Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Melatonin withdrawal

[Si...]

Hi, I am wondering about people's experiences with stopping melatonin.  i've been taking 4mg extended release for about a year.  I'm still in a very bad state from the benzo.  The melatonin does nothing for me; is it destabilising to just stop it?  I cannot taper as it is extended release but I can start with just cutting out one of the 2 pills.  

@[Si...], hi. I never tried melatonin myself but know people who took and stopped. Nobody ever mentioned any melatonin withdrawal. Sure it's not much of information, just something.

• Like 1

[Cr...]
4 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Hi, I am wondering about people's experiences with stopping melatonin.  i've been taking 4mg extended release for about a year.  I'm still in a very bad state from the benzo.  The melatonin does nothing for me; is it destabilising to just stop it?  I cannot taper as it is extended release but I can start with just cutting out one of the 2 pills.  

If your body is used to the melatonin supplement then a taper might help get it used to relying on its own melatonin production more easily. I imagine worse insomnia would be one of the only temporary drawbacks when cutting back.

So you have a bottle of 2mg Melatonin ER pills and take two a night correct? They do make 1 mg tablets as well. You could try a 2mg ER and 1 mg for awhile and see how long it takes for sleep to stabilize again. Then base your future cut dates off of that.

• Like 1

[De...]

I took melatonin for 2 months during wd. When i stopped i had one week of less sleep(instead of waking up in 9 am. I woke up in 6am). And then it went back to normal now i sleep with no problems

Before i took benzo i had problem with sleep after corona infection And i took melatonin for couple of months. When i stopped i didnt have any problem with sleep. 

• Like 2