Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Clonazepam dosing questions

[Al...]

If you are currently tapering clonazepam (or have done so in the past), it would be really helpful if you could answer the following questions? I'd like to use this information for my own tapering.

1: How many times do you dose per day?

2: At what time of day do you take your dose(s)?

3: If you divide your daily dose, what is your main reason for doing so?

Thanks!

[in...]

I took my 1mg in the morning. I felt really good during the rest of the day.

I did taper and quit though.

Are you experiencing interdose withdrawal symptoms?

[Al...]
1 minute ago, [[i...] said:

Are you experiencing interdose withdrawal symptoms?

I don't know, I thought I was, but I'm dosing twice a day now and have the same symptoms. It's hard to figure out what's going on.

[in...]
1 minute ago, [[A...] said:

Did you ever get interdose withdrawal?

Oh yes I did. That's why I decided to taper and quit. There was no point in torturing myself.

• Like 1

[Al...]

Just found this on the Benzodiazepam Information Coalition website.

Dosing Multiple Times Per Day

Depending on the half-life of their particular benzodiazepine, many patients find it helpful to take a dose several times per day (while keeping their total daily amount the same). Patients who dose evenly and at regular intervals may be more likely to complete a successful benzodiazepine taper because they don’t experience peaks and valleys in drug serum levels throughout the day that may make discontinuation intolerable. 

For example, some patients taking diazepam benefit from evenly dividing their doses and taking it two or three times a day; some on clonazepam benefit from dosing three or four times a day; and some taking lorazepam need to dose four or five times a day. Some patients on alprazolam require five or six daily doses to maintain steady serum levels. Where possible, all doses should remain as even as possible. 

• Like 2

[in...]

What dose are you on? When did you start and with how much?

[Al...]

I've just started tapering and I'm on just under 0.5 mg. I've been taking 0.5 mg daily for about 3 months (although on a few occasions I've taken 1 mg). I was also using it PRN for about 2 months.

[Al...]

I wish I was like you and could get off faster, but when I tried cutting larger amounts it hit me really hard. You hear different things. Some people say it's best to get off as soon as you safely can. Others say you should take it really slow.

[Al...]
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, [[i...] said:

PRN?

As needed. From the Latin term pro re nata apparently.

Edited by [Al...]
  • Like 1

[in...]
Just now, [[A...] said:

I wish I was like you and could get off faster, but when I tried cutting larger amounts it hit me really hard. You hear different things. Some people say it's best to get off as soon as you safely can. Others say you should take it really slow.

It's all about mindset at the end of the day. That's just my opinion though. We're all different and that's ok of course!

• Like 1

[Al...]
3 minutes ago, [[i...] said:

It's all about mindset at the end of the day. That's just my opinion though. We're all different and that's ok of course!

Yeah, I'm sure you're right that mindset is a big part of it.

• Like 1

[Al...]

Are the symptoms you are experiencing now different to the side effects you experienced on the drug?

[in...]
5 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Are the symptoms you are experiencing now different to the side effects you experienced on the drug?

They're about the same, just way less intense.

[Al...]

That's good. It sounds like getting off fast was the right decision for you.

• Like 1

[Al...]

I hate the side effects and would love to be off ASAP. I'm just concerned about rushing and potentially making things worse in the long term. Everyone reacts differently so it is difficult to know what to do. I guess you can only listen to your body.

[in...]
10 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

I hate the side effects and would love to be off ASAP. I'm just concerned about rushing and potentially making things worse in the long term. Everyone reacts differently so it is difficult to know what to do. I guess you can only listen to your body.

That's so true. Listen to the body and trust yourself.

• Like 1

[Al...]
Posted (edited)

Just posting the questions again so people don't have to scroll all the way to the top!

If you are currently tapering clonazepam (or have done so in the past), it would be really helpful if you could answer the following questions.

1: How many times do you dose per day?

2: At what time of day do you take your dose(s)?

3: If you divide your daily dose, what is your main reason for doing so?

Edited by [Al...]

[Ru...]

When I started tapering I only took it once a day at the exact same time, 5pm.

I'm a month out from taking my last dose.

• Like 2

[in...]
18 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

When I started tapering I only took it once a day at the exact same time, 5pm.

I'm a month out from taking my last dose.

What dose where you on? How are you feeling? 

[Ct...]

I take Clonazepam once a day before bed time. I started tapering 1 mg in January 2024 and am down to 0.5 mg. I am taking it slow to ensure I can successfully get off of it.

• Like 1

[Ru...]

@[in...] I was prescribed 1 mg daily (.5 mg twice a day) ten years ago. There were days that I took more. I feel pretty good, thankfully. Hoping you are doing well. Keep being positive. It helps!!

[Fa...]

You are welcome to view my history.

If you were only dosing once a day and began your taper only to experience symptoms as you reduced, you are likely experiencing WD symptoms which is to be expected.  Not all do.  Some are fortunate.  However, WD symptoms are to be expected for many as you taper your dose.  To what extent is completely individual.

The next question is at what rate are you reducing?  What percentage are your cuts?  This is important.  If you cut too fast, which is again very individual, you will experience more severe symptoms.  This would not be considered interdose withdrawal.  It would be considered a taper that was too rapid for your system.

School of thought is if you did not decide to taper as a result of tolerance and you started off in a stable position, to start to taper your dose as you were originally taking it...at your original time...is a good start when dealing with longer acting benzos such as Clonazepam and Diazepam.  One dose a day works for many during their taper.

PRN is tricky.  It can create the necessity for taking more than the one dose a day as the body was not used to one dose a day at the same time each day.  That is my situation and is why I am dosing twice a day, 12hrs apart.

It seems that you have split your dose now?  And, you stated that nothing has changed.  That is good that your symptoms are not worse from this change.  I know you were hoping for an outcome of not feeling the WD symptoms from splitting your dose.  It may be that you will have WD symptoms during your taper...but, taking steps to set yourself up for them to be as manageable as possible is the key.

Having said that, the less changes you make, the better.  Destabilizing your system can take some time to recover from, and you want to stay in a stable space as you continue to taper.  So, try to remain consistent in your dose and the time of your dose to keep the blood serum levels consistent.

The most important thing is to reduce at a pace you can handle.  That may require a little bit of experimentation.  We all want off the drug quickly, but going quickly is not tolerated by many.  We are all so very different, and comparing ourselves creates a lot of grief and suffering.  Just listen to your body.  Starting the cuts small and working your way to what you feel is the 'sweet spot' that can be maintained and feeling as comfortable as possible is important.

Warmly,

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hello @[Al...], may I ask what you finally did about your am and pm doses? 

Did you combine them? If you did so, did you do it at once or gradually? Did you experience increased sxs afterwards? 

I have tapered off rather fast half of my morning dose and am currently holding at 0,125 mg am and 0,25 mg pm. I am having some unpleasant sxs and am not sure if I should redistribute evenly the doses or continue tapering the morning dose. 

Many thanks in advance for your reply!

Edited by [Tr...]