblong enough to see if things improve in regards to celexa, but even that can be risky when the body needs stability. Since Valium has a very long half-life PRN is usually not ideal since at even a week apart you would probably still have it in your system. 

Luckily 5 mgs is not a very high dose. So assuming that amount is effective at treating your anxiety enough to get back to work (and you don't increase), then at least your future taper may not be very long.

Whether you decide to use the Valium or hold out for improvements without it, we will support your decision.

I have read horror story’s of people being off benzos for years, and then taking a single dose of benzo and becoming kindled or having adverse reaction and throwing them into WD again off one dose. Is that true ? That’s the only thing holding me back, I’m not scared of another slow taper if it will help me with my current situation. Tnx 

[Cr...]

That would be very rare to have such a severe reaction to one dose. Not impossible, but not exactly probable. I have had a benzo for surgery with no ill effects. My experience doesn't guarantee yours, but the negative severe experiences you are worried about don't guarantee yours as well. Based on statistics you are more likely to be ok.

Some permanent changes could have occurred during/after your last withdrawal to your gaba receptors, but at worst it may only be benzos are less effective or you become tolerant/dependent a lot more quickly than last time.

Anyway I, and anyone else, cannot promise you this will be free of risk. One problem right now is your anticipatory anxiety in conjunction with the current anxiety. If 5mgs is not enough to hold anxiety at bay, your fear of having a severe reaction may actually create a big panic attack that will make you think you had a severe reaction. Especially if you hyper-analyze your body after taking the first dose.

Just remember that your goal isn't to take enough Valium to completely stop the anxiety, but to lessen it just enough to where your normal life functions (work, kids) become tolerable again.

[Du...]

Thank you so much for being so supportive! last question, do you think gabapentin or lyrica would be a safer alternative? They have never worked nearly as good as a benzo in the past.

My doctor originally wanted to prescribe Ativan, but I told him I’d feel more comfortable with Valium since it sounds safer. Do you think that I was right in that sense? Tnx again

[Cr...]

I have no experience with gabapentin or Lyrica. If others found them helpful for severe anxiety I hope they chime in.

My anti-anxiety toolkit usually involves things chamomile tea, hot shower before bed, cbd tincture/gummies. Breathing exercises and guided medications from YT as well.

I always suggest members get their blood work done to test hormone levels for things like thyroid or testosterone, vitamin levels, etc. Always good to rule things out for added peace of mind and to remind yourself that this is just anxiety from a sensitized nervous system and things will calm down once again.

[Al...]

Hi @[Du...]

I was in a very similar situation to you earlier this year. My nervous system was destabilised by a change in the dose of my ssri and I was prescribed a benzo to deal with the aftermath. Now, 5 months later, I'm dependent on the benzo, I feel much worse, and I still haven't been able to go back to work. In hindsight, I wish I had waited for my nervous system to recover naturally from the ssri shock rather than taking the benzo. I know you must be feeling terrible right now, worrying about your children, your job and possibly losing your home, but ultimately your health is the most important asset you have, and taking valium could put that at even greater risk. If you do decide to take it, I would recommend following Crono's advice, using it very carefully and doing everything possible to avoid becoming dependent. I wish you all the best and hope that you will feel better soon.

[Sh...]

Our nervous system is wrecked.  We all hace a different answer because our bodies are all different.  I think your body got used to you doing one thing and a switch triggered your system.  Now you are going through this and there is no recipie.  I would probably go back to what my system is used to.