Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Are sweeteners a problem for people?

[Bi...]
Posted (edited)

I've had a product today that I also had last week, but on looking at the ingredients there is no added sugar (lots of fruit and things) but two sweeteners: Acesulfame K and Sucralose - has anyone had sweeteners cause any waves or anything?

As I've had a tricky wave this week and it could have been cause by hormones but now wondering if this is playing a part in it.

Edited by [Bi...]

[Re...]

Hello @[Bi...], I have had a cone of sugar free ice cream - completely by accident - that did cause a very temporary flare up of my symptoms. It took about half a day for this issue to resolve. The connection was clear then, I was really surprised, too.

I am not sure which sweetener has been used in that specific product.

Hormonal changes can cause symptoms to insensify as well, members do report this. It might be better to avoid bigger amounts of artificial sweeteners during these sensitized periods (if possible). 

I you use the "Search bar", you will find quite a few members reporting this issue. 

[Bi...]

True, I did search it and there aren't too many posts about them. Just confused and worried me, considering how much sugar is brought up as a risk

[Cr...]

I have always avoided aspartame as often as I could even before withdrawal. There are some studies that show links to it affecting mental health and possibly cancer.

That said almost everything these days is bad for you. Even produce unless you pay extra for organic. Sadly not everyone can afford to eat extremely healthy or grow their own produce.

[vo...]
6 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

I have always avoided aspartame as often as I could even before withdrawal. There are some studies that show links to it affecting mental health and possibly cancer.

That said almost everything these days is bad for you. Even produce unless you pay extra for organic. Sadly not everyone can afford to eat extremely healthy or grow their own produce.

Crono - You are so right!  Even organic isn't always safe any longer unless you get it from a local farmers market because that produce is packaged in plastic that have particles that become embedded in fruit/vegetables.

[Bi...]
Posted (edited)

Okay, thankyou. This is a bit of a reassurance though that I shouldn't have caused myself any big problems with it, and I'm always trying to find more natural options first of all.

Edited by [Bi...]

[or...]
Posted (edited)

I've use Stevia in white, powder form, and liquid.  I don't use a lot of it, only one of it's small scoops in my one decaf in the a.m. and I make cacao/raw no sugars added to some fat-bombs I make an ice-tray full of once in awhile.  Sugars, starches, and other so-called healthy foods led me to being Insulin Resistant, and eventually a T2 Diabetic.  So I wouldn't put my money on using sugar/high carbs either, oregonlady,

PS bottom line, we are affected easily because our immune systems can be compromised.  I do anti-inflammatory foods, and eat what I believe builds my immune system. Symptoms are caused by our body fighting for us, it's trying to "rebuild" after the affects of the benzo(s). Try not to worry, or be afraid of what is happening. If I wasn't having any symptoms when withdrawing from a benzo, I'd figure I wasn't getting rid of the crap.

Edited by [or...]