Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Taken a chance, upping my Taper to 5%

[Ct...]
27 minutes ago, [[o...] said:

I hope there are some that are still "following" this thread as I didn't want to make another so the "history" of my latest tapers are all here on the thread. I think :idiot:

I need input on a wd sxs I'm having, just since the 5% tapers.  I have plenty of others, but this one is really hurting, and I need some feedback from others that have the issue, or had it. 

I have what feels like cramping, and needing to go to the bathroom, but then I can't most times.  I'm still able to go once a day, thank God, but the cramping, which comes almost always after a meal, but sometimes 3-4 hours after dinner, when I go to bed and lie down.  I then have to get up, go sit on the throne, and hope for the best.

I'll drink some ACV which usually helped me with anything at all like this, for the last several years, but the cramping comes back again in the a.m. before I even eat anything.

I think this must be wd sxs, but am ready to purchase something that might be safe for me while I am tapering. I don't want to try going back to 3% as I really don't feel that would help with this.

Any feedback welcome, oregonlady :-\ PS Something that helped you personally with this issue would be most welcome.

@[or...] You might get more responses if you post an individual thread on stomach cramping (with the details you provided here). Hope you find some relief soon. 

• Like 1

[Le...]

i had a more extreme version of what you describe. wd very likely

• Like 1

[Ma...]

@[or...] Sorty to hear this.  GI symptoms can definitely begin to hit, some harder than others.  First piece of advice though - don’t just assume it’s the benzos.  If you’re having any other symptoms, probably best not to assume it is.  It could also be IBS or a food intolerance among other things.  If you’re having any red flag symptoms: fatigue, weight loss, blood in stool, persistent pain, etc, best to go get checked out.  
   I have had some GI symptoms since tapering off which were similar: awful cramps, bloating, and pain. I now take a fiber supplement every day and try to eat at regular times and not huge meals.  Eventually it just went away on its own both times, but it took a couple weeks.  If it goes on longer than that, go get checked out.  

• Like 2

[Ct...]
7 minutes ago, [[o...] said:

Ok, but then I'll have 2 of the same post??

Looks like you don’t need a separate post. @[Ma...] is a doctor, and his response is all I would need. 

• Love 1

[or...]
51 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

@[or...] Sorty to hear this.  GI symptoms can definitely begin to hit, some harder than others.  First piece of advice though - don’t just assume it’s the benzos.  If you’re having any other symptoms, probably best not to assume it is.  It could also be IBS or a food intolerance among other things.  If you’re having any red flag symptoms: fatigue, weight loss, blood in stool, persistent pain, etc, best to go get checked out.  
   I have had some GI symptoms since tapering off which were similar: awful cramps, bloating, and pain. I now take a fiber supplement every day and try to eat at regular times and not huge meals.  Eventually it just went away on its own both times, but it took a couple weeks.  If it goes on longer than that, go get checked out.  

What sort of fiber as I read about adding fiber to my keto/carnivore diet, I'm just not totally carnivore, and won't be I do not believe.  I get a lot of protein, but, I am about 99% sure it is not my foods because this has been my diet for 4 years. 

Since it's not too bad for me to handle, I'd like to try some fiber, but a safe type I think.  What do you use, or used?

Thanks as always on your help, oregonlady :smitten:

[Ma...]

I just take a sooonful of Metamucil and mix it with a glass of water.  I drink this every day around lunch.  It definitely keeps things moving.  Some people need to adjust to it because it can cause gas, so maybe try starting with a smaller amount like a teaspoon and see how you do. 

• Like 1

[Tr...]

Hello @[or...], it is so encouraging to read that you are tapering so smoothly! May I ask if you are taking other medications during your taper, for example a beta blocker, AD, etc., which might be helping to taper smoothly? 

Edited by [Tr...]
  • Like 1

[or...]
Posted (edited)

Hi @[Ma...] and thank you for the recommend, and hello @[Tr...] :)  To answer your question, no, I don't take any other meds except the one I taper, clonazepam.  So far, all I've added is very low carb meals, and my depression has gone away which I suffered since childhood.  I was never put on meds, luckily when I was very young, and I was offered prescriptions many times but couldn't take them.  I would feel so weird I couldn't stand them when I became an adult, and gave up even trying.

Most of my depression I now believe, was from the benzo as I was in Tolerance Withdrawal for many years.

Welcome to BB, and you can be sure you will find support here, it's been a total lifeline for me and I would never have known how to taper, or enough about "why" the horrendous wd sxs and how best to manage them, oregonlady :hug:

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 1

[Le...]
On 26/07/2024 at 12:14, [[o...] said:

What sort of fiber as I read about adding fiber to my keto/carnivore diet, I'm just not totally carnivore, and won't be I do not believe.  I get a lot of protein, but, I am about 99% sure it is not my foods because this has been my diet for 4 years. 

Since it's not too bad for me to handle, I'd like to try some fiber, but a safe type I think.  What do you use, or used?

Thanks as always on your help, oregonlady :smitten:

get pure psyllium husk and mix a spoonful very quickly with any liquid and chug it before it congeals. 

On 26/07/2024 at 11:19, [[M...] said:

Also if WDing from benzos almost always assume its the benzos. If you dont you will likely be at the doc office getting misdiagnosed every week. There are limits for sure. Blood yea. bleeding from inside is no less urgent than bleeding from the outside. get it checked out.  But food intolerances or things likely to be diagnosed as IBS are part of this mess for just about everyone and are often long lasting.  If you arent careful you could end up treating every symptoms and getting more ill  

• Like 1

[or...]
2 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

get pure psyllium husk and mix a spoonful very quickly with any liquid and chug it before it congeals. 

Also if WDing from benzos almost always assume its the benzos. If you dont you will likely be at the doc office getting misdiagnosed every week. There are limits for sure. Blood yea. bleeding from inside is no less urgent than bleeding from the outside. get it checked out.  But food intolerances or things likely to be diagnosed as IBS are part of this mess for just about everyone and are often long lasting.  If you arent careful you could end up treating every symptoms and getting more ill  

I agree and that's been my "rule" to actually believe it is all wd sxs.  This sx really bothered me though with the cramping, but I'll get something today for it.  I had luck with the ACV stopping the cramping last night but it isn't long-lasting and I need to make sure I "go".  I've heard 2 horror stories about constipation and having to have a doctor get it out.  It's just too scarey, so I had to ask here on BB :-[

Like I mentioned somewhere above, this only became a problem after my last, two tapers which were at 5% instead of 3%, or earlier tapers that were much smaller ;)  oregonlady

[Tr...]

@[or...] Thank you so much for replying so swiftly and the words of encouragement! Let our tapers be smooth and easy!

• Like 1

[Le...]

glycerin if it goes on a long while. wont be fun but is otc. also ditching carnivore. high natural source fiber diet. 90% veg if possible. think that is basis of the natural diet for people that will serve you best in the long run. 

• Like 2

[or...]

Smoother is definitely what I'm looking for now :2funny:  Sorry, couldn't resist that one ;)  As my latest wd sx has been a real problem, the one I talked about in the last few parts of the thread ;) oregonlady

[or...]
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

glycerin if it goes on a long while. wont be fun but is otc. also ditching carnivore. high natural source fiber diet. 90% veg if possible. think that is basis of the natural diet for people that will serve you best in the long run. 

I lowered my A1c's back to normal by dropping high carbs about 4 years ago, so I can get away with eating some leafy greens and will get some to add into my diet.  I am a diabetic, and found there are a lot of carbs in some vegies so I can't go over-board.  This is wd sxs though as my diet hadn't changed at all, I do proteins, and dairy, a bit of nuts, seeds and blueberries. PS almost forgot, I do some fiber included in Flaxseed, Chia Seeds, and Nooch (nutritional yeast).

but again, I do know this is a new wd sx ;)

Edited by [or...]

[Le...]
9 minutes ago, [[o...] said:

I lowered my A1c's back to normal by dropping high carbs about 4 years ago, so I can get away with eating some leafy greens and will get some to add into my diet.  I am a diabetic, and found there are a lot of carbs in some vegies so I can't go over-board.  This is wd sxs though as my diet hadn't changed at all, I do proteins, and dairy, a bit of nuts, seeds and blueberries. PS almost forgot, I do some fiber included in Flaxseed, Chia Seeds, and Nooch (nutritional yeast).

but again, I do know this is a new wd sx ;)

sounds pretty good. i dont know a ton about diabetes but assumed the diet would just need to avoid starchy vegetables. Complicates things that. 

• Like 1

[or...]
Just now, [[L...] said:

sounds pretty good. i dont know a ton about diabetes but assumed the diet would just need to avoid starchy vegetables. Complicates things that. 

That's the general consensus, and what I've done is do my "home-tests" when I eat certain things.  As long as I stay in the safe range I'm good.  I can pretty much tell what my HbA1c will be, and I only get one of those tests a year.

I really expect to get through this and don't think the nutrition I eat has had anything to do with the digestive issue.  But time will tell, and in the meantime, it won't hurt me to add back the leafy greens I really like ;)  Actually, I've read quite a bit about otc's like Metamucil, and even the psyllium and wasn't too impressed but I think trying a little of either might bring some relief ;)

[Le...]

um. psyllium husk is metamusil without additives. i recommend because of that. who knows what will cause irritation for us atm. artificial colors in metamusil alone would make me avoid it. 

It helps me when experiencing things being let say too fast or too slow. I dont think it will sort out the current issue but may prevent future problems. 

[or...]

yes, I remember reading that, and some flavorings/sweetners I have to be careful with, especially sugar.  I'm really opening my mind here and staying away from the forum that helped me learn to "lower" my carbs but imo, they are too "one size fits all" and I don't believe it's really fit me as well as if I changed a few things. 

I just put spinach back on my grocery list, and I do love salads which I've missed a lot, so I'll add a few more things I can get away with eating, that don't raise my blood sugar/glucose tests ;)  I'm glad I talked about it here because I have been helped a lot by my keto/carnivore forum.  I lost weight I needed to lose, and like I said, lowered my bg into safe ranges.  But now I believe I went a bit too far, not just with the issue here in the thread.

I do realize wd sxs are my main issue, and my other forum basically knows nothing about what we know here, thanks to BB :)  I think I'd feel better eating more and part of that was just laziness :( oregonlady

[Ma...]
2 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Also if WDing from benzos almost always assume it’s the benzos. If you dont you will likely be at the doc office getting misdiagnosed every week. There are limits for sure. Blood yea. bleeding from inside is no less urgent than bleeding from the outside. get it checked out.  But food intolerances or things likely to be diagnosed as IBS are part of this mess for just about everyone and are often long lasting.  If you arent careful you could end up treating every symptoms and getting more ill  

As I said, red flag symptoms.  But even without red flag symptoms, just because we are coming off Benzos doesn’t mean other health issues don’t happen. And even if they are benzo related it doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be investigated. Other serious health issues can and do happen, especially those of us like myself who are getting older. I think it’s extremely dangerous to assume something is benzo related.  Get checked out if it persists. 

[Tr...]

I am taking a multivitamine with probiotics against constipation, as I have Parkinson’s disease and it is one of the most common symptoms. The probiotics help great. I always eat brown or multigrain bread, which also help. Here in Europe we have yoghurt with Bifidus probiotics, which is also very effective against constipation. Dried plums or fresh pears can help, too.