Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Can i heal from WD when i have got hyperthyreose .

[ma...]

I will not take medication for it . I'll try diet or other things . Last year i got asthma . It went away . I can not be sure if this goes away though .But i started to think that wd could be worse or never leave at all. The hyperthyreose has not been any better yet .I read about a lady who had a lot of treatment for it . But it went worse and ended catastrophic.It can be worse without treatment too. 
The lady started to take benzo because of that deseas .But did not tolerate it so she had to stop . She got akathisia and suffered too much. Can we get akathisia 18 months off ? I am scared i can be worse instead of better . I have the intent to work with it . But i can't be sure if it works . Have anyone any view or knowledge about this. 

[Cr...]

I assume you meant hyperthyroidism? Having that should not affect whether you recover from benzos or not. However, if you look at the potential side effects of hyperthyroidism:

Whole body: excess sweating, excessive hunger, fatigue, heat intolerance, or restlessness
Mood: mood swings, nervousness, or panic attack
Heart: abnormal heart rhythm, fast heart rate, or palpitations
Sleep: difficulty falling asleep or insomnia
Menstrual: irregular menstruation or short and light menstruation
Behavioral: hyperactivity or irritability
Eyes: abnormal protrusion of eyes or puffy eyes
Also common: weight loss, diarrhea, hair loss, muscle weakness, tremor, or warm skin

You will see that many of the symptoms are similar to benzo withdrawal. So it may become hard to tell when you have healed from benzo wd if your thyroid issues still remain a problem in the future.

@[ma...], hi, i'm sorry your hyperthyreose hasn't been any better yet but i think it always needs more time when we try to make smth improve via diets or other natural things. I remember you didn't have the disease untill not long ago when you caught an infection, right? If so, i don't think your case has anything to do with the lady and her issue. Hers was an initial decease treated in a wrong way and yours is most probably a reaction of your body weakened by benzo wd to an infection or smth else. Have you started the diet? I'd check on the condition a couple of weeks later to understand whether your natural treatment works and i hope it will! Just my view on it.

I can understand how scared and unsure you're but, please, don't torture yourself with the doubts on top of everything. They won't prevent you from healing but can make the hard process even more unpleasant. You're so determined and courageous going through all the, i think, withdrawal induced inexplicable deceases attacking you. And, at least, asthma held back. Hope hyperthyreos will do the same. I'm not at my best at the moment either. It's a pain&tension day for me today but i'm sure we will heal in the end!

• Like 1

[or...]
16 hours ago, [[m...] said:

I will not take medication for it . I'll try diet or other things . Last year i got asthma . It went away . I can not be sure if this goes away though .But i started to think that wd could be worse or never leave at all. The hyperthyreose has not been any better yet .I read about a lady who had a lot of treatment for it . But it went worse and ended catastrophic.It can be worse without treatment too. 
The lady started to take benzo because of that deseas .But did not tolerate it so she had to stop . She got akathisia and suffered too much. Can we get akathisia 18 months off ? I am scared i can be worse instead of better . I have the intent to work with it . But i can't be sure if it works . Have anyone any view or knowledge about this. 

I had thyroid issues Margie and the doctor wanted me to take pills, first thing he suggested.  I went with nutrition, diet same way I went when I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes.  Both issues are totally under control now and I'm tested regularly and no issues. 

I don't believe there is a cure for T2, and I don't know about hyperthyroidism, but like I said, both mine are under control just with nutrition, and probably my exercise helps too.  Walking is my main form of exercise.

It takes longer (like @[...]says) to get something  under control with changing your foods, rather than popping a pill, but after what's happened with me, and so many I've heard their benzo stories, I will avoid pills if I can do the healing naturally, or at least get things under control, oregonlady :hug:

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 1

[ma...]

Thank you Kate . It helps a lot to get and objective thought  on it . The fear easely take over when i go with it alone . And then i don't think clear. Like a constant panick attack .Like living under a shadow .And only doomsday thoughts left .Where are you living ? Is the summerweather to any help ? Its important to drink enough water to stay hydrated . Fresh air is important too .Maybe some walks on the grass bearfoot .❤️

• Like 1

[ma...]

@[or...]thank you for telling me this . So happy yours are under control . That's the main thing . I dont't know if i am doing this right , but i have tryed to stop gluten, diary and sugar . And drink melissa tea . Stress is probably a very bad factor .:hug:

[or...]
9 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

@[or...]thank you for telling me this . So happy yours are under control . That's the main thing . I dont't know if i am doing this right , but i have tryed to stop gluten, diary and sugar . And drink melissa tea . Stress is probably a very bad factor .:hug:

I was sick of being sick and tired, then getting diagnosed with thyroid and diabetic issues I was more than ready to eat a diet I felt was healthy and right for me.  I cleaned out my cupboards and fridge, and yes, even threw away food.  Anything canned or unopened I gave away.  I look at sugar and any high carb foods as poison, just like a benzo.  I don't miss the things that made me sick, and I won't miss the benzo when I'm done my taper. At least that is what I believe.

Life is full of stress I cannot escape so I've learned to deal with it in better ways.  If nothing else, I can sit in my chair and just rock back and forth, maybe have a good cry, and it passes.  I've come to know that I am much stronger than I thought I could be.  I think without struggles in life I would not be as strong and resilient as I am.

By the way, within the first 2 weeks I was seeing and feeling changes, just from changing up my foods.  I followed the keto diet, and was on a support forum, still there as well. Helps to be around others that are recovering from Insulin Resistance, which I believe is a precursor to some other diseases like T2, oregonlady

2 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Thank you Kate . It helps a lot to get and objective thought  on it . The fear easely take over when i go with it alone . And then i don't think clear. Like a constant panick attack .Like living under a shadow .And only doomsday thoughts left .Where are you living ? Is the summerweather to any help ? Its important to drink enough water to stay hydrated . Fresh air is important too .Maybe some walks on the grass bearfoot .❤️

I agree, Margiflower, all our fears are at their worst when we're alone, messing our mind while, paradoxically, the brain keeps recovering... That's why it's just precious to be able to share here and get understanding and thoughts of others, going through smth similar. Provides with a feeling of a friendly shoulder. 

It's very hot and stuffy in my place. Not a good environment for healing right now🥺 Thank you! I'll bear in mind your advice on drinking water, always forgetting about it. I walk a lot but can't do it barefooted bc it's a big city, although there is a kind of wood near my block of apartments, which has been my road to life since the withdrawal beginning.

Never forget you're not alone and whatever symptoms, are healing!💖

[ma...]

Its easy to forget we are healing .Its more as , this is how life has become .And that hopelessness that comes with that believe . @[...]Thank you . We need reminders often . And its so good to get.

• Like 1

[ma...]

@[or...] You are lucky to have a diet that works . I am not sure of mine yet . Have not had the ambition to read so much about it . I guess its interesting to feel when it works .Food are important for the hole body including even  looks . I have aged so much this last 2-3 years first with tolerance and the withdrawel . 
Hope you are still well :smitten:

[or...]

I started my nutrition 3 years before I started tapering. I don't think I could have done it, and worse than that, I would have wondered if my high blood glucose was just from withdrawals.  Never thought of that, but I still might have changed my diet because I was frieked out that I had diabetes & thyroid issues.

I'm not truly not feeling well today, I had zero sleep lastnight, first time I ever had zero sleep.  I'm 9 days into my last taper, and holding.  I think I'll have to hold longer as I'm finally showing some signs. 

I hope you're doing good today as well margi :)

[ma...]

Yes hold longer until you feel you can do it . Yes it can happen that we believe everything is withdrawel . I had read that many had teeth pain for example , i got that and let it be . Half a year later to a yearly check up at the dentist . The dentist found an infection and he had to do a root canal .

I think i remember you had got a puppy . I hope you 2 still have it as good as possible .❤️ We must just rest , drink water and a little walk . It will be allright !