Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Has this been anhedonia?

[Bi...]

I have realised - after reading posts about it for the last few years and finally understanding what it is - that maybe I have been going through anhedonia, just didn't know the term for it.

Particularly at the beginning, I didn't have any positive emotions at all and I completely lost all  feelings of love and things. Which in itself was heartbreaking - I know I love my partner and others in my life, I want to feel it again! I am 28months in, I'm fed up of it!

Then since January this year during a few windows I've had the low feelings lift and a few days feeling absolutely amazing and having all the positive emotions flooding back, rather than just chuckling along and trying to be positive outwardly around others like I am doing any other time. 

But still never felt all my emotions at once - always missing a few and feeling flat in other ways, such dark thoughts coming back in a lot and only felt love twice since the start in moments that really hit home with my partner. 

Is this anhedonia despite a few moments during windows?

[jo...]

Yeah thats it. I just describe it as depression. Seems like the same thing pretty much.

[Go...]

Anhedonia is basically losing the ability to enjoy the things that you once did. A lot of time it exhibits itself in our hobbies/interests or even food. Our favorite activity is no longer fun, our favorite foods don’t taste the same. Basically nothing brings pleasure. I can imagine that this could also express itself in relationships and our emotional responses to other people. I have experienced this often throughout my life and for me, in those times, I just don’t want to do anything or go anywhere because nothing brings any enjoyment, so what’s the point? I do not experience that as a withdrawal side effect, though. 

[Kr...]
On 09/07/2024 at 03:08, [[B...] said:

I have realised - after reading posts about it for the last few years and finally understanding what it is - that maybe I have been going through anhedonia, just didn't know the term for it.

Particularly at the beginning, I didn't have any positive emotions at all and I completely lost all  feelings of love and things. Which in itself was heartbreaking - I know I love my partner and others in my life, I want to feel it again! I am 28months in, I'm fed up of it!

Then since January this year during a few windows I've had the low feelings lift and a few days feeling absolutely amazing and having all the positive emotions flooding back, rather than just chuckling along and trying to be positive outwardly around others like I am doing any other time. 

But still never felt all my emotions at once - always missing a few and feeling flat in other ways, such dark thoughts coming back in a lot and only felt love twice since the start in moments that really hit home with my partner. 

Is this anhedonia despite a few moments during windows?

Yes. 
It affects sex life too as you probably know.