Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Strange after driving car

[Go...]

I’m hoping someone on here can shed some light into why I was feeling this way.  I drove around the town this afternoon, first time driving in 18 months.  I was worried about the driving, but I feel I did well.  When I was finished, I got a terrible feeling of fear and panic.  Any ideas why it would happen AFTER driving? - Gonzo

[Sc...]
59 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

I’m hoping someone on here can shed some light into why I was feeling this way.  I drove around the town this afternoon, first time driving in 18 months.  I was worried about the driving, but I feel I did well.  When I was finished, I got a terrible feeling of fear and panic.  Any ideas why it would happen AFTER driving? - Gonzo

Hello. I can't tell you exactly what could be going on but anxiety and panic may occur even when you finished and action that generated you anxiety and even get worse.

I remember to read in a paper about OCD that there was one guy that, every time he drive he was afraid of running over somebody. Always when he got out of the vehicle and, despite knowing he didn't do it, he couldn't help but to feel terrible anxious cause the intrusive thought of him running over somebody were to strong.

You recall, apart from the physical symptoms, to have any specifics thoughts during driving? Like, if there were a conscious idea that make you feel uneasy.  Maybe taking the car after 18 month make you feel more worried than usual. Also, when you are concentrated doing something, like driving, it's possible that you arent fully aware of the level of anxiety you were indeed having, and when you finished the activity, your mind could focus on your current state, Which make you aware of how anxious you really were and increased the feeling.

Hope I can bring some help. Send you my best wishes.

• Like 1

[kn...]

While I’m actively concentrating on driving my car, my anxiety fades quickly. I’m prone to focus and be vigilant in the moment. As soon as I drive into the driveway at home, I do get out and check the car over. Often, just to make sure, I’ll go back out and drive the same route just to ascertain that I didn’t hit anyone or anything. I’ve even driven back home after setting out on the freeway to make sure the hose is turned off. OCD is still horrible after all these years. Been on meds and therapy all my life. 

• Like 2

[PE...]

The reaction after being really concentrated to something you haven't done in 18 months?

• 4 weeks later...
[Go...]
On 09/07/2024 at 14:39, [[P...] said:

The reaction after being really concentrated to something you haven't done in 18 months?

@[PE...] yes, this is what I’m talking about. It happened again today.  The reaction to the “action” of driving after it’s over????  Just because I haven’t done it, why is it provoking such fear afterwards? 

[Le...]

you dont react when focused on doing it. you are focused on something else. you have time after to though. :)

[Id...]

For me it was because I a sun and heat sensitive even when temperatures are low… I took a lot to understand this. Car is a big lens and metal under sun