Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Is akathisis a physical symptom?

[PE...]

Akathisia must count as a mental condition. I have no idea what happens in the brain when it's on. Nothing good..

[Ma...]

It’s a movement disorder that prevents you from sitting still. Most people have to pace non-stop, sometimes to the point that they only rest when their body literally gives out.

Like most symptoms it is the brain misfiring.

Emotional ‘restlessness’ is sometimes called by the same name but it’s not clinically the same.

• Like 4

[Re...]

@[be...] I believe akathisia is a mental symptom that manifest in a physical way, so to say, it is thought to be a condition when mental and physical symptoms are clearly linked. You can temporarily ease this "inner restlessness" (this is an understatement) with pacing.

[De...]
1 hour ago, [[R...] said:

@[be...] I believe akathisia is a mental symptom that manifest in a physical way, so to say, it is thought to be a condition when mental and physical symptoms are clearly linked. You can temporarily ease this "inner restlessness" (this is an understatement) with pacing.

How do you mean that mental And physical simptoms are linked? Maybe i don’t understand good because it didnt seem that was case for me. 
and i didnt find easing with pacing. It was torture neverending. 👀👀👀👀🤮

i am still scared of it👀

• Like 1

[vo...]

@[be...] From my own perspective, akathaisa is physical. But it's really not - it's only physical to ourselves. It's actually mental. My best example is that when I go to a dental hospital and have to walk corridors alongside the dentist, I have found myself apologizing for what feels like I am walking in a zig zag pattern. I found myself apologizing several times to the dentist and his response was always that I was fine, and why did I think I wasn't walking a straight line? When I can't sit still and I have to pace, I just keep doing it until I don't feel the need to pace any longer. When I can't keep my hands still I grab fidget toys that I bought on Amazon to calm my hands down. Etc.  I realize none of this is going to go away until these particular symptoms subside on their own, and I accept that. It's easier to accept it than fight it. tI hope this helps, a little at least 

[PE...]
17 hours ago, [[D...] said:

How do you mean that mental And physical simptoms are linked? Maybe i don’t understand good because it didnt seem that was case for me. 
and i didnt find easing with pacing. It was torture neverending. 👀👀👀👀🤮

i am still scared of it👀

Yeah me to. 

• Like 1