Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

New Here

[Go...]

Hi Everyone,

I found this forum at 2:45 this morning while I couldn’t sleep. I’ve been on 2mg/day of klonopin for 5 years. I started my taper 2 months ago and am down to .75mg/day. 

I’m curious if anyone else started at 2mg/day and how long it took to get to 0? My doctor started me with what I feel is a very rapid taper, reducing every week for 9 weeks and then off but my body could not sustain that pace. 

Along with the insomnia, I recently started developing really vivid nightmares and have had a couple of sleep paralysis episodes with vivid hallucinations that are hard to decipher from reality. I’ve never experienced this prior to the withdrawal. Anyone else?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

• Like 1

[Pa...]

Hello @[Go...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Yep, that insomnia is rough, the world doesn't look too good at 2:45 a.m., does it?

You're right, your taper is very rapid so I'm not surprised you're feeling as you are, is there any chance your doctor will let you slow things down? 

We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every few weeks but what works best is using your symptoms to tell you when its time, this can hopefully keep you functional.

Once off the drug, there is a period of recovery that can last as long or longer than our taper, so rushing and suffering to get off the medication too quickly doesn't really do any good.  Letting your body recover its normal function as you taper seems to produce the best results.  Would your doctor be open to some literature to back up our claims?

Let us know how we can help you.

@[Pa...]

[Go...]

Hi @[Pa...], thanks for the quick response. Yes, the insomnia is terrible. I have been taking magnesium oxide before bed which seems to help me fall asleep but it doesn’t help me stay asleep. 

I would love to read any literature you can provide. This is the first support group I have found and have pretty much been going through this process completely alone, without any real guidance or encouragement and it’s been tough. When I expressed how hard of a time I was having to my doctor his response was that I may just “have to stay on the klonopin long term”. I’ve been feeling pretty helpless and hopeless, unsure if this is even possible. Any resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

[Pa...]
1 minute ago, [[G...] said:

When I expressed how hard of a time I was having to my doctor his response was that I may just “have to stay on the klonopin long term”.

Oh, how I hate reading this!  These medications were never meant for long term, the manufacturer suggests no more than 2-4 weeks but we've seen dependence happen in as little as 10 days.  The changes this drug makes to your brain takes time to undo, while tapering and then through recovery, its not just a matter of getting it out of your system.  And yes, some of us how a more difficult time getting off of it but that doesn't mean we're broken or we need to stay on it forever, it means its not a good fit for us and we need to find other ways to manage our reasons for taking it. Okay, rant over. :classic_biggrin:

Here are some links for you educate yourself since your doctor hasn't bothered.  I hope they'll listen to you when you say you need to stay functional as you taper from the drug.

Benzo-Deperscribing.pdf (corxconsortium.org)

Home - Benzodiazepine Information Coalition (benzoinfo.com)

Home - The Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices (benzoreform.org)

• Like 3

[La...]
26 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Oh, how I hate reading this!  These medications were never meant for long term, the manufacturer suggests no more than 2-4 weeks but we've seen dependence happen in as little as 10 days.  The changes this drug makes to your brain takes time to undo, while tapering and then through recovery, its not just a matter of getting it out of your system.  And yes, some of us how a more difficult time getting off of it but that doesn't mean we're broken or we need to stay on it forever, it means its not a good fit for us and we need to find other ways to manage our reasons for taking it. Okay, rant over. :classic_biggrin:

Here are some links for you educate yourself since your doctor hasn't bothered.  I hope they'll listen to you when you say you need to stay functional as you taper from the drug.

Benzo-Deperscribing.pdf (corxconsortium.org)

Home - Benzodiazepine Information Coalition (benzoinfo.com)

Home - The Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices (benzoreform.org)

This I hate to read too! This is so sickening of doctors to tell patients that. 
welcome to the forum and here’s a virtual hug, Golden Bee! 
:hug: Glad you found this forum! Best wishes . 

• Like 2

[vo...]

@[Go...] I third that! I hope you listen to the people here and not your doctor!  Read through some of the information on the BIC website and watch some of the videos they shared too. I have learned so much from this group as well as on the BIC website. The long term affects as well as what can happen to you as a result aren't worth staying on these pills! Apparently, your doctor doesn't know the effects they can have long term either. If the doctor was knowledgeable, they would have told you these medications are for short term use only.

https://www.benzoinfo.com/resources/#videos