Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Help please, has anyone dropped a dose of lorazepam towards the latter of their taper?

[Jo...]
Posted (edited)

Hi all, my phsyce suggested to me today that I should try to drop a dose of lorazepam so I’d be on 2 doses per day instead of 3 as it’s easier to do 2 cuts and also the cuts are getting smaller and smaller. He said I’m down to a low dose now of 0.32mg and I should be able to handle it but I’m scared, has anyone done this towards the end of their taper please?

Edited by [Jo...]

[Jo...]

Or should I get 

• Professionally compounded lower dose pills/capsules so I still stay on 3 doses per day?
  • can pharmacists compound such low doses?

[Fa...]

Are you having a hard time creating your low doses?  Cutting to two doses may be 'easier', but will it be manageable?

I am of the mind, especially as we get lower and toward the end of our taper, that if it isn't broke, don't fix it.  I do not feel that psychiatrists understand how important it is to not find ourselves in interdose WD and to keep the blood serum level consistent.  And, Lorazepam is a short acting benzo which is why several doses works well during a taper.

Any change to dosing can create a disturbance to our NS, and as such, you could experience increased symptoms.  And, in this case, potential interdose WD.  The name of the game is to stay as stable as possible all the way down so you can walk off with as much ease as possible.

Changing to a different delivery method can also create adjustments within the NS and can potentially create a blip.  Something to keep in mind as well.

What feels most comfortable for you is the most important thing.  These are just some things to keep in mind as you make your decision.

Warmly,

F

[Jo...]
20 hours ago, [[F...] said:

Are you having a hard time creating your low doses?  Cutting to two doses may be 'easier', but will it be manageable?

I am of the mind, especially as we get lower and toward the end of our taper, that if it isn't broke, don't fix it.  I do not feel that psychiatrists understand how important it is to not find ourselves in interdose WD and to keep the blood serum level consistent.  And, Lorazepam is a short acting benzo which is why several doses works well during a taper.

Any change to dosing can create a disturbance to our NS, and as such, you could experience increased symptoms.  And, in this case, potential interdose WD.  The name of the game is to stay as stable as possible all the way down so you can walk off with as much ease as possible.

Changing to a different delivery method can also create adjustments within the NS and can potentially create a blip.  Something to keep in mind as well.

What feels most comfortable for you is the most important thing.  These are just some things to keep in mind as you make your decision.

Warmly,

F

Hi @[Fa...] thank you so much for your reply, I totally agree with you and have been thinking about it, the 2 doses will be easier but not manageable for me so I’m just going to keep going with 3 doses which I’ve been doing for 18 months now.

It is hard cutting and weighing the 3 doses for everyday but I’ll get there.

Thanks again 

• Like 1

[Fa...]

@[Jo...]  I remember a fellow member tell me that making up their doses gave them something to do.  A form of distraction for a while.  I don't know how disruptive your symptoms are or if you look for distraction throughout your day.  But, if you look at it as taking a chunk of time to prep knowing that you are working towards freedom, the change in perspective may help you to feel empowered as you spend time shaving and weighing.  I'm not trying to be toxic positive here...just offering a different perspective to doing something that can feel overwhelming and frustrating at times.

Warmly,

F

[Jo...]
19 hours ago, [[F...] said:

@[Jo...]  I remember a fellow member tell me that making up their doses gave them something to do.  A form of distraction for a while.  I don't know how disruptive your symptoms are or if you look for distraction throughout your day.  But, if you look at it as taking a chunk of time to prep knowing that you are working towards freedom, the change in perspective may help you to feel empowered as you spend time shaving and weighing.  I'm not trying to be toxic positive here...just offering a different perspective to doing something that can feel overwhelming and frustrating at times.

Warmly,

F

Thanks so much @[Fa...] I  usually cut, weigh and prep the doses every Sunday for the whole week and put pieces in my pill organiser but this week I just couldn’t be bothered so I’ve been doing it 3 times per day. I think that’s a great idea to think of it as looking towards freedom for me.

Thanks again and hope you have a lovely weekend