Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tapering???

[To...]

I developed a tolerance to my dosage of clonazepam and was experiencing withdrawal symptoms while taking as prescribed. I received advice on this forum to cut my current dosage of.5mg twice daily in halves and take smaller doses more frequently. This method helped some but I still would wake up to withdrawals. Anyway I started tapering by excluding the morning dosage. Therefore I take .25mg at 12p,4p and 8p.  I planned to make reductions on a weekly basis. My question is should I wait until my body adjusts or continue with the planned tapering process regardless ?

[Pa...]

We typically suggest reducing according to your symptoms instead of a preplanned timeline, this will hopefully keep you functioning.  

Our Clonazepam users tell us they begin to feel symptoms around days 2-5 with them beginning to resolve around day 10.  It would make sense to wait until your symptoms level off a bit before reducing again, so I'd allow yourself at least 10 days between reductions, but your observations will determine when its best to reduce again. 

Your first cut was a big one, a 25% reduction, we typically suggest between 5-10%, how do you  feel?  Some members can get away with reducing a fairly large amount at the first, but have to slow down as the taper progresses.  I hope you're recording your symptom severity so you can use this information for your next reduction. 

[To...]

I am having withdrawal symptoms fairly intense. I was experiencing tolerance withdrawal symptoms while taking as prescribed and they were getting progressively worse. I started the taper yesterday and I feel terrible.  The smaller doses aren’t working till the next dose as I am taking .25mg at 12p, 4p and 8p. 

[Pa...]

@[To...], you have a couple of choices, you can go back to your regular dose and hold until you stabilize, or you can wait this out in the hope you'll eventually stabilize, neither choice is good, I know.  Whatever you decide, I believe a much smaller reduction would be wise. This is what we go through to be free from the medication, I know its painful.  Which option seems better for you?

Something you need to know, after we're benzo free, there is recovery and that can take as long or longer than the taper so its in your best interest to go slow in order to keep your symptoms from becoming any more intense.  I hate to see you suffer so much when I know you'll still face these symptoms when you're free of the clonazepam. 

[To...]

You’re correct there is no good choice because the current dosage is not working because even if I went back to the regular dosage I have built up a tolerance and still suffer from withdrawal symptoms.  In addition my dr would not up my dose if I wanted him to. I want to be free of benzodiazepines and I will continue with the taper. I am so miserable and it sucks so bad. I know tapering is supposed to ease the effects of withdrawal but my situation is such that I was withdrawing while taking as prescribed so either way I am screwed. I feel like if I am suffering and tapering at least I am making progress. The next reduction I will make smaller. I have very little faith in my dr and I am on my own. I thought about going to a facility to detox but there is no magic wand that is going to make it easier. I feel like my head is on fire and electricity is running through my body. I hate it so much!! I truly appreciate your support. 

[Pa...]

Yes @[To...], some members who are in tolerance report feeling some relief when they begin to taper, but not all so what you're feeling is common. 

I'm so glad you understand that detox doesn't work for us, sure, they can get you safely off the drug but they'll send you home to suffer.  The medications they prescribe for comfort can't save us from this, and sometimes they make things worse.

I can see you're determined, you have the right attitude and I look forward to seeing your progress. 

• Like 1

[To...]

I cannot tell you enough how grateful I am for your input and support. I know everyday I am removed from this drug is a day closer to being free of this horrible experience. I also use the withdrawal symptoms as motivation because I know that’s one less day of suffering and to keep taking this drug will only cause me more pain in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[To...]

This is day 5 of my taper. I made a 25% reduction and that might have been to much  Today has been a weird one. I have a lot going on in my head and my BP spiked. I don’t feel a lot of relief when I take the other portion of my prescribed dosage. I have also come to the realization that a beta blocker that I have been taking is a culprit in a lot of my symptoms. This has been an ongoing thought process and I have realized that the clonazepam I was taking was only masking the side effects of the beta blocker. I am torn between continuing the taper or seeing my cardiologist about the beta blocker before I continue the taper. I know I can’t do both at the same time. Anyway this is where I am at…..

[Pa...]

I don't have experience with beta blockers but I know a lot of members go on one when they're going through this, when did you get prescribed and what makes you suspect it rather than the clonazepam taper?

[Ma...]
On 09/07/2024 at 22:33, [[T...] said:

I am torn between continuing the taper or seeing my cardiologist about the beta blocker before I continue the taper. I know I can’t do both at the same time.

I can’t give you medical advice but the beta blocker is more likely HELPING than hurting you in terms of your WD symptoms.  In fact, a lot of people use low doses of propranolol or other beta blockers to deal with some rebound anxiety physical symptoms - palpitations, racing heart, high blood pressure etc.  And if your blood pressure is high, you should definitely not stop taking it without talking to your cardiologist.  Best. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
[Tr...]

Hello @[To...],

I am very sorry that you feel like this. I have some problems with sporadic heart palpitations after reducing my Clonazepam dose from 0.5 to 0.375 mg (25% reduction like you did) within 2 weeks. 

May I ask how you feel now? Are you still on 0.375 mg or did you reinstate to 0.5 mg?

Thanks in advance for your reply! I really hope that you feel better!