Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Lost the ability to rationalise

[Lo...]

Lost the ability to rationalise anything , every situation is catastrophic no matter what I say to my brain or how much logic I give myself it can not be absorbed . I forget how people are able to rationalise , I forget what that is like . Anyone else have this happen ? 

[ba...]
Posted (edited)

Yes. It can last hours or days. Do you have some one you can ask to rationalize for you? I tell my husband when the anxiety has removed my ability to reason, and Im running on panic. I ask him for input how to handle whatever comes up during the day at those times. I trust his brain better than mine.

A second option is to make a list with 3 columns. The first column is the situation. the second entry is the worst outcome, the third is the best. Come to a consesus between worst and best, and write it down.

Even if your hyper manic and running on panic (which makes us do stupid thngs) decide the middle range between best and worst is a reasonable outcome.

We get like this because we desperately want control of every situation to ward off disaster. Such a thing is not possible. We have very little control of anything but ourselves. However, most, and I mean most, situations work out fine. Those that dont we must wait until the issue becomes a problem, not anticipate it, but wait. If it becomes a problem, then write a plan, do not impulsively freak out and jump in.

Hope that helps.

Edited by [ba...]
  • Like 2

[ba...]

And no doom scrolling, I know its tempting, dont do it until you calm down. By the time your brain is back, it will feel much different, and you will get enough objectivity back to be more rational.

You cant logic away what you are feeling. You can distract, getting away from the computer or wherever the situation is accessible helps. And wait.

• Like 1

[Cr...]
1 hour ago, [[L...] said:

Lost the ability to rationalise anything , every situation is catastrophic no matter what I say to my brain or how much logic I give myself it can not be absorbed . I forget how people are able to rationalise , I forget what that is like . Anyone else have this happen ? 

It seemed pretty rational for you to start a thread about how to cope with your irrational thinking :thumbsup:

You have more power over this than you give yourself credit for. You didn't lose the ability to rationalize.. the anxiety and wd symptoms are giving you that false impression. You are currently in recovery from a very irrational condition called "benzo withdrawal".

All that matters is that you recognize that these thought patterns are not normal for you. I mean you probably had intrusive thoughts in the past, but certainly not to this degree.

• Like 2

[da...]
10 hours ago, [[C...] said:

It seemed pretty rational for you to start a thread about how to cope with your irrational thinking :thumbsup:

You have more power over this than you give yourself credit for. You didn't lose the ability to rationalize.. the anxiety and wd symptoms are giving you that false impression. You are currently in recovery from a very irrational condition called "benzo withdrawal".

All that matters is that you recognize that these thought patterns are not normal for you. I mean you probably had intrusive thoughts in the past, but certainly not to this degree.

Best response honestly, well said. The anxiety is lying to him making him think like he isn’t reasonable or rational. Its chronic panic/constant state of anxiety. I know how horrible it feels 

[Lo...]
Posted (edited)

@[Cr...] If this is the case then why is everything that happens to me catastrophic  and never leaves my mind 

Edited by [Lo...]

[da...]
6 hours ago, [[L...] said:

@[Cr...] If this is the case then why is everything that happens to me catastrophic  and never leaves my mind 

That happens in general living. It isnt benzo brain, its a matter of perception and occurrences. One thing about this benzo experience is that we tend to think when were healed then everything about life will be perfect. Life wasnt perfect prior benzo nor will it be post benzo paws. What you’re experiencing is constant anxiety. 

• Like 1

[Lo...]

@[da...] I do remember my life before these drugs I never took them for very long , and I was not this way 

[Cr...]
7 hours ago, [[L...] said:

The why part is easy. It depends on the current state of your mind. If you spill a cup of tea in a normal state of mind you will just clean it up and make another cup and move on. If you spill a cup of tea in a very anxious state of mind, you might break down in tears and worry that you dropped it because of a brain tumor. If it was your last tea bag (and you drink tea to calm down) you will catastrophize the situation because the solution of going to the store for more tea seems a lot more difficult in high anxiety. 

You are more likely to dwell on that spilt tea way longer than necessary, worrying about all negative consequences that may occur. Since anxiety made you dwell on the tea so much, your subconcious brain now thinks it is a far more important issue than what it is. When you wake up the next morning don't be surprised if your brain is like "So... what are we gonna do about that tea incident from yesterday?"

Catastrophic thinking is normal for a highly anxious state. If that state is due to anxiety from benzo withdrawal it may even be worse. As it isn't a symptom of a natural state of mind but a symptom of the healing process.

Intrusive thoughts and catastrophic thinking can be relentless and feel present 24/7. Since we don't feel in control that is what leads to other catastrophic thinking like "I am going insane!!" or "This will never go away!".

If you use the search function you will find lots of posts about negative/pervasive intrusive thoughts. Then if you fast forward in time and read much later posts from those members you will see that they eventually overcame it.

• Like 1