Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Difficulty finding a doctor

I just signed up for these forums.   I have been following benzos.org.uk for many years for its informational value but now I have a problem in the good ol' USA and need advice on getting help in central California under Medicare rather than from the National Health Service in the United Kingdom.

My history is not complicated.   I was a severe alcoholic at the age of 35 and I stopped drinking with the help of AA, a very good psychotherapist, two years of therapy, and a prescription for Ativan to help me sleep.   I have had an anxiety disorder since the age of 5 or so resulting from abuse by my stepfather.  The details are not important.    I'm now 70, and while I have come to terms with my demons, I am still taking Ativan 35 years later.  I am keenly aware that abrupt cessation of a benzo habit is life threatening, even more so because I now have heart failure (LVEF = 32).  

I moved back to California after 5 years in Hawaii because I had a hard time finding good medical care for heart failure in Hawaii (Big Island).   But now I am finding that it is difficult to find a doctor in Central California who will prescribe Ativan.   For 35 years, my series of primary care physicians, maybe 10 or 12,  has just written prescriptions, no questions asked.   Apparently the DEA has a hand in changing doctor's attitudes.   Even though my addiction was created by doctors, they now say it is not their problem or concern (even though addiction and withdrawal are definitely medical problems.)  

I am willing to slowly taper down as far as I can go.   I am now elderly, and I know the science on benzos and (1) benzo use causes falls that break hips and (2) benzo use contributes to dementia.    Perhaps for the first time, I acknowledge that my best interests would be served by reducing or ending my dependence.   I actually consulted the famous Dr. Frawley, addiction Dr. to Dave Crosby and founder of Recovery Road, ten years ago,  and his opinion then was that if my addiction was not impairing my enjoyment of life, the difficulty of quitting was not worth the effort.   But I was not elderly at that point, so I think that advice no longer applies.  I took care for 18 months of a former friend who became demented (for whatever reason) and it is not what I want to experience.  

My question is straightforward.   What kind of doctor should I be looking for who will prescribe benzos so I do not seize and die, but who will manage a slow taper protocol?   What is the best way to find such a doctor?  If anyone has the name of a Dr. they can recommend to manage a benzo taper anywhere between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo (100 miles of California coastal areas and inland up to 50 miles), I would be much obliged.   I am very stressed at the prospect of running out and going into a hell-scaped abrupt withdrawal.   It shocks me that four doctors have already essentially told me to get the f** out of their office without offering the slightest assistance in finding a willing physician.  So I turn to you.  

If I have posted in the wrong section of these forums, please forgive me for being new and in a hurry.   Your assistance is of great importance to me. 

• Like 1

Hi, @[...], and welcome to BenzoBuddies! 

It's just outrageous what you have come across tring to find doctor's help in dealing with benzo cessation. So really really sorry. Unfortunately such an experience is pretty common regardless what part of the world you live but i know there are benzo wise doctors willing to help, not many and yet. I can't provide you with information you seek. I never been to the USA but hope you'll get most needed advice by others here. Good luck to you!)

• Like 1