Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Taken a chance, upping my Taper to 5%

[or...]

Today is day 5 of my latest taper and of course I am hoping for the best.  So far I don't feel differently at all, no unusual sxs, or more intense so we'll see.  Last taper was the 3% I'd been doing and I only held for 7 days as I really didn't feel differently on that one.  I don't want any sxs creeping up on me though, so I will hold for probably longer than 7 days since this was a larger cut.

I did notice I had a couple of weird dreams, which they aren't too bad since I'm always younger in them :2funny: and there's always some hunk in the picture, LOL!  Ok, so nothing elaborate just feels like I have someone interested in me.  I think it's so hard getting older when I so enjoyed my youth, although I was sort of like a very, small but deadly tornado leaving a trail of broken hearts.  OMG, I am so full of it this a.m ;)

I hope I can encourage others to take their time on a taper, it's been so worth it for me.  I used the crap for 35 years, I'm 71 years old, and I seem to have one of easiest tapers comparatively speaking.  I'm no genius, don't use any other drugs to "get me through" but I eat good and keep my body moving.  But I never forget there are some that simply can't do what I do, but I encourage everyone who reads this to try, and never give up on doing what you believe is the healthiest way to get through your wd sxs, whatever they are.  Most of all, believe in your bodies ability to heal itself, and if you're into prayer, don't hesitate to do that ;) even if it's just "God please help me", that works for me a lot when I get the sxs I do have ;) big hugs to all, oregonlady ~ Denise :hug::smitten:

• Like 1
  • Love 5

[Ad...]

Wow, 5%, that's wonderful! Glad it's working out for you. I'm trying something different, just going down about 1% and holding 7 days. I think it's great to be able to dream again, especially the kind you're having! I think it indicates REM sleep, which the benzo pretty much eliminates.

• Like 3

[Ma...]

Sounds like a good plan to me.  I don’t know about you but the cuts generally hit me within 10-14 days if they’re gonna hit me.  If I don’t feel differently after 10 days I try to cut again but sometimes I think they catch up cumulatively if I do too many in a row and I end up holding for a bit like I am now.  Making my next cut Thursday if I’m feeling ok.  🤞

• Like 3

[Le...]
4 hours ago, [[o...] said:

Today is day 5 of my latest taper and of course I am hoping for the best.  So far I don't feel differently at all, no unusual sxs, or more intense so we'll see.  Last taper was the 3% I'd been doing and I only held for 7 days as I really didn't feel differently on that one.  I don't want any sxs creeping up on me though, so I will hold for probably longer than 7 days since this was a larger cut.

I did notice I had a couple of weird dreams, which they aren't too bad since I'm always younger in them :2funny: and there's always some hunk in the picture, LOL!  Ok, so nothing elaborate just feels like I have someone interested in me.  I think it's so hard getting older when I so enjoyed my youth, although I was sort of like a very, small but deadly tornado leaving a trail of broken hearts.  OMG, I am so full of it this a.m ;)

I hope I can encourage others to take their time on a taper, it's been so worth it for me.  I used the crap for 35 years, I'm 71 years old, and I seem to have one of easiest tapers comparatively speaking.  I'm no genius, don't use any other drugs to "get me through" but I eat good and keep my body moving.  But I never forget there are some that simply can't do what I do, but I encourage everyone who reads this to try, and never give up on doing what you believe is the healthiest way to get through your wd sxs, whatever they are.  Most of all, believe in your bodies ability to heal itself, and if you're into prayer, don't hesitate to do that ;) even if it's just "God please help me", that works for me a lot when I get the sxs I do have ;) big hugs to all, oregonlady ~ Denise :hug::smitten:

glad you are succeeding. will be here for you if things get tough. not that I can do much from here besides encourage you. 

Go oregonlady!!

dont suppose I can interest you in rationalism?  meh. I know the answer. :)

• Like 1

[En...]
4 hours ago, [[o...] said:

I have weird vivid dreams as a side effect as well. Mine is I am at work but not at my work place a different one. Weird real feeling dreams. 

Go for the 5% increase I dont think it will bother you. It is good to get off this drug as soon as you can. I went faster with acceptance I will have side effects just to get off this drug. I jumped off a week and day ago. 

I wish you luck and acceptance of whatever is to come. You have the right mindset and will succeed. 

• Like 1

[Le...]
Posted (edited)

you seem to be doing well @[En...]  

I am glad. Getting out to the park?

Edited by [Le...]
  • Like 2

[En...]
1 minute ago, [[L...] said:

I am walking my neighborhood daily for one hour. I feel it is an essential part of the healing process. I always feel so much better after a walk. It has been more difficult with our hotter weather but I go early in the mornings. 

• Like 1

[or...]

I'll be back to reply, I hit the last of my unpacking, or stuff I can just put in my new personal storage area off my balcony :)  I'm so tired, I need to lie down for a bit.  I was so surprised to see all the replies as I wasn't getting them in my email.  But then I did get Lee's :) love and hugs to all of you, bbl, Denise

[En...]
8 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

I will also be submitting a note to college of physicians soon. I will not be looking for compensation but I want awareness of the effects of this drug. 

[Le...]
27 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

I will also be submitting a note to college of physicians soon. I will not be looking for compensation but I want awareness of the effects of this drug. 

mine is going ok. I should have a second response soon. the dude saying he has never successfully had someone WD from K doesnt seem like a good excuse to CT me and ignore my requests for appts when sick. will put the other docs that tried to not discuss it with me in a tight spot that I am going to address with them myself after. Just refusing to speak when I brought it up isnt cool. Should tell me what was happening not try to protect a colleague. 

Just so you know if you were first prescribed them less than about 5 years ago or something then the doc had been updated about the new strict rules here and broke them.  

On a brighter note I see oregonlady is settling in and persevering just like you. Dont dwell on the “revenge” like stuff and just get better. You can whoop them after you join my kickboxing class. I will send yer doc a free membership to try to get him showing up. 

• Like 1

[En...]
1 minute ago, [[L...] said:

mine is going ok. I should have a second response soon. the dude saying he has never successfully had someone WD from K doesnt seem like a good excuse to CT me and ignore my requests for appts when sick. will put the other docs that tried to not discuss it with me in a tight spot that I am going to address with them myself after. Just refusing to speak when I brought it up isnt cool. Should tell me what was happening not try to protect a colleague. 

Just so you know if you were first prescribed them less than about 5 years ago or something then the doc had been updated about the new strict rules here and broke them.  

On a brighter note I see oregonlady is settling in and persevering just like you. Dont dwell on the “revenge” like stuff and just get better. You can whoop them after you join my kickboxing class. I will send yer doc a free membership to try to get him showing up. 

I am going to heal more first before I do this. I have done this before with a very bad experience I had with a procedure 20 years ago. Didnt turn out so great for me in the end nothing happened to the monkeys ass Dr. I will try this again and approach this topic differently. I will get awareness out at least. 

[En...]
5 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

I also had a Dr appointment yesterday and told my Dt I should have only been on this drug for no more than a week. His response was there is nothing else to prescribe for emergencies. I told him I would have liked to had informed consent before I had to go through this. I told him it has ruined my life short term. He is quiet around me now because I am informed and he knows it. 

[Le...]
17 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

I also had a Dr appointment yesterday and told my Dt I should have only been on this drug for no more than a week. His response was there is nothing else to prescribe for emergencies. I told him I would have liked to had informed consent before I had to go through this. I told him it has ruined my life short term. He is quiet around me now because I am informed and he knows it. 

yea my last doc is off the list on the seasons medical doc list. not sure if just gone somewhere else or my complaints did something. 

[En...]
29 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

yea my last doc is off the list on the seasons medical doc list. not sure if just gone somewhere else or my complaints did something. 

I am right behind you and I am not shy to voice my opinion. 

[or...]
5 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Wow, 5%, that's wonderful! Glad it's working out for you. I'm trying something different, just going down about 1% and holding 7 days. I think it's great to be able to dream again, especially the kind you're having! I think it indicates REM sleep, which the benzo pretty much eliminates.

So far I feel fine but we both know how it can hit later, so I'll be vigilant and slow'er back down if need be.  I'm surprised I haven't melted down in this hot Summer in my old home-area.  But so far so good ;) I am sleeping good, amazingly even after having an hour to hour and a half nap during the day.  Today is the most energy I've had since well before I moved here on the 20th, OL ~ Denise

[or...]
4 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Sounds like a good plan to me.  I don’t know about you but the cuts generally hit me within 10-14 days if they’re gonna hit me.  If I don’t feel differently after 10 days I try to cut again but sometimes I think they catch up cumulatively if I do too many in a row and I end up holding for a bit like I am now.  Making my next cut Thursday if I’m feeling ok.  🤞

Hello Matt, yes, I've had the sxs start at different times, but usually nothing different until after 5 days.  @[Ad...] helped me when she said that since she didn't feel any better after a longer hold, she was going to taper anyway.  It made sense to me mainly because I don't expect all my sxs to be better every time I taper.  But I just gauge whether or not I can still function "adequately". 

I do feel confident I can manage it in other words.  Sometimes I get the waves though, and I want to change the taper, but so far I haven't truly felt I had to.  I just hope for the best, and I do for you as well :hug:

2 hours ago, [[L...] said:

glad you are succeeding. will be here for you if things get tough. not that I can do much from here besides encourage you. 

Go oregonlady!!

dont suppose I can interest you in rationalism?  meh. I know the answer. :)

That's nice to hear Lee :)  Rationalism?  I don't think there is much rational about the effect of benzos if that's what you mean :heybabe:  And me being rational, nah, lol :)

2 hours ago, [[E...] said:

I have weird vivid dreams as a side effect as well. Mine is I am at work but not at my work place a different one. Weird real feeling dreams. 

Go for the 5% increase I dont think it will bother you. It is good to get off this drug as soon as you can. I went faster with acceptance I will have side effects just to get off this drug. I jumped off a week and day ago. 

I wish you luck and acceptance of whatever is to come. You have the right mindset and will succeed. 

I wish you the very best as well.  I did worry I was just being too timid, and the truth is, some of the sxs I've had have scared me, but when I live through them I feel stronger than I knew I could be ;)

• Like 2

[Le...]
Posted (edited)

Nah was poking at the god talk :).  I come from a family full of priests and stuff.  Been teasing them since I was 5. Hope this is coming through playful and not mean. Thats the intent. 

Edited by [Le...]
  • Like 1

[pe...]

It is encouraging to know that you have been on your meds for over 30 years and you have the courage  to have a positive outlook on your tapering journey. I myslef was on Klonopin for  over 30 years and I just started my taper a few days ago. It's good to know that we are not alone ..Sending you strength and healing..

• Like 3

[Fa...]

Hi @[or...],

I attempt what I call 'experiments' once in a while, too, with my reductions.  I know going in that it may work and it may not...and, I prepare myself for the best while being ready for the 'not-so-best'.

Remember the half-life of Clonazepam.  It was discussed in one of your other posts.  It can take up to 11 days for the blood levels to adjust to the new dosage.  Thing is, we don't know where we fall in terms of our metabolism.  So, assuming the outside timeframe is the safest.  If you do find that you experience an increase in symptoms with this most recent cut, keep that in mind.  It may not be that the 5% was too much.  It may be that your body is playing catch-up to the previous 3% cut.  So, don't lose heart if you find this cut difficult.  And, don't lose faith in attempting 5% cuts.  

I wish you the best in this reduction.  We won't know if we don't try, right?

Warmly,

F

• Like 2

[or...]

"Don't be scared, be prepared" a quote from a Storm Chaser I watch occasionally.

The half-life for me on the C tablet is long, so I have to be careful to take my dose on time, which I fail many mornings as I just don't have horrible sxs that remind me.  I don't want to find out how long "exactly" because I remember what it was like when I was tapered too fast by my Md, or when I tapered too low when I first got to bb.

The two main sxs I recognize first are the shakey feeling, and ravenous hunger that doesn't go away after I eat.

[pe...]

I agree steady and gradual wins the race and it's so important to listen to our body. I rather be safer than sorry and  do a 2.5% -5% cuts ..Each day is closer to the finish line and accepting that the symptoms will take TIME to heal. .I keep on repeating in my head.. I WILL HEAL..I WILL HEAL..  Wishing myself and everyone here positivity and healing..

[Fa...]

@[or...]  That is the first thing I notice, too.  I get internal shaking/vibrating.  The ravenous hunger I get, too.  I never put that together.

• Like 1

[or...]
Posted (edited)

I used to think it was just carb-wd sxs, but after quitting carbs, I still got it if I didn't take my magic little pill. Funny how I never feared (til it as too late) a prescription.  Hard lesson hey but better learned late than never ;)

PS I never thought about it but yes, it was internal shaking.  I've had that a time or two during my taper, but didn't think about it being different than my Essential Tremor (their name for it anyway, Doctors).  But it's a sicky feeling, along with hunger.  Never understood that til your last message, thank you much :) Oregonlady ~ Denise

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 1

[Fa...]

No two cuts are the same for me.  Remember that commercial in the 70's for Bits & Bites?  It's tag line was 'each handful is a whole new ball game'.  That describes my cut experiences.  Each cut shows up completely different.  However, the internal vibration/shaking is one common thing each time.  What day it shows up, who knows?  There are days I can forget to take my dose...others days I'm itching to take it.  No pattern.

Yes...the hunger is not 'appetite' hunger for me because I never have an actual appetite.  But, hunger pains with that feeling like if I don't get food in there I'll feel nauseous/anxious kind of feeling is what I get.  Again...no set days, but it happens which eat cut at some point.  

• Like 1

[or...]

Finally had some insomnia + race-brain again but that isn't all bad since I took up my astronomy hobby again.  I love star-gazing but was sleeping so good I didn't want to stay up until it was dark, and was waking up once a night, but falling right back to sleep.  A big factor in my decision to move what to have a balcony so I could use my 'scopes on starry nights, so since I can't seem to stay up until it's dark enough skies, I needed to get up early.  It starts getting light about 5:30, 6 a.m. here.

This a.m. I was actually wanting to get up at about quarter til 3 a.m. so I did!  Feel a little ding-dong, with just 4 or 5 hours sleep since I was up til almost 10.  I'm retired so I can take naps though, and in the high heats we're having, I get all my errands like grocery shopping, done early a.m. before it gets to hot. 109 was the highest, and every day reaching at least 100 degrees.  I stay in most of the day and it doesn't cool off enough for me until beyond my bedtime.

This isn't the town I was born in, and it is not humid here like my home-town was.  I did live in this area when I was in 4th and 5th grade, love it here :)

Anyway, I hope the insomnia doesn't get too bad from this last "higher" cut I did, but this a.m. I need to go get a few more groceries to be prepared for continuing heat-wave, and also in case I just have to struggle through more wd sxs.  This is day 7 of my latest taper so we'll see how it all goes ;)