Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Pots and/or ist?

[vi...]

Has anyone had to take a med to keep their hr lower while tapering? I specifically have been prescribed Corlanor (ivabradine). 

ive done a full cardiac workup and that is what my cardiologist prescribed as i do not handle beta blockers well (i was put on one before i was put on ativan). i honestly think my symptoms have all along been related to my potassium dropping. i got it back up but then my dr at the time put me on ativan. i feel like the pots like symptoms got worse with the ativan because at first i was still mostly functioning now i am pretty much in bed all day because even the smallest movement spikes my heart rate & bp. i was on 2mg and have gotten down to 1.25 (holding until i stabilize after having a cold). just wondering if anyone has dealt with symptoms like this and needed a hr med while tapering.

was on the ativan at 2mg for 5 weeks total before i started tapering

[vi...]
Posted (edited)

also i have made several diet changes: low carb, low sugar & no red meat with increased fluid intake 

Edited by [vi...]

[vi...]

also having a hard time with tapering. not sure if its the ist making it worse or what 

[Cr...]

Per Mayo clinic:

More common · Blurred vision · chest pain or discomfort · fast or irregular heartbeat · headache · lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting 

I find it strange that a med to lower that heart rate lists 'fast heartbeat' as a common side effect.

A few possibilities here. The med is working but the HR issues are withdrawal related or the med is not working as intended and these are side effects.

Many members choose to use meds for heart rate issues while in withdrawal, but usually beta blockers. What kind of reaction do they give you? 

I think clonidine might be another option your doctor may suggest.

[vi...]

@[Cr...] i havent even started the med yet, the idea is that the med is supposed to lower the heart rate & the heart rate being lowered will help with the rest of the symptoms (my symptoms have been consistent even before starting the ativan they jus got worse on the ativan)

the only beta blocker i tried was metoprolol. that was early may before even getting put on ativan due to my last dr thinking my symptoms were anxiety i didnt see a cardiologist until the end of may & had to do a whole 6 week study. 

side effects to metoprolol: super high bp, dizziness, worse heart palpitations, chest soreness & blurry vision 

[Cr...]
1 hour ago, [[v...] said:

@[Cr...] i havent even started the med yet, the idea is that the med is supposed to lower the heart rate & the heart rate being lowered will help with the rest of the symptoms (my symptoms have been consistent even before starting the ativan they jus got worse on the ativan)

the only beta blocker i tried was metoprolol. that was early may before even getting put on ativan due to my last dr thinking my symptoms were anxiety i didnt see a cardiologist until the end of may & had to do a whole 6 week study. 

side effects to metoprolol: super high bp, dizziness, worse heart palpitations, chest soreness & blurry vision 

Oh I see. I misread your post and thought you had already started the med and were still having the same issues but starting to feel worse.

But yes, many members have started meds like yours to help control their heart rate during withdrawal. My sister got through Ativan withdrawal while using beta blockers and she has a heart condition called Long QT. She is doing fine now. I know your med it is not a beta blocker but I hope this helps.

• Like 1

[vi...]

@[Cr...] yes this helps alot thank u! i was worried about it since the benzo & the med can both reduce the heart rate ofc my cardiologist already knows i am tapering but ive had enough of just taking doctors word for it

[Cr...]

Here is a thread made 5 years ago about pots.

This post in particular may help assure you:

Couldn't take beta blockers because of asthma so I was given Ivabradine, off label. It is a "funny channel" blocker, that is it inhibits the pacemaker or sinus node current and helps control heart rate. It worked for me, well it helped anyway, after a few months I also tapered off that over a month or two and still had an occasional episode but eventually it all subsided.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
[Tr...]

Hello @[vi...], I am very sorry that you feel like this. I have a similar problem of sporadic episodes of heart palpitations and elevated heart rate after reducing my Clonazepam dose from 0.5 to 0.375 mg within 2 weeks. 

May I ask how you feel now? Is the Corlanor keeping your HR under control? Do you have any side effects from it?

Thanks in advance for your reply! I hope that you feel better!

Edited by [Tr...]
  • Like 1

[vi...]

@[Tr...] the corlanor has 100% helped with keeping my heart rate in the 70s-80s (it was 90s-100s before starting). the only side effect i got from it was the first 2 weeks it made me sleepy and i felt like i was short of breath slightly but i stuck with it and no longer have those symptoms. i am now only taking 2.5 mg a day because it was working a little too well and i didnt like the way i felt with my heart rate in the 60s

• Like 1

[Tr...]

Hello @[vi...],  thank you so much for sharing your experience! Good luck with your taper! ❤️🌺❤️🌺❤️

• Like 1