Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How to get prescription abroad

[El...]

Hello. I'm confronted with huge health bills because I have no home in my home country and have been trying to make my life in Portugal for the past 6 months. The issue is that I cannot access their medical system like a national would and I struggle to understand how to get some type of insurance that would mean I am free to get a doctor's appointment that won't cost me 80 euros per appointment every month or so. If anyone knows how I can solve this problem, I would be so grateful, it's been making a huge dent in my savings and I struggle to earn because of withdrawal. 

Basically my question is : since I cannot yet access national Portuguese healthcare system, and therefore need private appointments, can someone who's got knowledge about traveling and getting their prescription filled during that time give me some information? I know that travel insurance doesn't cover pre existing conditions usually which is really not good, I don't know the first thing about getting health insurance, I don't know if there are tips I could be given. I'm really desperate because I can't go back to my country, want to build a life where I am but am stuck with this and the fact it's gonna take a long while for me to get off the diazepam.

Thanks for anyone who's got knowledge, thanks if you can ask someone you know who's done this before. I so appreciate any help, I'm so tired...... 

❤️

[Ar...]

As far as I understand the Portuguese healthcare system requires that you either need a temporary or permanent residents permit in order to be covered.

If that is not the case all I can think of is an international health insurance such as Bupa, Allianz etc until you can obtain residency (which from your post I take you dont have).

With such an insurance one would have monthly costs though. Might not be a bad idea should one, one day require more medical care than "just" a prescription.

[El...]

Hello @[Ar...] thanks so much for your answers.

I don't know whether the doctors' surgeries will accept the European Card but I'll try the ones that seem to have agreements with the European Union. I'll just go and try it and ask the.

And it is maybe good indeed to have général health insurance in case something happens, because although the European card should mean I get the same care, there are sometimes a lot of bills that need to be paid before you can ask for reimbursement and I also cannot get it while abroad. Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. 

Its very difficult at the moment and I struggle to find solutions on my own. So thank you. 

[Ar...]
Posted (edited)

Healthcare and reimbursement (EHIC)

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/health/unplanned-healthcare/payments-reimbursements/index_en.htm

The card entitles you to obtain treatment in any public hospital/ medical centers.

If you contact the National Health service line you can obtain a referral. This means you do not have to pay any advance fees.

https://www.eu-healthcare.fi/health-services-abroad/country-specific-information-about-health-services/portugal/

Edited by [Ar...]
Additional info

[El...]

Oh thank you so much @[Ar...] ! this looks like it could be a huge help and possibly means I can delay getting a very costly private health insurance for the time being. 

Thanks so much for the research and info. That's lovely. I'll let you know if I get anywhere with it :):smitten: