Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Safe to withdrawal or do I need to taper?

[Li...]
Posted (edited)

Hey all! While not new to GAD or what have you, I was reintroduced to Benzos because of my alcohol addiction (Sober for 6 days!).
Fast forward, my doctor put me on Xanax as my SSRI (Lexapro) doesn’t react well with my cerebral palsy and I stopped that immediately. She prescribed it as needed for a 30 ct. at 0.5mg. It’ll be a month (July 10th) and I have 11 left. Some days I took a full and others I broke them off into 2 0.25mg. What are my chances of withdrawal if I stop? Because I already have an active addiction I’m trying to remain sober from, I don’t want to trade one vice for another and I made it clear to my doctor. I know this may not be the place for medical advice but for those who have taken this drug or any other benzo your knowledge and experience would be appreciated. I already have hypochondria so my brain is already on edge. Thank you in advance! I also know that many have taken these drugs for years and I am hoping to get off this early before it truly becomes an issue.

The On-Call Doc told me to taper 0.25 for the next three days, then every other day for three days, then the remaining every 6 days.
As stated, I have 11 left so I broke them into halves (so 22).

I have been having rebound anxiety, burning in my hands and feet and head fullness.

Edited by [Li...]

[Co...]
1 hour ago, [[L...] said:

Hey all! While not new to GAD or what have you, I was reintroduced to Benzos because of my alcohol addiction (Sober for 6 days!).

Hello @[Li...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Congratulations on becoming sober!

Fast forward, my doctor put me on Xanax as my SSRI (Lexapro) doesn’t react well with my cerebral palsy and I stopped that immediately. She prescribed it as needed for a 30 ct. at 0.5mg. It’ll be a month (July 10th) and I have 11 left. Some days I took a full and others I broke them off into 2 0.25mg. What are my chances of withdrawal if I stop?

There are no withdrawal effects after truly short-term use. However, what constitutes 'short-term' varies between individuals. The chances are that you have not yet developed any meaningful dependency after about four weeks of use, but it is certainly possible. For this reason, benzodiazepines are now generally recommend for a few weeks use (or truly sporadic, 'as needed' use). The longer you take them, the higher the dose, and the greater the frequency of use, the more likely you will develop dependency.

Your 'as needed' doing - can you explain this a little more detail?

Because I already have an active addiction I’m trying to remain sober from, I don’t want to trade one vice for another and I made it clear to my doctor. I know this may not be the place for medical advice but for those who have taken this drug or any other benzo your knowledge and experience would be appreciated. I already have hypochondria so my brain is already on edge. Thank you in advance! I also know that many have taken these drugs for years and I am hoping to get off this early before it truly becomes an issue.

Did you have discussion with your doctor about cross-dependency between benzodiazepines and alcohol? It is common for benzodiazepines to result in a craving for alcohol in alcoholic. It is something to be mindful of.

And for clarity, can you confirm that benzodiazpines were not prescribed to manage acute withdrawal of alcohol? Because, as I am sure you know, they are often prescribed to prevent the risk seizure during acute alcohol withdrawal.

The On-Call Doc told me to taper 0.25 for the next three days, then every other day for three days, then the remaining every 6 days.
As stated, I have 11 left so I broke them into halves (so 22).

That's not ideal for most our members. More usually, they will make smaller reductions and take one or more doses per day. But after short-term use, I expect would manage a taper plan like that. The important thing - if you wish to avoid developing dependency - is to get off sooner rather than later. I think the plan is OK and will probably work for you in the circumstances.

I have been having rebound anxiety, burning in my hands and feet and head fullness.

Yes, entirely possible of course. Or even to be expected. I've never suffered from anxiety, but some of our members might be able to suggest some useful techniques for managing your symptoms.

[Li...]

Hey Colin! Thank you for the response!

"Your 'as needed' doing - can you explain this a little more detail?"

-Sure so I was prescribed a quantity of 30. I have 11 left so in a duration of 27 days I used most of my prescription everyday. I either broke them off and took two 0.25 at different times, sometimes a full or not at all. I work as a graphic designer and also because of my alcohol withdrawal, I was experiencing some episodes of anxiety.

"Did you have discussion with your doctor about cross-dependency between benzodiazepines and alcohol? It is common for benzodiazepines to result in a craving for alcohol in alcoholic. It is something to be mindful of.

And for clarity, can you confirm that benzodiazpines were not prescribed to manage acute withdrawal of alcohol? Because, as I am sure you know, they are often prescribed to prevent the risk seizure during acute alcohol withdrawal."

-Absolutely! That was one of my fears of being prescribed this medicine because it inhabits the same GABA receptors that alcohol does. When I went through my initial take at sobriety back on June 8th, I went through a terrible panic attack the next day with head fullness, etc. They gave me 150 mg. of Librium and tapered the dose off. I went and seen my doctor to be put on Naltrexone and explained that therapy and my SSRI (which I only took once) did not agree with my body. I have cerebral palsy so I was experiencing muscle rigidity. I told her it seems benzos are the only thing that have worked for my anxiety before. I do have an addictive personality which is a key reason why I was resistant on X. But it works... But I also don't want to trade my vice for another vice.

[Co...]

Hi @[Li...]

It is unfortunate that Xanax has a negative effect upon cerebral palsy spasticity - I understand that benzodiazepines are usually beneficial in its treatment. (But I do not know if there is potential tolerance or augmentation.)

Going back to your original question: in your circumstances, although your taper plan might not be what I'd call ideal, neither does it seem unreasonable to me. If it is aggravating the spasticity, and is risking your sobriety, getting off sooner than later (and avoiding dependency) would seem paramount.

Is it that you are afraid that the taper is too fast? If so, to reassure you, it would be generally too fast after extended use. But after limited, short-term use, it is better to taper off more quickly, as the longer you remain on it (even if tapering), the greater the risk of you developing dependency. Your quitting over a short period seems sensible to me in the circumstances.